Rookie mistake...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Adamant2010, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a buck on tuesday and while field dressing I was in a bit of a rush and ruptured the stomach....needless to say the contents of it went all over the inside...I rinsed the chest cavity out asap but some even seeped into the entry and exit wounds and into each layer of rib meat/fat inside and out...the rump and backstraps are ok and most of the shoulder meat is fine...should i discard the rib cage?...not that I want to and I feel pretty horrible ruining meat like that but I'm not sure what the safe root would be in this...

2. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If anything I would just throw out the area around the arrow holes, not the entire thing. Just trim around the holes and be on your way

3. deer_predator

deer_predator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just like iHunt said.. trim around the entrance/exit holes.. I wouldn't eat the tenderloins.. Other than that it should be good to go!.. Enjoy!!!

4. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not sure what meat would be good, so I'll give other advice. Pick yourself up a "Wyoming Knife" http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wyoming-Knife/7080141 This makes it VERY easy to slice up the belly without puncturing the stomach. Use the exposed blade to just slice open a small hole, then use the other blade to just pull straight up to the ribcage. I've had one of these for close to 20 years and love it.

5. CowboyColby

CowboyColby Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    +1 on the Wyoming knife helps avoid hitting the intestines. Or a good gut hook on the end of a knife but those are a pain to sharpen for me anyway.

6. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Leave the Rib meat. Take the quaters and back stap and be done with it. Take the rest to a field. The meat will not go to waste. Happy Yote hunting. :)