Saddle Bros! Talk to me - platforms, knee pads, rope bags, oh my!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    So I put on my saddle (aka man diaper) for the first time this last weekend, and climbed 2 sticks up a tree, then hung around to see what the talk is all about.

My first impression was "meh, this is okay. Not sure I could hang up here all day though". Everyone raves about how comfortable it is and, maybe it's just me, but it wasn't THAT comfortable. Tolerable - yes. Ultra-comfy like a leaned back tree and a set of footrests on my LW Alpha - no.

So with that said, I need some feedback from you saddle hunting experts out there.

1. Are you guys running a platform to stand on? If so, which one? I'll admit my test wasn't the best as I was standing on top of a Lone Wolf stick, which isn't the best idea I gather.
    2. Are you using bags to store your ropes in? I was not a fan of the lineman's belt being tied onto the saddle. What's the point of that? I want to take it off so it's out of the way entirely. Thinking about switching to my HSS lineman's strap since it's smaller and easier to store.
    3. What height do you put your tree tether at, and what height do you put your carabiner at that your bridge connects to? I played around with a few different heights, but I'm not sure they made a huge difference in terms of overall comfort. PS - the prussic knot to adjust bridge height is LAME. I already have a Ropeman ascender on order.
    4. Knee pads - yes or no? Seems to me that if you want to "sit" in your saddle, you'll need something to cushion you from the tree. No way you can do that for more than a few minutes without pads on.

That's all for now. I have to go research super heavy arrows and order some Mtn Ops flat bills so I fit in with you cool cats and kittens.

2. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I run a ring of steps, probably not the most comfortable but the reason I switched to a saddle was get rid of stuff to carry. Last year with my homemade sit drag set up, I used a tool bucket organizer from Menards to put my tether in while climbing, and my lineman’s rope in while hanging. This year I sprung for the bag from tethered. Another thing I bought from Menards (or Lowe’s can’t remember) was a tool hook. I tied a little loop of paracord on my sticks so I can access them easily while climbing.
    8FCA66A4-D682-4523-9E99-F34040C8B2F2.jpeg 30E3B232-EB72-47D9-9CF2-94EB97597BA3.jpeg

3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’m a novice at best with this also. That being said I ordered everything Tethrd. The phantom platform reminds me of a mini LW. I think for comfort the back rest strap is a must. But I speak from the experience of 3 whole times in a tree for a total of about 2 hrs. Did manage to fire a few shots with my bow from various angles. No hang ups so far. Good post I look forward to some good feedback.

4. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t wear knee pads. Tether is eye level at the tree when I am fully seated in the saddle.

5. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It takes a minute to get comfy but once you do, you’re good.

1) predator platform. Any platform helps distribute the pressure more evenly in your feet

2) I unclimbed my lineman and put it in my pack after I’m tied in at height.

3) I’m about chin level and probably have about 12-16 inches out until hitting the carabiner. I changed out my stock bridge for an adjustable one and use a little longer than normal. Helps eliminate hip pinch. Definitely dump the Prussic for the rope man on both tether and lineman

4) Kneepads are a must for me.

Cannon06 likes this.
  6. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I also use a ring is steps but mine are already placed in trees ready for me to climb in. I always gave knee pads on. I got a cheap foam pool air and put them on under my Camo pants. Sometimes they need a little adjustment during the fit but wouldn’t ride without them. My tether is about chin high. I have two bags that came on my saddle. One on right for tether another on left for lineman’s rope. After I’m settled in tree I put my phone and a few small things in tether bag. Convenient to grab. It will take a little getting used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use a platform that I can stand on and shoot from. For me when I'm fully supported by saddle my form goes out the window. I need to stand when I shoot. At the time there was no commercial platforms available in the size I wanted, so I built my own.

I use a small bag on the side of saddle to store my tether and gear strap that I hang my pack from once in the tree. My linesman belt stays attached to saddle and I put it over my head and it acts like a pair of suspenders.

As for tether height, that is a personal position. Mine is set right at the tip of my nose when I'm standing on the platform. As for comfort, I don't believe saddles are going to be the most comfortable method of hunting, but definitely the lightest for mobile hunting. But you need to do multiple sits in one to get into "saddle shape". This is just your body getting use to the new pressure points that are created from using a saddle.

As for knee pads I don't use them, just one more thing to make noise. I lean and sit on and off thru out my hunt. When I sit I will pull my backpack straps over and rest my knees against them to help cushion it alittle.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never tried it and I won't. It looks really uncomfortable. But I can see the benefit for some areas. But I will stick with my climber. Good luck with it Justin

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  9. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I thought the same as you. I’ve owned four saddles and never liked them. I bought a JX3 Hybrid last year and that is all I hunt out of now. It is as mobile as a saddle with the comfort of a recliner. The fork holds your weight off of the tree so you can truly relax. Between a regular saddle and a Lone Wolf, give me the Lone Wolf every time.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shocker99 and Swamp Stalker like this.
  10. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    1) Last year I used the top section of a LW hand climber as a platform, just ratched it down really good so there was no flex. Worked OK but took a lot of extra time and noise to set up. This year I will be rocking the Out On A Limb Ridge Runner https://outonalimbmfg.com/ridge-runner-large-saddle-hunting-platform/ but it hasn't arrived yet. I went with the bigger one b/c I wear size 12s and it only weighs a 1.5lbs more than the smaller one.

2) Yes, two drop pouches molled in on either side

3) I am using a Muddy lineman's rope looped through itself as the tether and a Ropeman's Ascender 1 (the 2 SUCKS do not use it) to adjust at the bridge

4) In temps above 35, I bought and use a pair of camo pants that have foam kneepads/cushions built in. I got mine on Amazon they are similar to 5.11 but not 5.11. Actually Kryptek Mandrake camo pattern which matched my bow :dan: I know. I have used real kneepads but they are clunky and don't pack well. Most of the time if I want to really sit/relax/take a nap I actually end up just turning sideways to the tree with both legs on one side and just hanging/resting up against the tree.

no flat billed hats for me, I will be rocking a Boonie most of the time...but I do shoot some adult arrows.:bow:

11. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a DIY platform that I made for about $80. If I was going to be using a commercial grade platform, it would be the Tethrd Predator hands down. I built my DIY before Tethrd started selling the platform or I would have gone with that one.

https://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Drawstring-Magazine-Adjustable-Military/dp/B078WVHXC9/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=14U943GKSZ7ZT&dchild=1&keywords=molle+dump+pouch&qid=1599743824&sprefix=MOlle+Du,aps,177&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyMzhOSFRHNEZEWU1DJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjcwNDAwMkQyTTU2UEFHT0E4WSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjQwNjc1MTgzUUdFRTlSV05EQyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

What saddle are you running? Someone who uses that particular saddle would be able to give you the best answer regarding the lineman's belt.

Consider purchasing a tether and lineman's belt made from Sterling Oplux rope. Wild Edge Outdoors sells premade one or they are pretty easy to make by just buying the rope. I made a tether and lineman's belt for under $25

https://www.wildedgeinc.com/store/p74/KISS_Line_Kit.html

Start with the tether somewhere between the top of your head and chin. Personally, I like mine in line with my Adam's apple. Try a distel hitch instead of prussic or add a prussic tender to the rope.

No on the knee pads for me. But, I prefer to lean rather than sit. Leaning is more comfortable to me once the tether height is correct. See my answer above.

12. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I said the same thing too, it takes time to get things adjusted and your body used to the saddle. Had I not given it time to make micro adjustments, I would have sold the thing. I told myself I was only going to use it on my public land spots, but I used it all year.
    Predator from Tethrd. They have the XL now, but the regular one works just fine. I also set a couple screw in steps off to the sides, kind of like footpegs on a motorcycle. My feet spend 90% on those steps, ring of steps for where I can't screw into trees, but you need a better buckle like Slick shows.
    Pouch on my left hip, one end of lineman's belt tied to saddle, other side has Ropeman1 and rolls up nicely into that pouch. Never in the way nor has it caused me any issue moving around.
    If that works for you, that's what you need to do.
    I found it best around chin/mouth/nose level. My Mantis does not have an adjustable bridge, so I can only adjust tether height.
    It gets worse when the rope is wet.
    I wear them and I have no issues, you can always use one of those foam seat pads and strap it around the tree, but that's another thing to pack in/out. Get a good pair with a plastic/rubbery hard pad, foam alone will kill your knees.
    We prefer Boonies on this forum...boonies for booners.

You need to get a back support thing, it will make things a butt-load more comfortable.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, guys! The feedback is much appreciated.

As I suspected, it seems like people are all over the place with how they rig and use their saddle gear. Which, I suppose, is part of the allure to the whole thing. There's really no "right" way to do it.

I think I'm going to pick up one of those Ridge Runner platforms, switch to my HSS lineman's belt, skip the bags for now, and try a set of kneepads over my pants. That's my current plan for now. I'm sure it's subject to change as I fumble my way through this.

And yes, I got the Ropeman 1 - not the 2. The poor 2 doesn't have the best reputation out there.

14. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    So that is what I am doing wrong. To amazon I go.

Perhaps it works for some, I hate the things and feel like it makes moving my bow harder. Back bands would be unnecesary if more guys deadlifted. :whip::beer:

15. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Please get with @Swamp Stalker for saddle hunter dues, a copy of the lingo dictionary, and how to take appropriate saddle selfies.

cantexian and Swamp Stalker like this.
  16. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bruh.....

jonderrs7 likes this.
  17. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

cantexian likes this.
  18. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Last time I tried deadlifting........

[​IMG]

Justin and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  19. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I have a back band, just didn't get around to trying it out. I was more or less trying to figure out how to not kill myself, how I'm going to self film from one of these things, and what the proper way to take a leak from the saddle would be.

Are there any official saddle-approved boonie hat accessories I need? Should I add in a few pine branches or some clumps of grass?

alenhard15 likes this.
  20. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    You need a patch sporting the manufacturer.