Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Scouting

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by HardLuckLarry, Aug 16, 2019.

1. HardLuckLarry

HardLuckLarry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For the first time in a looong time, I grabbed my binoculars and went scouting for deer sign on one of the public lands I plan on hunting this year. I have hunted the place before, but hadn't had any luck there. Observations:
    1) I was seated on a log at my fave squirrel hunting spot and glassed about for deer sign/rubs/etc, when I heard what was most certainly deer moving through the woods behind me (downwind). Thinking they got a whiff of my lovely Humanus Perfumus and went to tell their friends.
    2) Found a major deer trail I had not noticed before, but there were several spider webs in the way so I'm reasonably sure it hasn't been used recently. Maybe later in the year it's used more?
    3) Went to a spot I've wanted to check out for a long time but never bothered to do so before. The ground was well covered with hickory nuts, but no fresh sign of deer there, just old rubs, a few old piles of doo, and the tracks of a fawn going through a small creek. I did note this spot is ideal to get to a part of the public land that is likely less visited due to lack of road access.
    Hope you don't mind me rambling on about this. Just wanted to share!

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck, just remember every sit you are not successful the closer you are to the sit when you will be successful.

Cannon06 and HardLuckLarry like this.
Tags: