scents?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by lgordon711, Oct 15, 2014.

1. lgordon711

lgordon711 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt in southern Illinois can I start using tinks 69 yet or is it too early. If it is too early what should I use.

2. Ztachick

Ztachick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Everything I've read for pre rut is just don't use any scent. But that's just what I have read online recently.

3. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    yeah I was going to put out some tinks power scrape but since some bucks are already working some scrapes I did not know if I could put up the bombs or anything yet?

4. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's all personal preference and what works for you in your area/style of hunting. A lot of it is trial and error. Over the years I have went for the more simple approach and had the same results that I had prior and been saving money and time.

5. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I have never used scents much. I have a bit in the past years during the rut but never any other time. This is my last year to bow hunt basically every week because I will graduate from college in December and I am trying to move away. I have gotten a couple really nice deer with a shot gun but never a decent buck with my bow. I just want to go for broke this season and maximize my chances. I guess if stuff does not work im not really loosing much because the chance of killing a decent buck anyways are really slim.
    I went ahead and bought some tinks power scrape and trophy buck lure. They say that it can be good in the early and pre rut seasons but that may just be marketing to get you to buy the product. I was trying to see if you guys had any tips or suggestions.

6. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The one scents I do have really good sucess with is wall hanger by James valley, it seems to work well pre-rut into the rut it keeps deer hanging around they don't want to leave, but there's no scent that will automatically draw in big bucks. Keep it simple, scout.hunt pinch points and funnels. Food early in the season. Hunt where the does are and close to bedding areas without jumping anything all phases of the rut. Always have the wind in your favor. I also make scent drags with some estrous and hang them 20 yds crosswind to my stand had some bucks follow them in in the past. Good luck man.

7. DnH_Scents

DnH_Scents Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What are your goals? How do you plan to use the scents?

8. lgordon711

Dislikes Received:
    I plan on making a mock scrape near one or multiple stand locations. Not all incase I do something wrong and piss them off or something. I also bought one bottle of trophy buck lure and scent bomb to bring with me when I hunt to hang close to me in a shooting lane. I would like to buy some of the forehead glade scent whats it called the orbital gland off line to make a mock licking branch. But for now I will probably just spray a little bit of the power scrape in the tree.