Rut Vaca - Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by alfarah50, Sep 10, 2018.

1. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As of last year, I could barely get any time off of work to hunt. From 11/1-1/14 I had a ton of daylight activity where I hunt. This year I have an opportunity to hunt 7-10 days I just don’t know when to take off? I’ve been told and read articles that this year the rut would be earlier than normal. From what I’ve read 10/24 is peak rut? If you guys were in my shoes, what days would you choose to hunt?

early in likes this.
  2. Zblevins

Zblevins Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'd go with whenever is a more comfortable time for you personally. I think that regardless of what the various "rut calendars" and such the rut generally falls within the same time period every year. Sure the absolute peak may be a week sooner or later but there is going to be good activity on either side of that. Myself I had 2 weeks saved for the season this year and I took the 2nd week after the opener for an early season opportunity and the 1st full week of November for my rut hunting. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

early in likes this.
  3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The last week in Oct through the first week of Nov would be my choice here in Pa. :tu:

4. EvoldedWhitetailSolutions

EvoldedWhitetailSolutions Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I personally have never experienced a peak rut that early, rut happens just about the same time every year within 2 days.. at least in my experience. As stated about last week of October is magic along with the first 2 weeks of November. I personally prefer last week of October because the deer are far more likely to be on a pattern of use, food sources, water, scrapes during daylight.. whichever you choice, good luck and shoot straight

5. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The last few years I have taken the week leading up to 11/11 as my week long rutcation. The last two years I shot a buck the last week of October before my vacation started. This year I took the 29th of October to the second of November as my rutcation because of those experiences. I had great hunts durning my vacation the last few years but it always seemed bucks had gotten to the “lock down” stage so we shall see. Like previously stated you can’t go wrong last week of October to the first couple weeks of November. I have to get mine in early or I would wait and see what the weather was doing before putting it in also. If you can wait and hit a cold front in that time frame that would pry be smart.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    11/5-11/9. Add the weekends in there and you have 9 straight days of prime time hunting.

Lung Buster and head2toe camo like this.
  7. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always take the last week of the season....if I took the next to last week and did not tag out, I’m sure I would develop anal myopia.....no way I could see my ass at work.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Ryan Cornelius

Ryan Cornelius Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im in Pennsylvania and I would take the last 2 weeks of the season off, and if I could only take 1 week off it would be the last week.

9. Bill H

Bill H Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First two weeks of November has been good to me here in Pa. Its just being in right spot right time which during the rut anything can and will happen. It sucks having to pin down dates to hunt weeks in advance. Can’t wait to retire.

10. Berwickbuckmaster

Berwickbuckmaster Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I pick whatever day is the last here in PA that given year, and go backwards 7 days.. I have 4 good bucks going with that route.