Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Scentmaster Box Anyone???

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by tynimiller, Sep 12, 2015.

1. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have my ozone "locker" up and running. I might have to do a post when I get out of work. It seems to be doing pretty well. I can put a towel in there that's musty smelling and the next morning it smells clean and fresh. The ozone generator is having a tough time keeping up with my boots, however. I think it would be good to put a boot dryer in there. Anyways, let my know how your box works out. I'd love a dedicated room for all my clothing and gear. I might have to talk the mrs. into one of those in the basement...and a walk in cooler...and a trophy room.

2. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You going to Will's camp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's the plan stan! You guys have made me absolutely HAVE TO MAKE IT OUT! The Mulie tag idea the first year a good one? Never been elk hunting and figured if I was the mulie tag in a group I could learn as I go and be the one if a mulie is spotted.

4. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't see many mulies while in the mountains. Saw lots on the road but none while looking for elk. I could have shot a doe the very First hour I was hunting though.

I didn't get a tag because I didn't want to spend so much for the 2 tags. I wanted an elk so I dove on in. Most of the mulies shot were taken by driving around the logging roads seeing deer off the road. Then they would get out and get as close as they could for the shot. Not my kind of hunting.

5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Hmmmm.....well that changes the plan on that end of things....perhaps won't grab a mulie tag. Just being completely oblivious to Elk hunting trying to think of best way to learn by watching others tagging along but not wasting the trip entirely.

6. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    Had a blast going solo. But there's several guys who would let you tag along. Bails and I will be backpacking to his secret spot and staying out a few nights probably. Hopefully he shoots one the week before I get there so I get a guide! Haha

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Ooo...and you need to shoot one day 1 so you can guide me then bahaha!

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, before I got to Tackles comment I was just thinking of saying to learn to hunt and it wouldn't matter. Evercalm is the best scent related item I've ever used and I like the fresh earth scent dryer sheets and spray. My personal belief is you aren't going to fool a deers nose if circumstances are bad and those are somewhat preventable. Trying to fool a deers nose is somewhat like trying to get an arrow fast enough that a deer won't duck it.

9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Love evercalm!!!

10. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Me too, just don't be stupid like me last year and order the elk scent stick by accident. It don't work for chit for whitetails. :lol:

11. soccerdan90

Dislikes Received:
    You are more then welcome to tag along! And I would love to shoot one on day 1! Haha

12. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Bet you'd have crapped bricks if some morning you hear bugling.....

13. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Haha. You know that may actually not be that far off in the future...MO now has some elk not too terribly far from here. DNR claims they try to contain them in the state park but we all know how that's going to go.

I would crap two bricks, once at the bugle and once as I loaded the big sob with the tractor loader. :lol:

14. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had three separate muley bucks at less than 40 yds while on the mountain where we hunted, the smallest was 150ish, biggest pushing 180 all in full velvet. I stopped counting does after day 2. Those bucks were around 9k ft. Down a bit lower in the oaks the muleys were everywhere.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  15. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I had it my way I'd have a muley, elk and bear tag in my pocket next year. There was plenty of all three around our area. That'd get expensive though :)

16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Nice, that is why I thought perhaps my first trip I could be the muley guy in the group...I just fear blindly chasing elk for days on end pretty much doing nothing more than nature hiking because Elk hunting is a completely different ballgame and I have never stepped foot on it's field.

I've thought about that as well...well minus the bear one. However, I'm gonna be stretching my graces and pocket book for just one or the other, especially if I down a buck this year that will entail taxidermy. (or 2 if I tag early and hit MI for another)

17. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Well the Scentmaster Box came in yesterday....got it up and running....more thoughts to come probably on a separate thread.