Saddle Hunter Dies in Accident

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty tragic story out of Iowa last week. A guy went out to test out some of his new saddle gear and somehow slipped and got inverted (upside down) and couldn't get back upright and ended up suffocating to death. It seems unclear how it happened or what exactly he was doing at the time, and, unfortunately, we'll never know the full story. Apparently, his platform and rappelling equipment were lying under the tree he was in, so he may have been testing out some sort of one-sticking setup? Certainly doesn't help that he was significantly overweight and probably not in the best of shape, which likely contributed to him not being able to get himself upright and eventually passing out.

https://www.bowhunting.com/article/hunter-dies-in-saddle-hunting-accident/

Still a sad story and something we should all think about - always having a contingency plan in case something goes wrong. Keep your phone handy and in a spot you can reach and where it won't fall out of your pocket if you slip. Keep a knife handy in case you need to cut yourself out.

I've seen a few "saddle are dangerous!" posts because of this, and would like to go on record saying I believe a saddle setup is every bit as safe, if not safer, than most treestand setups I've used. This is the first death I've heard of happening to someone in a saddle, where there are multiple treestand fatalities each year. All of which are preventable with some common sense and proper treestand safety.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is sad, he went to go try his stuff out and never made it home.

oldnotdead likes this.
  3. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wow that is sad. Always make sure to have a knife on your hip when entering the woods. Your phone as well.

cantexian and virginiashadow like this.
  4. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I commented on SaddleHunter.com on this. What a tragic deal. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends here.

I have some details on the accident and what may have went wrong here. Either way, it goes to show you that you must always be prepared for self rescue in the event that things go sideways on you. I don't think that can be overstated enough.

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know it sounds weird, but practicing what you would do if you fell helps. Even getting up and hanging in your harness at 5 feet off the ground and trying to get back up to your platform may be hard for some. If you cut yourself out with a knife, be prepared to fall hard/fast and be careful you don't slice yourself and add to the disaster. Id rather know what my capabilities are in a sterile environment than in the event Im a mile deep and 15 feet high. Ive practiced hanging and hell one time, my bottom section slipped and fell. I was able to get back on my top climber section and a buddy came and helped. Yeah I know, Ive connected my climber sections now. Lol

dnoodles, jonderrs7 and oldnotdead like this.
  6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Feel free to share any details you have. It may help the next person who heads out to try some new gear.

Brodie actually spoke to the guy's wife on the phone to get as much detail as possible but since she's not a hunter and not familiar with saddle equipment, there was only so much she knew.

gltomp, Swamp Stalker and oldnotdead like this.
  7. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Really sad. Just out doing what he enjoyed.

8. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am reluctant to say much out of respect for his family and also not knowing if what I am being told is 100% valid.

What I do know what that he was practicing a rope climbing method called JRB. I don't know the specifics of this method. It is my understanding that he was also using a Dryad saddle, which isn't a common or widely used saddle compared to others. He had rope and rappel gear, a figure 8 device. He was apparently out trying this setup for the first time.

I have no idea what really happened to him only that the cause of death was suffocation. I am learning that falling and being suspended for a period of time can lead to suffocation, especially if the saddle, etc ends up under your diaphragm.

My take aways are this. Make sure you're saddle fits you well and is adjust properly. I don't know if he fell and had the saddle slam up under his ribs prevent him from breathing. What I am learning from this is that those leg straps absolutely serve a purpose and make sure they're snug enough. I see too many talk about cutting them off or loosening them too much.

Secondly. Everyone needs to slow down and think about how you're climbing, what can you do to prevent or minimize the risks when you're climbing and keep yourself safe. Too many youtube videos are geared toward... "look how fast and easy this is"

Finally, have various items on your body at all times. An extra biner, a suspension relief strap/rope, a knife, and a prussic loop. Learn how to affix various ropes with these things to get yourself out of the tree safely in the event that things go wrong.

And this one is just my personal opinion with all these sticks and aider combo's everyone seems to be using. I'd highly advise at least giving rappeling out of the tree a hard look. I am one sticking and i can't imagine getting out of the tree any other way now, even if I use multiple sticks at times. In my opinion, using a Madrock Safeguard, or Petzl Grigri + and lowering yourself down is the safest and easiest way, especially in the dark.

I climb, hunt and rappel on the same rope and device. At any point in my time off the ground, I know I can get back down by simply rappeling out.. But this also means you must get this gear and learn how to use it properly and understand how it works. It took me about a month of climbing this summer to gain the confidence and efficiency to be able to rappel smoothly and easily on the Safeguard. Know your equipment and inspect it always.

Anyway. Thats my little soapbox spiel on this situation. May the good lord be with this gentlemans family and friends through all of this. Everyone here, please be safe out there.

9. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It’s important to not have that phone in your pant pocket where it would get trapped by your leg straps if you fall. This is why I love the chest/phone pocket on my jackets.

10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've been saying for years that the amount of f-ing around with climbing equipment and gear in the saddle community is going to get someone killed one day. To muzzy's point - it seems like everyone is looking for some sort of newfangled faster, lighter, quieter, non-standard issue way to climb a tree these days. You've got random guys online making aiders, knaiders, swaiders and whatever other gear they can dream up in their basement or garage. And a bunch of people out in the woods with no training or experience, trying to figure out on the fly how it's all supposed to work.

11. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think each person needs to understand their limits based on their age and athletic ability. We also need to understand that there is a risk with anything we do and in general hunting is dangerous. To me this accident is no different being out of shape and having a heart attack in the field.

12. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I read this and kind of don't understand.
    Don't your saddles have leg straps?
    I never put my saddle on without legs strapped as well as belt. I just bought new,blades for my folding utility knife that's in my pocket always, I also make sure my linesman belt is in pouch if not attached. If need be swinging it around tree would be a help to either avoid inversion in a pass out or getting you back up right. Last but not least ..it weighs 1#,but I have one strap on step in a saddle pouch. Also my saddle tether is very long, daisy chained and adjustable.
    Any time , no matter how you do it, leave the ground you are at risk for dozens of reasons. I think we all let our guards down unwittingly on occasion. This is sad and a reminder for all tree hunters no matter the method.
    Sad and God Bless his family

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    cantexian likes this.
  13. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    very tragic, this can happen from either fixed stands or saddles .. I'll stick to my Alpha II/Skeletor sticks, there is less to get tangled it seems ...

14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't believe lack of leg straps or using them was the issue. Nothing got caught around his neck, he was hanging upside down somehow and couldn't get himself upright.

15. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Did they discover info that differed from what the article stated?
    Upon arriving on the scene, the hunter reported that Dane was upright in his saddle (not upside down), about 6 feet off the ground, in distress and on the brink of losing consciousness (reason unknown).

The hunter was unable to get him down, or cut him out. As Dane lost consciousness, he fell backwards and inverted. Unable to help free Dane from the saddle, the hunter called emergency services for help.”

16. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was referring to the comments of the saddle possibly going up around his ribs or ribs in general in a mishap.

17. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wonder if due to his weight issues the constriction in the saddle around the legs cut off or slowed his blood flow enough to put him out.

18. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Other than the first aid training I got in the Navy I have zero medical experience, but that’s what I suspect happened. That made him lose consciousness. When he inverted and stayed that way for a while he may have suffocated from his own internal body weight pressing down on his lungs.

Regardless of what actually happened, this is really sad.

oldnotdead likes this.
  19. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This made me cringe. I agree about pushing the limits on everything. Its not just saddle hunting or hunting in general. More, more, faster, faster, lighter, lighter, smaller, smaller. Why cant we just quit worrying about making everything so gosh darn easy. Whats wrong with putting effort in something you love to do? Lord knows we could all use the physical challenge aspect of things.
    Hope his family eventually finds peace. Just Terrible. :sad:

cantexian likes this.
  20. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Always possible heart failure or something like that as well. Wonder if they will autopsy. Im just curious for the educational side of it. Like to learn from these tragedies.

Mark M. Carey and LittleChief like this.