Ribs, neck, etc.

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by LittleChief, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I feed the ribs to my dog. I’ve tried grilling them once and crock pot once, I think if I try them a third time I'll ust be three times fooled.

Neck roasts make good tacos. A cup of beef stock, bunch of onions and chili peppers in the crock pot all day and it's on.

LittleChief likes this.
  2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The tacos don't sound too bad, if they are lunch tacos and not pushing bedtime typed tacos :lol:

LittleChief likes this.
  3. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Throw some eggs and cheese on them and they're breakfast tacos!

LittleChief and cls74 like this.
  4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bone the neck out and tie it into a roast, the ribs go in the grind pile, on a whitetail anything else isnt worth the effort to make them palatable

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I filet the neck meat off the top, continue up just like cutting the back strap.

LittleChief likes this.
  6. Wop 75

Wop 75 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just de bone them for making sausage.

LittleChief likes this.
  7. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I grind the neck. Ribs, I will take intact and split into half racks. I have a good crockpot recipe for the ribs. But, like others have said, they are best hot. Reheating as leftovers makes them very waxing and an unenjoyable texture.

On the knife topic, I field dress using a Havlon XT. Most of my butchering is done with a $3.99 fillet knife from BPS. I bought two last year, one is kept in the kitchen for my wife's use when she cooks. The other knife I keep for the butchering. The BPS fillet knife sounds stupid because of the price, however, it is actually a great knife. I have done three deer and all the fish my boys and I have caught in the past two years with it.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-6-fillet-knife

LittleChief likes this.
  8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This to the T, including the bps filet knife.

Only thing to add, if you're not keeping shanks, you're missing out. Don't bother removing silver skin, but low and slow in a roaster.

cantexian likes this.
  9. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I keep the shanks and slow cook them to make pulled venison for sandwiches. A couple tbsps of apple cider vinegar to breakdown sinew and bottle of BBQ sauce.

wl704 likes this.
  10. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I leave the loins as they come out. Steak the back straps. Both top rounds left as a London Broil cut. Bottom rounds are sliced up into bite size (about 2"x2" cuts that are later seasoned, floured, and dropped into a deep fryer. Very popular here). Bite size the front shoulder. Ribs, legs to the knee, some of the better neck meat, and any other trim is grind for breakfast sausage. Usually get about 25-30 lbs of grind.
    Hock meat and the "worst" of the neck meat is set aside for canned meat. I tend to really clean up the bones and neck really well so I can get all I can for canned meat, it is so good.
    Canned meat is easy and really good. Don't have to clean the meat up at all, just cut into 1" cubes and pack into quart jars. Add a spoon of Lipton's onion soup mix. Pressure cook at 12 lbs for 90 minutes. All of the fat, sinew, and silver skin is dissolved, so after it has cooled it is just sitting on the top and you can scoop it out. Excellent as lunch meat, just on a Ritz cracker, or in Stroganoff.

ChuckC likes this.