Second chance bucks?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by early in, Oct 20, 2019.

1. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was curious if anyone has wounded and not killed a buck, and had another encounter with him later in the season? I took a poor shot at this buck and got poor results. I believe he's still alive. Story in Team 12 thread.

Attached Files:

2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great buck, love the brows. You could still get a crack at him again. I shot one, stick deflected arrow non lethal hit. Then later that same day my buddy killed him on the ridge over. Still blows my mind, thousands of acres. Just meant to be.

early in likes this.
  3. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shot one in the shoulder quite a few years ago. Arrow stayed in him, but found pieces of the arrow on the track that night. Followed for miles, but never found him. He lived for maybe 2 months. But he did die from his wounds. I found him shortly after he died while i was tracking another deer. He died in his bedding area, just about 75 yards from were I shot him on that first night. I never saw him again or got any pics of him. I had hundreds of pics before that day. He stayed very hidden and if it wasn't by chance of stumbled on him while tracking that other deer, I may have never found him.

I would go back and look for birds. You never know he could be laying right there.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

early in likes this.
  4. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shot this buck last year. Hit high above the back bone. We tracked him for 5-600 yards until blood quit. I went back for 3 days searching for him. 8 days later he came into the same stand and I killed him at 7 yards.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

early in likes this.
  5. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've missed them and have killed them later on in the season, but I have never killed one I wounded prior.

early in likes this.
  6. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    OK/Sooner, I would have been sick to my stomach if I wounded that monster! You were very fortunate to wind up killing him, especially at that range. :tu:

I'm hoping the Lord will give me a chance to close the deal, because after it's all said and done with, I honestly don't think my buck died from the wound I caused. I'll be putting in the whole week of Nov 4th to make good.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  7. Ryguy3684

Ryguy3684 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I stuck one last year, opening weekend, in the hardest part of the shoulder. I got about 1" of penetration. Saw him on trail cams later that week, and was able to close the deal on him a few weeks later. Keep your head up. It happens to the best of us, and there's plenty of time to see him again.

early in likes this.
  8. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Buck? No.

But I’m 2007 I shot a doe in early October that I hit high. I never found any blood, or found her. My arrow was covered fatty tissue indicative of a high back hit.

2 weeks later, from the same spot, a doe plopped out to the same spot and I killed her. It wasn’t until I butchered her that I notice where my G5 Montec had sliced through her back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

I still to this day don't know why he came back but I'm sure glad he did. I actually got a trail camera pic of him in between the two shootings. I knew he was alive but never thought he'd come back.