Role of age in buck harvest decisions?

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by tynimiller, May 18, 2017.

?

Does the age of the buck play a factor in your choice to harvest?

Poll closed Jun 17, 2017.
  1. Yes, it is the end all be all to my decision. Busted, small or shed...I'll shoot him if old enough.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. Yes, however I'll always choose a better scoring 3 1/2 or 2 1/2 VS lower scoring 5 1/2.

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Nope, take what I can get so long as legal...age doesn't really play a role much at all.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  4. Nope, ultimately inches on the head is all I care about.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Yes, it is the end all be all...but would never shoot a shed or drastically broken off buck.

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  1. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In the end I could choose one. I target specific bucks, but I don't know for sure what I'd do if one walked in all busted. I'd probably shoot, but I'm not certain. If a buck I didn't know walked in and was busted, I'd be more likely to let him walk...

... or not.

In the end it's how I feel in the moment. When my gut (heart, adrenaline, inner voice, what ever you'd like to call it) gives me the green light, it's game on. Until then, I'm happily filming.

tynimiller likes this.
  2. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At this point for me age is what I base my decision on. I will not shoot unless I think he is at least 4 1/2. On my lease in SE MN I only get one buck tag and I will pass some mature bucks that are not what I am looking for because there is usually a couple bucks I will hold out on until the bitter end. If we have a mature buck that is not as big as the guys want to shoot I will try and get one of the kids on that buck. I have shot a very mature buck we thought was 7 1/2 at least in Iowa that was an 8 pointer that was broken and wasn't going to get bigger from past experiences the third time I saw him but wouldn't shoot a broken up GIANT. I do not care how big a 3 1/2 year old is I will not shoot unless I completely F*** up! I passed split brow when he was 3 1/2 and about 152" and he turned into a GIANT. I never killed him but would rather have his 98" right side than a mount that every time I looked at it I thought...WHAT IF?

Josh/OH and tynimiller like this.
  3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Is it easy to say Split Brow was that buck that cemented that patience Tom? Still wish to this day you'd have gotten him...or at minimum found him.

4. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Just a question that came across my mind....did you by chance help Mrs. Clinton prepare responses to debate questions during her campaign?

tynimiller and Lester like this.
  5. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had passed 3 1/2 year olds before that but yes once I passed him it has been easier to do. I have only made two mistakes since then. I shot a 3 1/2 year old one time trying to self film and didnt realize what buck it was until he turned and ran towards me after I shot him and yes in the video you can hear me out loud tell myself I was a stupid *&^%$# as soon as I realized what buck it was while it was crashing in front of me. The second mistake was the big 9 pointer I shot during gun season a couple years ago. I could have shot him with my bow but had to make a quick decision to shoot or not. I knew what I thought it scored but in the crp I couldnt tell body wise for sure how old he was and have been overly cautious since the previous mistake. When I saw trail camera pictures two weeks after passing him with my bow I had another stupid *&^%$# conversation with myself.

6. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Over the last few years weve adopted a 4.5 or older policy on the home farm. Weve had 4 shot opps in that time on 4.5's, and passed up some solid 3.5s. As this video shows (Girl in video was killing first deer not on home farm):