Rutting bucks

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by seanmoe, Dec 4, 2014.

1. seanmoe

seanmoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been seeing this term used a lot lately in reference to the stage of rut a buck is in. Seems i may just be missinterpreting. Isn't it the does that are in heat that cause the bucks to "rut" (compete for breeding rights). In other words its not really the bucks creating all the activity. And they are not in a stage ever. They're stage if they have one is a response to a does coming into heat. At this point in most places would be considered a "second rut" a "late rut" or an unbread doe.
    Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

2. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Buck activity changes well before does go into estrous. That's why they start fighting and start cruising bedding areas looking to see if anyone is in heat.

Neither buck nor doe CAUSE the other gender to go onto heat/rut. Its a natural biological cycle that occurs at a similar time of year for both genders (obviously an evolutionary advantage).

3. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh no, bucks clearly rut on their own. When you see "chasing" that is typically a buck or multiple bucks chasing does that are likely not receptive (not in heat). Rut is directly caused by a change in photoperiod, which is a 24 hour period in which animals (and plants) are exposed to light. When the amount of daylight diminishes it triggers the release of hormones that makes a buck want to breed. The same goes on the opposite side of the spectrum in the spring, when the photoperiod lasts longer it triggers antler growth. This is why bucks rut at different times in different parts of the country and the rut can even last different lengths of time depending on location. When it comes to does, they are seasonally polyestrous, which my understanding is that they have up to a few breeding cycles that only occur during a particular season, in this case fall. I don't know as much about does as I do bucks, but does for example may only have a 24 hour breeding window. When a receptive doe is approached by a rutting buck, this is when he will lock her down and stay with her and breed with her for a period of time and is called "the lock down phase".

4. dhd

dhd Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Somewhere in the woods, though, that position may
    Nope. Does don't cause bucks to go into a rutting stage it's a natural wildlife cycle