Safety harness tether question....

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mobow, Oct 13, 2008.

1. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, I'll admit that prior to this year I've been stupid and not worn a safety harness. This year I made the concious decision to wear one each and every time I'm in a stand. So I bought a HSS vest. Love it, very simple and comfortable.

BUT.....That tether is a real PITA. I can't turn and shoot to my right. First off, the tether tightens up, and.....it's in the way of my release arm. I can shoot to the front and left very easily, but when I turn to the right the tether is wrapped halfway around my neck and there's NO way I can shoot. Hell, I can't even get my bow drawn.

It's gotta be possible. I know it is, I just haven't figured out the trick yet. Help me with the learning curve. How do ya'll position that tether so you can turn and shoot? I gotta get this figured out because I know what will happen if I don't. I'll stop wearing the harness, and I don't want to do that.

2. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don I always try to set mine so I have more slack by placing it lower on the tree. I had the same problem when I placed the tether at head height or above. When placed it just below the level of my shoulders It gave me more room to move. I can still comfortably sit or stand and it doesn't get in the way anymore.

3. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a prussic hitch knot setup around the tree...it gives a little more slack to your tether...actually, how ever much slack you set it at...no more annoying and loud buckles that take forever to cinch tight..2 seconds with the prussic knot rope and I am tied in and secure.

I use one every time now this year compared to last, like you. Hopefully I'll never need it but it'll be there if I ever do.

4. madhunter

madhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Using the prussic knot is really great too because if you need a little extra slack you can slide it down a bit and if you are sitting all day and want the added security you can slide it back up.

Please pass this on and stay safe.

5. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use the same knot and have no problems. Being able to adjust the length in a just a split second makes it super easy!

6. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Prussis knot {Light Bulb!}

I had the same problem. It sounds like the Prussin Knot would solve that perfectly. :d

7. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    making a prussic knot is super easy....but if you want to buy one premade with an extra tether included...buy the linemans belt sold by HSS..summit makes an identical version....you can use the included clips to tie in while climbing up, hanging stands with no hands....whatever you please. Then use it as the tether once in stand for adjustibility and you are set.

HSS sells the kit for like 35 bucks....Summit is a little cheaper...or for less than 10 you can make your own.

I bought the HSS linemans belt before I learned how to make one...I dont regret it whatsoever.

8. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I slide the tether strap down to about the center of my back as OKB stated.I also use the prussic knot system too.You tube has videos on how to tie prussic knots.

9. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i sometimes use the linemans belt too, especially in the winter when i have more clothes on....

10. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Don, prussic knot for me also. i have the HSS Pro and did not like the teather to. the prussic knot solved this prob for me.

11. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I also use the prussic knot. I wear the harness that came with my summit stand. Like everyone else stated, the key is to leave enough slack in the tether. Good luck and I'm glad to hear you decided to use one!