Ruined hunts..

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by sethf11, Oct 25, 2015.

1. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just like it says, who has had a hunt ruined lately. I was all set up with great fresh sign all around. Then this guy came through about 4:30pm to set up some traps. Appeared to be for coyote traps. ImageUploadedByBowhunting.com Forums1445828231.563190.jpg he drove right down the edge of the field and across in front of me. Mind you this tree line is a good 500 yards off the road.

2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive come to realize those days are just part of it...

3. jlong223

jlong223 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    a couple years ago during shotgun season when I was living in western ny I was hunting on my dads private property which nobody has permission to hunt... a nice doe comes out 40 yards away I grab my shotgun and get the sight settled in on her.. right as im about to send a big ole slug into her 2 hunters come walking through making all kinds of noise and she bolted... they were crossing a piece of the property to get to a a trail on some power lines that everybody around there likes to use.

not a recent story but boy was I pissed.. I didnt have much time to hunt that year at all only got out a few times and that ended up being my only oportunity at a deer all season and it was blown for me and my freezer remained bare

4. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It sucks, but unfortunatly today there is a million people everywhere!! Hang in there, keep hunting!!

5. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just makes me so mad as I parked like 500 yards or so away and packed my stand in and all my gear and spent the time setting up. People are so lazy too.

6. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    if he was indeed setting traps, thats how its done. trapping takes alot of gear and i ai'nt gonna walk 500 yards to set a trap.

7. Walbash

Walbash Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    may not have bothered deer much if he just passed through. most deer used to vehicles on a farm

8. sethf11

sethf11 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It was indeed traps. I sat the rest of the hunt till dark. Things settled down shortly thereafter. Didn't see any deer either. I should of been like 75-100 yards back in the woods. Major runways dumping into that field. They were eating off the edge. I heard something crashing behind me but it was too dark and I had to climb down.

I only have doe permits left

9. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was drawn back on a small buck Saturday evening and my husband comes walking through the woods to get me...snaps a small branch and yep...buck ran off.

It was windy, about to rain, and was going to get dark soon. Deer weren't moving so he wanted to get out of there before they did as we have a tendency to jump them coming out. Except this time he jumped mine!

10. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saturday for me in OH. I was in the stand at 4:00. We have permission on the farm next to my friend's and this stand is on his land set up on a pinch point between two fields. At 6:15 that farmer comes driving though the field on his side by side stopping at at every electric fence pole to check things out. He knew were were hunting but I am not angry, he has work to do and only so much daylight to do it in. It's just been the way my year has been going lol.

11. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Checking cams yesterday before getting in the stand and I had 4 dirt bikes trespassing drove up on me, saw my truck and hauled ***!

12. NateJR_PABOWHUNTING

NateJR_PABOWHUNTING Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a stray cat spook a shooter heading my way working a scrape line last Saturday.. didnt see another deer for the rest of the morning. lucky for the cat, arrows and broadheads are expensive.

13. TheRiverBottom

TheRiverBottom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live in a deer dog hunting state. Need I say more.

14. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had one a few years back.

Was in stand during the rut, heard some clashing and thrashing off to my west. Two bucks were fighting, was waiting for one of them to head my way either triumphant or in defeat. Seen brief flashes of white through the trees. Heart was racing 130 beats a minute.

Then one of them started up a chainsaw and I was like WTF?!?! Turns out it was either a neighbor or lineman clearing brush. What I thought was clashing of antlers was him messing with something in his utv. How I didn't hear it pull up is beyond me.

Heart sank and day was all but over.

15. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This year about a week ago. Had a group of does working toward me but the neighbor let her little black dog out into the field.

16. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fun, isn't it?

I can't complain too much now, I rarely deal with dogs anymore. When I used to hunt Southampton county, it was awful.

17. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    other hunters, loose pets, hikers... they all happen, and it's just part of hunting public land... but when the game warden drives out, gets out of his truck, comes under your stand, and starts talking to you... that's just wrong... he couldn't wait till I came out of the woods to do his checks?? Happened to me just last month

18. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had my buddy's wife ruin my hunt by walking her dog down the lane, who promptly came running to my tree sniffing all around. Figured that was it.

30 minutes later a doe came in with 2 yearlings, likely pushed down by the dog. I shot the doe. Hunt NOT ruined.

19. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Who was it that posted either last season or the one before the greatest one yet?

He got on stand and kept hearing something or someone yelling, got closer and closer and he couldn't make it out, until he realized his mom had trailed him to the stand yelling out for him. Think it was either a dead battery or he forgot something. Can't remember the details, just remember literally laughing as I read it.

20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received: