Sell me on a ground blind

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by greatwhitehunter3, Feb 9, 2016.

1. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After some in season scouting trips and harvest sightings, I figured out I need to invest in a good ground blind. I've got an Ameristep doghouse blind right now which works just fine for gun hunting but I cant stand bow hunting out of it because it's way too small to draw properly in.

The areas that I have pin pointed, among others, are in corners of our fields with CRP on the other side of the fenceline. Numerous times I watched bucks out in the CRP and would venture into our fields to eat; within 30 yards of the corners every time. Most of these corners are rounded off to make planting easier so there is a pretty good area to throw a blind in.

I'm looking for something that you guys would recommend for bow hunting (size wise and ability to shoot out of), has to have some decent stubble straps, something that deer can't hear me open the windows/doors from two miles away and if it all possible, $250 or less.

2. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Barronett Big Mike gives plenty of room to fully draw your bow. Hooks and Zippers for windows keeps it quite. Pockets on inside for whatever and there are some hooks on the inside for bows or bino's. Tie downs and slots for branches as well.

The only negative thing I have to say is you need a nice high chair to see out windows well, but when shooting a bow you need something that sits upright anyways.

Go BIG with Barronett Blinds

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  3. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep what No.6 said-- local Rural King has then for around $140

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are a lot of good blinds out there that fall into that category but if you want to buy a blind that will last 10 years or more and will stand up to 12" of wet, heavy snow, the only one that I have found is a blind from "Lucky's Hunting Blinds." They are more money but they are worth every penny.

5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a good experience with an Ameristep Dominator this season. Cost me $89 at walmart and had plenty of room to draw my bow with my wife and son in the blind with me. The only weakness is that is not durable enough for winters up north. However, it has worked great for me in the milder climate in Arkansas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    I actually just saw that one while looking around at wal mart for $75 and thought it looked decent.

7. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Do any blinds have stubble straps? Maybe it isn't necessary but I sure like the piece of mind having it blend in better than just a big camo box sitting there.

8. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lucky's Hunting Blinds all have straps to tie on whatever to the top to help you brush it in.

9. western-wi

western-wi Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've had a couple of the Barronett blinds- one was the Grounder 250 and one was an older model that is no longer available. Plenty of room to shoot a bow out of and both had little straps or whatever to secure brush to your blind. I didn't mind the window configuration on them but hated the adjustability of said window openings or lack there of. The zippers on the Barronett's, at least the couple I had, are cheap and not that good. They'd always split / get jammed up and I had the little zipper pull thing break in half after using the blind a couple times. At the same time, they didn't cost me a ton, so I can't complain too much and they served their purpose.

That being said, I broke down and just ordered a Double Bull off of Amazon. 45% off and free shipping. Grand total after tax was like $275-280.

Amazon.com : Primos Double Bull Deluxe Ground Blind, Truth Camo : Sports & Outdoors

10. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used black zip ties. Works just as well and cost about $3.00 to buy a pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. ShaneB22

ShaneB22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a primos club and I like it. It was worth the $80 but now it has a couple holes now because of 40mph winds and it was in the middle of a thorn bush.

12. PushmatahaHunter

PushmatahaHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using a double bull sense before they where bought out by primos and in my opinion they are the best blinds out there. The last one I got was the primos double bull bullpen if I remember correctly I paid just over $250.

13. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rhino XP1 Ground blinds have stubble straps on them to help brush the blind in. I have one and I love it.

14. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Headed to Cabela's next weekend so i'll have to get in a few of these and see them in person. Liking the idea of the Big Mike so far. I'd rather have the blades camo since i'll be using mostly along corn and CRP and I see Cabela's only carries backwoods camo. Have a gift card for Cabela's that I wouldn't mind using on it but it's not a deal breaker if I cant get it there because I'm sure I can find it cheaper elsewhere.

It seems like the windows are able to be folded down low enough on it that a sitting shot is still a viable option rather than a standing shot every time?

15. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sitting is an option for shooting as long as your seat height isn't to low, the barronett windows seem to be higher than most other brands.

Chair I use - Gander Mountain 360 Hunting Camo Adjustable Swivel Chair-881490 - Gander Mountain

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  16. Tmpky

Tmpky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  17. No.6Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Chair is a little heavy but is east to carry with strap. I can travel easy enough on foot with my blind, this chair, and my bow but I generally set it and leave it.

18. macsolocam

macsolocam Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For 250$ or less you can call primos and get a refurbished double bull still with a lifetime warranty, just depends when you call what they'll have on hand ,

Advantages to a double bull over barronett or ameristep is the fabric is super this, and hubs are tough.

I'd call and if they have a dark horse I'd jump on it, I bought a refurbished matrix 360 and its been an awesome buy for 125$

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

19. greatwhitehunter3

Dislikes Received:
    Might have to look into that, thanks!