RIP Rush

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by tacklebox, Feb 17, 2021.

1. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I see the cancer got him...

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer. Life is so precious.
    He did so much good for this country.

3. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yep...I was just listening to him last week I do believe. Knew he was sick with cancer but didn't realize he was this sick this week

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have been voting republican since 1984, I quit listening to Rush in 1990.

5. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

Rush lived well.

6. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  7. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The year you quit listening is nearly the year I was first exposed to Rush. Early 90's working on a neighbors farm. We'd come into the farm house for mealtime (lunch, which was the biggest meal of the day) and after eating, Elmer (the farmer) would turn on "The Old Windbag" (his endearing term for Rush lol) for a listen. Then as we headed back out to complete the days work he'd turn it on in the truck.

After that summer I don't think I listened to Rush for another decade. I tuned into him for quite awhile in my mid 30's but found the more of that type of programming I absorbed, the more angry I was all the time. That was the end of Rush for me.

The guy had a good run though. Started in what 84? Was nationally syndicated in 88.....

trial153 and Sota like this.
  8. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I listened to him daily in my mid to late 20s. then not at all for a long time. in the last 4-5 years I would tune in a little bit here and there. I wasn't huge fan as I got older. He was a sympathizer of sorts for the Humane society, and he was worth about 500 million. Aside from both of us being conservatives, I doubt we would have had much in common. But he was smart on a lot of things. I do think he made a lot of enemies though. But I probably have too!

9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    no man was more instrumental to the development of my political ethos than Rush Limbaugh.
    I say that proudly, and without irony.

He was the first person I heard articulate the concept that in politics, there is power in the illusion of opposition.
    Thus, the current state of the GOP.

Some of you think you knew Rush. You think he was a loudmouth bigoted braggart. Yes, he was a loudmouth. Yes, he was a braggart. But his bragging was (almost) always tongue in cheek and if you listened to him regularly you felt like you were always in on The Joke.

He was no bigot. Even bigger than his mouth was his brain; and the only thing bigger than his intellect was his heart; which was larger than Life.

He donated untold millions to charities and also directly to individuals in need. He was directly responsible in over $3 million to Tunnels to Towers in 2019, and well over $4 million to various cancer foundations in years prior. These are just ones I know of.

He was also instrumental in arranging substance abuse counseling to untold numbers of listeners and fans; as well as mental health counseling to veterans and first responders.

This was Rush speaking to his listeners on one of his last shows, Dec 16, 2020- when he knew that he had but weeks if not days left to live. Lending what breath was still in his lungs to honor and support those who put their lives on the line every day in spite of being vilified by the human filth currently running our country:

RUSH: The goodness that is done by all of you is never going to be reported in the mainstream media. And that’s okay. But it’s not. You are some of the most generous, giving, selfless people in the world. And I know that you don’t engage in your generosity and your charitable acts just to get noticed for it. That’s not why you do it. You do it because it’s the right thing to do. But it’s important that you know how much your support of all of the campaigns that we have run here at the EIB Network and the RushLimbaugh.com Store mean to us.

The most recent one that we’re running is the Support Our Heroes campaign at the Rush Limbaugh Show Store, and you have once again responded to what you’ve seen and you’ve come through. Because of you, we’ve been able to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars that are donated directly to law enforcement and their families. While the Democrats are out talking about defunding the police and doing this, that, and the other thing and criticizing them, you have been supporting them.

I mean, this has been an incredible year. Our police have been demeaned, they’ve been ridiculed for actions by individual, evil people, not the entire police force. Some weeks ago we asked this audience to nominate heroes that you personally know or know of in law enforcement. We promised to donate 100 percent of the profits from the Rush Limbaugh Show Store to this campaign. And we have, 100 percent of the profits have gone to law enforcement.

We received thousands of entries. People were incredibly touching in their descriptions of the law enforcement people they nominated. I wanted to share one with you as an example of the type of heroes who are out there in our police force and the types of wonderful people that Support Our Heroes campaign is recognizing this year. Officer Erin, E-r-i-n, severely injured after a routine traffic stop turned into a shoot-out with an armed suspect who had an AK-47. Officer Erin was struck by the suspect, lost part of her hand, but continued to return fire with her partner, demonstrating an incredible will to survive.

Since that shooting, another part of her hand had to be amputated due to the pain. As a result of the disability, she had to reluctantly leave her job in law enforcement. However, officer Erin, E-r-i-n, continues to give back to law enforcement using her shooting and survival as a training that she does not accept any compensation for. She is training others based on her own actions. She’s doing it gratis. This is selfless dedication, even after her injury, has saved officers’ lives by her willingness to share her horrible experience.

Officer Erin only wishes for other officers to come home safely at the end of their shift. She’s brave, honest, humble. Truly an example of overcoming adversity. On that day and always, Erin displayed the gentleness of a mother when needed and a strong commanding officer when it was required. And we would not have heard of her if she hadn’t been nominated by somebody in this audience for her heroism. We were able to learn about her, her story and direct some of the profits from the EIB Network, the Rush Limbaugh Store to Officer Erin and her family.
    It is because of people like you making it possible. So, you’re doing great things. The goodness that’s in your hearts, the things that you have enabled us to do throughout this entire year, the mainstream media will never report it, but you know it, and that’s what matters.

There will never be another like him.

RIP, Maha Rushie.

10. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    May those stuck in Rio Linda finally get their crap together .. ... :rock:

11. Heritage

Heritage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will miss him.

12. Hotrod9

Hotrod9 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I actually got through and talked to him on his show on the 2nd of February. I think it may have been his last show or close to it if it wasn't.

Schmidtrock and dnoodles like this.
  13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    To be honest what got me to not listen to Rush was that sports talk radio came to the Twin Cities market.

14. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    That was his last show. I was not able to listen to all of it due to work.
    Congratulations. Getting through was hard to do. What a memory it will be for you to be part of his last dance.

Hotrod9 likes this.
  15. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I read one of his books many years ago and his logic mirrored much of my own.

16. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I listened to Rush enough thru thru years to get his humor/dry wit and to see his intelligence with politics .. He reinforced the nitch of Talk Radio, I read today only Walter Winchell of old radio fame had more listeners .. Yep, his words of wisdom will be missed .. take a bow Rush :clap:

17. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Although very intelligent I never got into the show. I was a Neil Boortz guy

18. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I watch his tv show back in the 90’s, I even have a backwards Clinton watch he sold.

Two favorite moments was the 94 mid terms when he had his set all ballooned up and the lobster deal. The midterms line “we know your watching”

The lobster deal was an 85 year old lobster some animal rights folks wanted to save, he bought it and ate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schmidtrock and axtell343 like this.
  19. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    lol.

Thanks for being the unpredictable contrarian you are, Germ. I would bet a lot of guys on this site would have expected you to talk $4it about him or be glad of his passing.

Not me. You prove once again that you are Alright.

20-30 millions of your fellow Americans are in deep mourning with Rush's passing. I for one am profoundly sad tonight, and I needed a laugh.

Thanks Germ.

20. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My grandma listened to him religiously. I can remember her and my dad debating some of the topics cause my dad thought he was a windbag. Never really listened to him until few years ago when I spent the spring working at local grain elevator picking up corn piles. After few days radio gets little boring so started listening to the talk radio shows. Actually enjoyed his show and sure he will be missed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk