Ringing in the ears (Tinnitus)

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MN_Jay, Apr 5, 2016.

1. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You get used to it after awhile. It is annoying when it first starts happening, but you learn to ignore it. I've had it for about 5 or 6 years now.

2. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, but they won't share the crayons.

3. Woods

Woods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry to hear that stay positive you never know in 5-10 years a medical breakthrough could happen where they find a cure or at least a way to help, you sure would think companies would be working on it cause of how big of a problem it is and the $ that could be made. After one incident of a friends gun going off next to my ear while goose hunting I had terrible ringing for over a year and after 4 years now I only hear it at night occasionally and usually after being around loud noises that day. I am all in favor of silencers now for shotguns. I now slip ear muffs on when waterfowl hunting and get made fun of but that's ok I don't want to experience it again. You say yours has developed over time and gotten worse but hopefully for some reason it'll subside in the future but may take a couple years. Good luck. Thanks for the post if nothing else this will help educate some of us to be more careful.

4. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks to chemotherapy, I've had it now for 7 years. My ENT says there is some therapy that can alleviate it, basically wearing a sound generator at the frequency that your ears ring at which eventually teaches your brain to tune it out. I have no idea if it works or not, I just ignore it...though it does make a convenient excuse when I want to ignore my wife! LOL!

5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain my friend. I flew through a windshield many years back. One of the injuries was to my left ear. It rang for weeks. It slowly subsided but I have high frequency hearing loss in that ear. I hope you find a way to relieve the pain.

6. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had that also but discovered that it was part of my autonomic neuropathy (pressure in your head that causes heart palpitations, blood pressure problems, digestive problems, and much much more) . My diabetic dr. used to claim that it was related to my diabetes but I finally found an ENT that informed me it was caused by chemicals (perfumes, cleaners, pharmaceuticals, scented candles, etc., etc.). Now the only time I have to deal with it is when I am away from home or in the wrong crowd.

You might try getting more fresh air and if that helps, start removing all the harmful chemicals from your life.

7. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting. My ENT talked quite extensively about it and this possibility never came up. Although he said if the MRI didn't show anything, we would talk about how to live and cope with it, maybe that'll come up then.

8. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

The ENT I visited with also headed a board that studied the affects that todays chemicals have on us, that might be the difference.

9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know if I could tolerate that awful noise in my ear. I swear I'd be tempted to remove the damn eardrum and be done with it. That sounds rough to deal with every day.....

10. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The days aren't so bad because you can distract yourself, the ringing is still there but its a little more tolerable because you are paying attention to other things. The bad part is at night trying to sleep - it drives you crazy because there is no getting away from it. Last night I got 4 straight hours without waking up, which is for me is awesome.

11. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saw this just now in our break room.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

12. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    IF that works...................I'm all ears.

(sorry, just couldn't help myself!)

13. MistaWondaBread

MistaWondaBread Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I completely understand. I've recently been diagnosed with Meniere's disease, and I to have terrible ringing and pressure in my ear, as well as horrible vertigo. All the surgery options to help the issue seem to have a pretty horrible success rate, and there is no real good cure for it until you go deaf in your left ear. Sounds horrible, I know. I recently started to listen to music or binaural beats and it's really helped me to stay asleep. Something you might want to check in to!

14. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Somebody previously mentioned decreasing your salt intake. I noticed my tinnitus is much worse when my blood pressure is high.
    As far as sleeping at night, you will find that a box fan is your best friend.