Scouting finds. Which ones are worth hunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by GCLIFT, Mar 20, 2011.

1. GCLIFT

GCLIFT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So yesterday I went shed hunting, and since I am horrible at shed hunting it turned into more of a scouting trip. I found a lot of rubs and scrapes but don't know how I would hunt them. Now I know that these finds will probably not be there next year, but I am wanting to know just how to hunt it and learn something. Like what sign is worth hunting and if it is how should I hunt it.

-The monster scrape was a scrape that was about 4 ft. by 7 ft. It was the biggest scrape I have ever seen in these woods and there was another smaller scrape by it and some rubs. This scrape had no licking branch though, is that okay?

-The 3 scrapes kinda around that opening are around a food plot, basically that opening is a food plot.

-Finally, the orange and pink lines are rub lines. There was a rub line along the orange line last year too.

I would appreciate any advice or knowledge!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    GC, very cool looking property. Where have you seen deer/bucks before while hunting? Where is the food?

Here is a marked up map to spur some thoughts and discussion..nothing groundbreaking.

[​IMG]

3. GCLIFT

GCLIFT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    VS, the timber all on the east and north are hardwoods that have tons of acorns. There are no crop fields anywhere and scrape 1, 2, and 3 are all around a food plot that is in that opening. That point you asked about is on the neighboring property that I don't have rights to be on. The fence runs about forty yards east of where I found that big scrape at. Thanks.

4. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    GC, I know I am asking you a lot of questions but I am trying to help you formulate a game plan.

Have you ever seen where those deer cross that fence to the east of that scrape? How high is the fence? Are there any breaks in the fence? How many people hunt the property you hunt on and where do they hunt? Does anyone hunt on the eastern side of that fence?

If those does are bedded up on that hill to the south, all those doe probably cross in the area of that huge scrape just before dark on their way back to bed. More than likely it is a huge community scrape. My guess it would probably be pretty hard to hunt until the last hour of the day when the thermals settle down or the first 45 minutes or so of sun-up before the thermals start to rise. Then I would get out of there if I didn't see anything and move to a pinch point or something some distance of that scrape.

To me, I see those points to the east off your property as being better bedding, BUT I do not know since I have never stepped foot on that property. How does that swampy area look to the west in terms of thicker/nastier bedding and does anyone hunt it?

5. GCLIFT

GCLIFT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have never seen where they cross it exactly, but the ice storm a few years backed knocked a tree down on the fence right there to the east of it and that might be why they are crossing there.

I am pretty sure that someone hunts the property to the east but I don't know them. Only reason why I know that is the trespassed and shot a nice buck on the place I can hunt a few years ago. Me and the guy that owns it are pretty much the only two that hunt it, unless my brother comes with me. So there really isn't a lot of pressure.

The thermals and stuff like that are the things that I am really trying to learn and become a better buck hunter. As far as the slough goes, it is thick and nasty and big! There is about 300 acres or so of cattails and they are dry now because the slough has been drained. I walked it out some a couple weeks ago and found an awesome trail cutting across it with rubs all down it. Ask all the questions you want, I am wanting to learn and figure as much out about how to hunt these bucks as I can!!

6. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Are there are any raised parts/small hills in the slough where the deer could seek cover and bed when the pressure mounts?

I would head in and check around that fence to see if any well developed trails exist and how they flow. Do you guys access your hunting spot from the northwest every time?

Have you ever hunted that edgeline between the treeline and the swamp with a northeast or east wind? If so, did you see anything moving. I can just picture a deer slowly moving along that edgeline, smelling from inside the woods and using the swamp as an escape if anything goes wrong.

7. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You could write a book on what little a map you've shown us. A lot of good topography coming together in the right places. But I'll stick to your Q's only.

Any time you find a scrape deep inside the wooded realm.. be happy. What you've likely uncovered is a community scrape.. and its funny you mention the no licking branches.. as I never find any scrapes without these unless they're deep in a creek bank where lots 'o' does can be usually found.

I think that's what you have here.. a community scrape near the ladies.. and VERY near. I wouldn't even think about hunting it until the rut.. and even then you'd have to get in early morning waiting for does to return to bed and dragging a buck with them.

I will generally tell you also that scrapes in open feeding areas are usually bad places to hunt... until the early stages of scrape making occur in your area (late October for me).. and chances are you'll probably put to much pressure on the food plot anyway before then so you might as well ignore them.. keep them in your memory.. but ignore them.

Rub lines.. not enough info on this one.. but just about where these two rub lines meet might be an interesting place come the breeding season.. just a touch ESE should put you close.

Again.. sign is GREAT.. but it relies heavily on the pressure you're going to give before the right time to move in. Otherwise.. get back in the woods more and look for other such phenomenon.

Good luck.

8. GCLIFT

GCLIFT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, the slough is full of bedding areas/spots but access through 7-8 ft. cattails make them quite hard to find. One of the biggest bucks seen on the property was seen when he popped his head out into that field just east of rub 3, then he went back into the slough. He never left the timber. I am gonna try and get back down there this weekend and do some more scouting and will check out that fence.

As far as access, the Northwest corner is the only way you can access this property. If is land locked and the guy that owns it also owns the property caddy corner to it on the Northwest. So that's how we can access it. I have never hunted that edgeline but it is a good idea and something I might think of doing in the future. Thanks again VS!

-Duke

Thank you very much. I am gonna try and get back down there as soon as I can and will hopefully uncover some more clues. If you have any more advice I would greatly appreciate it!