???ScentBlocker???

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WV Jess, Oct 13, 2014.

1. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a ScentBlocker Outfitter suit that is probably 5-6 years old. Does anybody know how long the carbon stays effective? I recharge it 7-8 times every hunting season and wash it 2-3 times a year with Atsko sport wash. Just curious.

2. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    IMO, I'd say it's probably shot as far as scent control. That is just my opinion though...lol. I bought some of their new Trinity stuff this year and really like it so far. It's suppose to last longer from what I'm told, can't say for sure though.

3. WV Jess

WV Jess Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I kind of figured. I looked at the Trinity stuff but can't afford top of the line duds anymore. My outfitter suit is still like new and still waterproof so I think I might look into purchasing a base layer to wear underneath it.

4. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LOL dear god, now our jackets have expiration dates??? These modern marketers are incredible at making people do stupid stuff. MAn your jacket is just fine!!! The carbon did so little brand new that it won't make a difference if its 30 years old. Anyone in the water purification, air filtration etc businesses who use carbon daily would laugh there butts off just at the thought of how we use it in hunting. Its honestly hilarious.

Keep your gear clean, keep yourself clean, use sprays if you wish to eliminate more scent, and hunt the wind. Wind is key and always was and always will be. Unless your wearing a fully vacuum sealed suit, including covering your HEAD, your jacket is not doing very much at all. Remember the old lumberjack jackets you see Fred Bear wearing in his old pics??? Remember Natives in nothing more then some leather underwear???? Stay clean, and watch the wind, period.

5. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    But the manufacturer recommends replacing a suit every 2 years. Lol.

I agree with you completely. It's amazing how good marketers have gotten.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah but the guys on the hunting shows tell us how they could have never shot the big old buck without using those products

7. KHNC

KHNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As a former rep for Scentlok, I can tell you the life of a carbon garment is 3 years with proper care. This type of clothing is not a cure all nor was it ever marketed as such. Its been proven time and again that carbon suits are effective at reducing scent along with a proper regimen of scent control. Having said that, I have Scent-lok clothing 5-6 years old that I still use. I don't expect it to contain my scent as effectively but the garments are still in top condition. The quality of these garments have always been top notch. If you practice a good scent control regimen, by all means keep wearing what you have. If you can afford a new set of garments, it has been proven to be effective in controlling your stink.

8. Chago

Chago Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mean this as an attack on you in anyway. But come on what studies have shown this??? A guy in Texas sat on a deer farm and less deer were spooked one day over the other? You and I know these self run studies in any industry are hilarious. Remember when 8 out of 10 doctors said smoking was good for you? I remember that study.

9. devrieshunter

devrieshunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A tip: you don't need a scent free suit. I wear realtree camo jean or pants and a realtree camo shirt or coat depending on temp. Neither of these is scent lock. But what I do use is Scent Killer Gold with hunt dry technology scent eliminator spray. I usually spray it on my butt, face/head, hands, armpits, and everywhere below the waste. When I killed my dear this last sunday I starting by just sitting on the ground in one spot. An hour later I moved about 20 yards away to sit on a log. The deer I shot was standing directly on top of where I was sitting and he had NO CLUE. He was just chowin on acorns. That spray is magic I swear.

10. KHNC

KHNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are serious about what studies have shown this??? I just posted a huge write up the other week showing an independent SCIENTIFIC study that show its effective.

Here is a question for you. Can you show me ANY study that 100% proves that scentlok or scentblocker doesn't work? There are plenty of people out there rebutting its effectiveness, but haven't even used it or used it improperly. As I said, there are several Scientific studies showing it works. If you have a scientific study showing it doesn't, please post a link.

11. KHNC

KHNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can also hunt naked if you prefer. You will kill a deer if you hunt long enough. This has nothing to do with whether anyone "needs" a carbon lined suit. Its a matter of whether or not you choose to embrace the technology available.

12. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Clear as day, guys...

13. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    On my older scent lok or Native Species camo (same pattern but not scent treated as my scent lok) I spray them down with Carbon Synergy activated carbon powder mixed with water. Obviously this applies carbon to the outer parts and inside if you spray them and let them dry. I even before the season fill up a tote of the mixture and everything gets hand dunked and rubbed to saturate them and then air dried. Carbon is proven to help lesson scent but it does have a life expectancy...Carbon powder mixtures help re-introduce some of the power lost, but I don't expect it to be as good as when brand new.

14. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    LOL. No.

15. KHNC

KHNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Care to elaborate?

16. Swampthing

Dislikes Received:
    Why do you think the army throws away carbon suits after 48 hours of use?

And you can't reactivate carbon clothing. You'd burn the clothing in the process.

17. KHNC

KHNC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    http://www.scentlok.com/wp-content/uploads/tech/ALS_Testing_Data.pdf

Do you care to comment on the results of this testing? This was done with clothing hanging on a rack in a cabelas store available for purchase. It was washed and dried for one hour on high heat.

18. Swampthing

Dislikes Received:
    I skimmed it. How does that confirm your 3 years statement. Looks like that test was only 24 hours.

How come when I fart in my scentlok suit I can smell it?

19. montec

montec Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This kinda answers itself. If the military is doing chemical/biological exercises, why would you reuse the suit. Apples to oranges comparison.

20. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Proves the reactivating process does work...something all chemist believe in to an extent. Now as for the farting...um, you do realize the escape of air from you is probably faster than the garments can absorb right? Also depending what you've ate, there isn't any garment out there capable of stopping some smells haha!