Safety harness whats the difference?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by AdamC, Oct 23, 2015.

1. AdamC

AdamC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just started wearing a tree stand harness this year and I dont like it!!! I have tried several and The ajustment is what I dont like on most of them and some are just not comfortable. The tree spider micro is probally what I like the best but it seems like its always tangled when its time to put it on. I know its like a motorcycle helmet It would be less hassle and more comfortable to just not wear one but I have kids and I dont want something that is very preventable to leave them with a dead or disabled dad. I know several people say that once you use a rock climbing harness you will never go back to a tree stand harness again so why ? what is the difference?

2. AdamC

AdamC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not to mention I feel way more comfortable(mentally) up 20ft in the air

3. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    what brand are you wearing? I tried the ones that come with stands and they are terrible. I dropped the cash on a muddy harness a few years back and love it. Simple to put on and comfortable enough to wear.

4. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got the Big Game EZ On harness and have no complaints.

5. fingerz42

fingerz42 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I, too, am looking for a new harness. I have a 2007 or 2008 model of a HSS Tree Stalker vest style harness. It's outdated and a bit too bulky. I was looking into the Muddy vest harness and the HSS vest harness, but I may want to look at just an ultralite barebones type harness. The vest ones are nice for extra pockets but then you lose the ability to get to your jacket pockets, so it's no real gain.

6. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the HSS Vest, it is great and considerably better than the junk harness that came with my stand.

7. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would go with a harness made for hunting. You should be able to find one that is more comfortable for you. If you would look at non-hunting harness, climbing or roofing, they don't typically have the built in tether on the back so you would need to buy or create one that is the right length. Hunting harnesses already have that done for you

8. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Muddy harness and it is excellent. It is so light and comfortable I have driven home with it on forgetting I was wearing it. I tried a rock climbing harness and I am in the minority that I did not like it. It doesn't stay up on long hikes (I like to have my harness on at the truck for less fuss at the tree), the front mounted tree strap gets in the way if you have to switch sides of the tree looking behind you. I gave it back to my friend and went back to my Muddy.

9. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have wore a couple different Gorilla harnesses and I find them comfortable. I forget I am wearing it all the time and have wore it home a time or two.

Are you wearing the harness over or under a jacket? I know you are supposed to wear it over your coat but I wear mine under. No matter what harness I wear, if I wear it over my coat it is pretty darn uncomfortable.

Many hunting jackets now have a slit in the back for your harness tether.

10. gdatre

gdatre Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I wear an HSS X-1 Bowhunter, similar to the HSS Ultralight, and its like its not even on. The adjustments are great and leaves no tag ends hanging to get in the way.

11. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't stand wearing it inside my coat. I like it outside too because it keeps my jacket closer to my body and doesn't let as much air up inside that way to keep it warmer.

12. TheHardWoods913

TheHardWoods913 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have two Hunter Safety System Ultralites, Not one complaint here! Thing is great and I don't even know its there!

13. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with you, I like mine under my outer layers. My Sitka Stratus vest and jacket both have harness slips so I can pass the tether out and not up through the collar.

14. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have an older HSS vest and an HSS harness. Overall I like the vest better. I bought the harness last winter because I caught it on sale for about $35.00 so I went ahead and got it. I see this year they have a hybrid vest/harness that I think I would like better. Here is a link for it. Whatever you decide, please keep wearing one.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt...&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=hss

Blessings.......Pastorjim

15. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First, I have the muddy harness. It's so light and low profile that I question it's effectiveness if I ever do fall. Lately I've been considering switching to a climbing harness to avoid the tight fit of the outer layers.

But a harness is pointless if you're taking it off to add layers. Unless you add all of your layers at the bottom of your stand.

16. Trevor TFO

Trevor TFO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ive used the muddy harnesses and i now have a Big Game Treestands Ironhide and i love it!

17. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    To the OP if all you have/can afford is the harness that comes with the stand is better than nothing. Too many horrible stories of accidents to not use one.

You can pick up a good deal at the end of the season and during the summer before the season. (I.e. I've seen several that folks have mentioned for $30-50).

I've got an ultralight and have few complaints. I'll be looking for a new harness at the end of the season.

18. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Probably my #1 problem/complaint. I've worn zip/button downs (shirts) over my harness or have slipped 1 arm out, sleeve on, arm back into harness, other arm out...PITA and way to much movement and effort.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  19. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've had numerous HSS' & have no complaints about them. IMHO, being a little uncomfortable or having to untangle it is a better alternative to death? Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received: