Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Saddle vs. Treestand

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jake Kooiman, Aug 10, 2022.

1. DH Outdoorsman

DH Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Going on my 3rd yr, and still enjoy it. Like everybody mentioned above is the knees, and finding a tree that wont slip when your trying to lean in. I'm actually going to replace my knee pads and use a gardening kneeling pad and strap it around the tree this season. hopefully that will keep my knees from slipping. transitioning from your top stick to the platform can be scary sometimes. just make sure you really set your sticks. Otherwise I think you might really enjoy it.

Jake Kooiman and muzzyman88 like this.
  2. Jake Kooiman

Jake Kooiman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So now that I’m convinced I should join the cult get a saddle what one should I get? I got 3 lone wolf sticks that I would use with it. Also what platform??

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm planning on spending a little more time in the saddle this fall than I did last year. This will be my third season of mixing saddle hunts with my pre-hung treestands and ground blind hunting. The saddle has become my go-to choice for any sort of run-and-gun hunting.

Below are a few high-level thoughts and things I'm still working through.
    1. You don't need to go crazy with gear and tactics and techniques. It's easy to get lost in how complex some people make things. At the end of the day, you need a way to get up a tree, a saddle with ropes, and something to stand on.
    2. Saddle hunting can be very comfortable, but it can also be very uncomfortable as well. Make sure you spend a little time tweaking your setup to get into a position that feels good for you. If you don't, you won't be able to hunt as long, and you'll likely be fidgeting around a lot. Adjust your tether height, tether length, bridge length, etc until you find something that works for you. Then try and remember that configuration so you can do it every time.
    3. A back support really helps on longer sits. Anything over 3 hours I'm using it.
    4. IMO the idea you can hunt out of any tree is not feasible. You still have to be able to climb up the thing, and having one that's at least semi-straight provides a lot more options for where you can put your platform and how your body wants to lean based on where gravity is pulling you.

DH Outdoorsman likes this.
  4. DH Outdoorsman

DH Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good Question.
    after doing research and watching lots of video's I went with Tethrd Phantom and the platform. I pretty much bought most of my stuff from them. totally happy except the Versa straps. not a very good system IMO. Hawk 20" sticks. they released a new saddle but IMO the pouches look small. I wish I bought 2 SYS Hauler ES instead of one. the large pouch size is real handy. Just like Justin says above, you dont need to buy everything, platform, saddle, linebelt, tree tether, Ascender and the recliner (your back will thank you for it). and your pretty much set.

5. JPG

JPG Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I always recommend people try adding a ring of steps to their set up. Both for comfort and for shooting around the tree. Being able to straddle the tree is a lot more comfortable if you want to sit in the saddle IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. BowMayhem413

BowMayhem413 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Easier to stick with a climber in my opinion. Have thought about making the switch also.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  7. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    With all the straight trees we have in New England I was a climber guy through and through hunting on public land in CT. Having to carry the 20 pound climber on my back limited where I could go on Public land. The super deep spots over a mile in were a workout and a half especially after having a stroke.
    2 years I saw a video of someone using a saddle with a LW hand climber and that got the gears turning. I now use the top piece of a summit open shot as my climbing method and platform with a saddle. This enabled me to get to the spots where the deer were less pressured and has led to more encounters than ever before in all my years hunting the same piece of big woods since the early 90s.

If you hunt public land in the Berkshires.....think of carrying a 5-pound stand as opposed to a 20-pound stand....

open2.jpg open.jpg

Not my video. It shows you how it is done.

cantexian, Justin, BB1 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    SHOD! :biggrin:. Its not for everyone but it is for me. I pretty well solely saddle hunt anymore. May even sell all of my stands and buy an extra saddle setup just for a backup. Lightweight, easy, and efficient once you get used to it. Like anything there is a learning curve and finding out what works for you. You cant put a climber in any tree, you can put a hang on in ALMOST any tree but you can dang near hunt any tree with a saddle. Slight edge over the hang on. Being able to maneuver around the tree is also an advantage but can also be a disadvantage if you arent careful and become stir crazy and move around too much. Once you learn a few tactics on shooting your weak side you will be good on that note. Comfort does still go to the other above but comfort also makes me zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

SkylarPreston likes this.
  9. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The saddle world is kind of funny imo. The saddles, there's a bunch out there now, are all kind of the same. They're all good and will get the job done. Its more a matter of personal preference. Its the climbing methods and such that give me pause. When I first looked at all the options, it made me wonder what the advantage of a saddle was. Most are taking sticks and a mini platform with them. Most are using 3-4 sticks, 6-8lbs there, plus a 3-4lb platform. In my eyes, 12lbs of gear is great, but not mind blowing. This is especially true when you can get a top shelf Beast or LWCG stand that weight 6lbs and add the sticks to be around 12-14lbs anyway.

This is why i opted to go directly to one sticking first. My total weight with sticks and rope is around 6lbs. Yes its a bit of a learning curve and trial and error until you figure out what is best for you, but I think the benefits far outweigh the negatives long term. I'm also connected to the tree by two means as I go up, as I opt to use my linemans belt to make the climb easier. Coming down, especially in the dark, by repelling is not only easier, its safer and a butt load of fun. Pulling my stick and then being on the ground in 10 seconds is a godsend.

That was my thought process in all this. It may not be for everyone but I'm honestly sold on it and I feel like most who saddle hunt should give it a try in the off season for a while. You might be really shocked how easy it is.