Saddle Hunting... after one season

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by muzzyman88, Nov 30, 2022.

1. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Right on man! Awesome stuff. Thats the thing about the saddles i'm learning. It really does take commitment to learn the "craft" and get proficient with it to the point where its second nature to you. I'm sure the next time that situation arises, you won't even think about what you're doing and just do it. This situation is exactly why I'm considering throwing a ring of steps into my setup to make that move a no brainer. Gravity worries me.... lol.

Shocker99 likes this.
  2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The thing with the ROS that I don't like is the small point of pressure on my foot for that length of time. I just feel like it would get uncomfortable after awhile. I also like being out away from the tree a little bit more - especially since I'm filming and usually have the camera setup between me and the tree. The more room I have to maneuver, the better.

On this last hunt the tree was so small I actually had the camera around the right side and I was shooting around the left, which worked out great. Usually I have the camera on the same side that I'm shooting on, which can cause some issues.

muzzyman88 likes this.
  3. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    On the subject of gravity. I will share.. gulp... my comedy hour moment from this season. I went into a spot on public ground that a couple friends have been getting pictures of a big main frame 10. I snuck in and spent a few minutes trying to figure out the best tree that would afford me ample shot opportunities. I had 20 rubs and two big scrapes on an old logging road and wanted to make sure I was down wind of these if he did make an appearance. Found a decent tree and climbed in. I hunted that evening without seeing a deer and at dark prepared for descent. Well... this tree was leaning just a touch, it was hardly noticeable when I was in it to be honest. I rappelled down to my stick, unhooked it and and began coming down. Well, this gravity thing took over and off I went around the back side of the tree. Trying to fight gravity is a no go when you're rappelling I learned... haha. I harmlessly swung to the back side of the tree and paused for a couple moments... laughing at myself and thinking about how ridiculous this probably looks from a distance... :biggrin:

4. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:

I agree about the pressure on your feet. My thoughts are that I'm only on them for short periods of time if I'm walking around to take a shot or if I am hiding from a deer. Bullman Outdoors has some wider footprint steps that appear to significantly reduce the pressure, but they don't pack too well by the looks of it. I don't think I could hunt off steps exclusively like some do. But being a sitter as I am, it may not be terribly bad for me personally.

Shocker99 likes this.
  5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Ahh....so you're going to add the ROS in addition to your platform? Makes sense!

Since I'm self-filming, I'm usually set up for very specific shot opportunities, so needing to get 360 degrees around the tree isn't a massive concern for me. If I can't film it, I'm not shooting anyways. I think leaning around the side with my right foot on the platform and left knee into the tree is about as far out as I need to go. If it requires more than that, I should probably be shooting around the weak side of the tree anyways.

And yes, gravity is no joke! I had a few swinging adventures when I was figuring out how to hunt leaning trees. Took me a bit to realize that the direction I put my tether on the tree and how far around the side of the tree my tether goes plays a significant role in staying upright in certain situations. :lol:

6. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, you got it! See, you have different needs than I do, and there again, the saddle makes either easily doable. One thing I really need to learn and practice is weak side shots at my 2/3 o clock. I've seen it done several ways, with taking the bow over the bridge seeming to be the least amount of movement. The thought of rotating around on the same side of the tree as the deer seems like a bad idea. I don't know, its something I will be working on figuring out until next fall.

Talking about leaners, thats actually something I have learned this year as well. Its actually better if you can get into the tree on the side leaning to you rather than away. Not always possible though. That way you actually have to push yourself around the tree. I played with tether connection on one side or the other a bit, seems to help as well. This is a big reason I am also adding the steps around the tree so I can go up either side and not have to worry about the lean as much.

7. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As i was reading this i was saying it in my head “put your knee into the tree” then you said you did just that haha. Before i figured that out I actually fell over. Not during an actual shot but while i was practicing up in the tree. Im the same way, the more i use it the more comfortable i am in it and the more i like it.

cantexian likes this.
  8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I learned the hard way while in Missouri, that I need to practice more shooting from a seated position. Not being prepared for it and needing to stand to shoot cost me what would have been my best buck with a bow.

Shocker99 likes this.
  9. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    The different shots that can be taken out of these things is wild and can be done in several different ways I'm finding. As I said, I believe having a couple of steps around the tree makes many of these shots much easier and quieter.

That being said, the one shot that I never would have envisioned being any issue is the drop shot right behind you. I guess its easy, but for short periods of time. haha. The buck I killed this year had me all kinds of knotted up on that shot. I was pushed off the tree, at full draw, waiting for him to make a few steps for over a minute. Doesn't seem like a long time, but when the adrenaline is pumping and you're trying to be perfectly still while holding at full draw was wild. My legs shook more than any deer i've ever shot... lol. I think it was part adrenaline, part just holding out off the tree like that for so long. I think that also contributed quite a bit to me making the poorest shot in my hunting career on that deer.

In hindsight, I believe if I would have gently rotated to my right it would have made holding on that deer much easier. My thought process there was to rotate on the bridge and keep the backdrop of the tree behind me to prevent being sky lined by him.

10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    When I killed the buck in my avatar he was straight behind me. I loosened up my tether then spun around and stood with my back against the tree on my platform. That's kind of nice because the tether actually holds you against the tree and provides a measure of support. Worked out great, but it's a maneuver that takes extra time and movement. You aren't doing that quickly on a deer that runs in unexpectedly.

cantexian likes this.
  11. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is exactly what I tried to do in Missouri. I just moved at the wrong time. Thought the buck's head was behind a tree and it wasn't. :sad::bigcry:

Shocker99 likes this.
  12. JPG

JPG Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been using a ros with my Trophyline edp platform for several years. I use 4 squirrel steps and an ocb buckle. I love the ros not only for maneuvering for a shot but also for comfort. It’s more comfortable to be able to widen your stance past the edges of your platform imo. I usually sit with one foot on my platform and the other foot on a step.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Shocker99, cantexian and muzzyman88 like this.
  13. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    You know, as for the comfort factor, I thought about that a bit. I was in a tree this year that had a limb off to the side, right at platform level and it was nice having that there to swing a foot over to, etc.

I'm still trying to work out how easy it is to attach them to the tree once I get to my height. I one stick and am not overly privy to hanging out on my aider below my platform/stick. Wondering if it will be easier to get onto my platform, then lower myself down low enough to attach. It will be something i'll be surely working on for next year.

14. JPG

JPG Newb

Dislikes Received:

15. JPG

JPG Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I typically work off the bottom step of my climbing stick to install my platform and ros. I usually tether in and remove my lineman’s rope to get it out of the way of running the straps around the tree.

muzzyman88 and cantexian like this.
  16. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    Well we're going to find out. I have 4 steps and a over cam buckle strap coming from EWO to see how it goes. I have a doe tag yet to fill during late season, haha.

cantexian and Justin like this.