Rubber Boot Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jmbuckhunter, Aug 6, 2008.

1. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never been a Rubber Boot fan. My feet sweat and they never seemed to fit me right. But since my goretex boots are no longer waterproof. And getting to and from my stands this year might be an issue. I figure I'd give the new breed of Rubber Boots a try.

I'll probably get a dozen different options, but what boots work for you? And why do you like them?

Anybody have the Dream Season Boots? How do you like em?

2. Dr Andy

Dr Andy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    LaCrosse Alpha Burley!

3. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I had a pair of LaCrosse Alpha Burly and liked them a lot. Right now I have a pair of Muck Woody Max, but they're a little too warm to wak very far in, plus it has neoprene uppers.

I walk a long ways in a lot of times and don't like to wear rubber boots that far....my feet sweat too much. I usually wear my Rockys or Meindls. Now, with that said, I'll probably get another pair of the LaCrosse boots for the shorter walks.

4. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I just bought the Dream Season boot John and even if the "scent elimination" properties are not what they are suppose to be, The boots themselves are awesome. They are lighter than my Lacrosse and very, very comfortable.

Previous and I'll continue to use is my Lacrosse but make you get the ones that zipper down to the ankle. Rubber boots are a chore to put on and take off. It always seemed like a work out. I have the ones with zippers and they are SSSSOooooooo much nicer to take off and put on with that zipper.

:cool:

5. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll second how nice the Dream Season boots are, John... Unfortunately, I ordered mine last year when they were slip-ons as opposed to this year's with the side zip... That was the last touch they needed to make them truly awesome.

I'll still be taking last year's with me in a few weeks to handle the majority of my hiking in the mountains; they're that comfortable.

6. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I've got some lacrosses as well, I love them. I had a bass pro brand neoprene for the last few years and they worked well, but the Lacrosse are much much more comfy.

7. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My rubber, Bird, and late season/cold weather boots are all LaCross

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The Lacrosse Alphas have a neoprene upper as well, it's just covered in rubber on the outside where the Mucks aren't. And I don't know about you guys, but my feet sweat in rubber just as much as they do in neoprene. I hate wearing rubber boots when it's above 60 degrees outside. I think this year I may pick up a new set of Merrell hikers for early season and keep them sprayed down good and use some Scent-Lok or X-Scent socks. I don't think I can take another early season of sweaty, stinky feet.

When it's a bit colder out I love my Alpha Burty Sports. They're good for me down to around 30* with a good pair of wool socks, and when it gets much colder I switch over to my 1200 gram Thinsulate Lacrosse Broadsides. :rock:

9. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I also just bought a pair of Dream Season. I have the "orginal" that aren't insulated, so for the winter they probably won't work. BUT, they are indeed waterproof, and are without question the most comfortable boot I have ever worn. I got them 1/2 size big to accomodate added socks. I swear they are lighter than my tennis shoes. I wonder about the scent adsorption properties as well, as the only carbon is about a 4" band at the very top of the boot....

10. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, the reason I said they're too warm to walk in is because they're the heavier insulated ones. A lot of times I'll be walking 1-2 miles to a stand and I can't wear them that far. I like them when its colder and have short walks, but that's about it.

Another thing that concerns me with the Mucks is the Neoprene. How much scent do you think that can hold?

11. jmbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    OK, looks like I definately have to check out the side zippered Dream Season. And I think the Mucks sound like a better fit than the LaCross. Gonna give them a look too. Hell I might get more confused when I actually try them on.:confused:

Might have to hit BP and Cabelas tonight.

12. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use Lacrosse Alphas as well, even in the early season, then again here, its mid 40's at night and 90 during the day. So I dont mind the insulation in my Alphas, mine are 400 grams if I remember right. I use the Cabelas infernos for late season when its real cold out, they are not a rubber boot but scent doesnt drift around much in near 0 or below 0 temps either.

One of the attributes I like most about the alphas is the zipper top and neoprene upper. Very easy to take on and off and very comfortable.. I always hated slipping on the non-zipper topped rubber boots I used in the past. I put a piece of black electrical tape across the zippers because they will will rattle a bit when hiking in. I've been wearing the scent lok socks and or Xscent socks for the past few seasons now I like them. I layer up over the scent lok/xscent socks when it gets a bit cooler. I keep keep a scrub brush, bucket and baking soda handy for scrubbing down my boots on the outside and put scent away powder on the inside... leave them outside to air out..bout it. Never have a problem with them smelling.

13. jmbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I picked up a pair of the Dream Season side zipper models. They were the lightest boot and fit around my ankle the best with no slop at all. The other boots slipped up and down too much when I walked. I am gonna wear them around the house for a few days to see if there are any spots that start to rub. But I think I really like these boots.

These won't cut it in real cold weather, but I still have my 1200 gram heavy boots for when it gets down that low.

14. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great choice John....

15. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    John, did you get the wool insulated variety? I think yer gonna really like them, they are positively the most comfortable footwear I've ever used.

16. jmbuckhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, just as comfy as my tennys. Now I just have to get the NEW SMELL out of em. I dumped some baking soda in them and sprayed em down with DDW. It has helped, but they need to air out a while.

17. Dr Andy

Dr Andy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bury them in the dirt/pine needles etc outside for a few days. That'll do it!