Roku Player Vs. AppleTV for Streaming

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by MichiHunter, Oct 12, 2013.

1. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I noticed in the last couple of episodes you guys made mention of the Roku and in Episode 15 you had one sitting on the desk at the beginning of the show.

I really like the Roku, it's a great player, easy to connect and get comfortable with and I'll recommend them to my clients that use Droid phones.

However, if you're an iPhone owner, do yourself a favor and purchase an appleTV rather than a Roku. It's the same $99.00 as the Roku and it has added benefits for iPhone users, specifically it interconnects with your iTunes account, so whatever you listen to or watch from your iTunes account, you can with the press of a button watch on your TV (say for example BHOD).

Next, with AppleTV, iPhone/iPad owners have the ability to use "Airplay". Heres' how airplay works. Let's say for example you take a picture or a video while you're in the woods with your iPhone/ipad, you might be out there hunting deer, who knows. Now let's say you bag that big bruiser and when you get home you want to show off a little bit. It's not easy crowding your family and friends around your iPhone screen. However, with the AppleTV already connected to your TV, you simply walk in the house, say "Watch This" press a button and the pictures or video magically appear on your TV screen. Yes, with the press of one button. No wires, no nothing. It's magic, and it's awesome.

So, if you're a hunter who uses an iPhone/iPad in the woods on your hunts....take a serious look at the AppleTV. You'll love it..

No, I don't work for Apple. I work in the Custom Electronics Installation industry.

Just wanted to share this just in case somebody is in the market.

2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed! Both are great units, but if you have iThings, get the AppleTV. If not, the roku is just as good.

I love my AppleTV, especially since I can stream movies or TV shows I buy off of iTunes. Streaming photos & video off my phone onto my TV wirelessly is great too.

3. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Love my Apple TV

4. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just got an iphone so I guess I need to learn more about Apple TV. Clueless about technology so this will likely be a challenge. :D

5. Nebraska

Nebraska Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been looking into Apple TV and Roku for a little while. I also do not know to much about either product.

The cable company I have charges me $6 a month to add on the outdoor channel. Does the ODC or anything similar stream on either of these devices?

6. navy_bowhunter

navy_bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I was online on ebay and saw the Roku 2. Then I looked at walmart and they had the Roku 3, Roku LT and Roku XS? What in the world are the differences? I know on the episode you guys had the box for the Roku 2. I am assuming that's the best one.

7. BuckeyeBullseye

BuckeyeBullseye Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I own a couple of Roku players. One in the house, and one is in my shop. They are great for customizing a play list. They can filter out all of the stations that I don't care to watch.
    Out in the shop, I have Netflix, Hulu and Bowhunting.com. Not much else needed in the Man Cave!!!!

8. LSU327

LSU327 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I work for the Outdoor Channel. All I can say is that streaming will be coming soon to ROKU in early 2014. Details are still in the process of being ironed out.

9. Bowhunter29

Bowhunter29 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Roku

image.jpg I have a roku 2 and watch all of the shows on my roku. Also anyone who has an iphone can download the roku app and it is a remote for the roku player. It's pretty neat!! image.jpg