Ribs, neck, etc.

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by LittleChief, Oct 8, 2020.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Benchmade makes excellent knives also.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  2. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I'm not a knife connoisseur by any means. I just like good steel that hold edges and feel good in the hand. Forschner/Victronix are usually "top end" type knives by most. You get what you pay for if you want quality. Not comparable to Shun by any stretch.

That being said, Shun also has a more affordable line, not as good, but comparable to the higher end lesser brands.

LittleChief likes this.
  3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Compare this to your knife, similar design totally opposite craftsmanship and quality

[​IMG]

LittleChief likes this.
  4. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    When I got that knife I was very impressed. After that next deer season I was in love.

I did some looking back then and found a set of Shun Ken Onion knives that included three sizes of boning knives, including the one I already had. For some odd reason my wife thought it cost too much. :lol:

Yeah, it was way up there. Way over $1000.

5. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    At a glance I can see some benefits in this design over the one I have. The blade has a smaller profile: More like a fillet knife. That would be useful working into tight places. The grip is what appeals to me most. That slick wood grip on the Shun does make it hard to hold onto sometimes when your hands are wet or bloody.

One thing I like more about the Shun I have is the position of the tip of the blade relative to the grip. On this one it's high. On the Shun it's almost in a direct line with the center of the grip. Seems like this one would be more difficult to work with when you need to use the tip.

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly, using the wrist to turn the knife in a sense. The other factor I was pointing oit is the handle itself. One handle is going to have some glue weaken and have the blade start wiggling.

There's also knives out there above Shun, but I don't make a living selling knives and my living doesn't justify $85 steak knives :lol:

LittleChief likes this.
  7. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We just got a set of Cutco knifes and yeah they are expensive but best edge I've ever seen and for lifetime you can mail them and they will sharpen for you.

LittleChief likes this.
  8. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I don't recognize that name. I'll have to look them up.

Fix likes this.
  9. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You guys were talking ribs. A friend at work and I have been drinking this $7/ quart jalapeño beef bone broth he found on clearance. Apparently it’s supposed to help joints but it taste good too. I gave him some deer femur/hips to make bone broth with after we ran out. He knocked it out of the park and it was delicious. We’re going to use the ribs next time. Should make quite a bit between ribs, neck, and all four legs.

LittleChief likes this.
  10. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Do you know how he makes it? There has to be some other steps besides just boiling.

11. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Neck makes great BBQ The ribs cages were always split down the middle and given to our 130# shepherds. Now they will Go out in the woods to feed the critters.

12. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    He used a recipe he got online. He’s only tried it one other time and he messed it up. I’ll post a link to the recipe.

LittleChief likes this.
  13. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
  14. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    LittleChief likes this.
  15. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t see how you would get a waxy game taste doing this since that comes from the fat.

16. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. I’ve tried it. He did season it with lemon juice some, some more apple cider vinegar, salt, and garlic. It didn’t have any waxy texture

17. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Well in example the nutritional value of 1 tablespoon of carabu bone marrow contains 12 g. of fat
    Yes bone marrow actually contains fat the amount depends on animal used

18. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    I think simmering it for so long breaks it way down

19. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The stearic acid (which gives it that waxy mouth feel) is in the fat...for deer. Other cervids (elk, moose, it's la of an issue), beef, fowl...

Fish is slightly different than the below...

But, a classic stock/broth you skim the fat and impurities off as it simmers. Usually it has a mirepoix (sp?, carrot, onion or leeks, celery), split bones - roast both together. Into a pot with cold water to cover and a bouquet garni (small satchel of herbs like bay, thyme sprigs, sometimes other herbs)... Simmer (don't boil) for about 12-18 hrs, skim fat/foam off the top regularly (like every 30minutes to an hr) with a spoon. Strain and refrigerate.

Broths are often cooked shorter times and clarified with egg white.

Yeah, used to work in kitchens to pay my way through college...

LittleChief and oldnotdead like this.
  20. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Neck, if not too much connective tissue (esp young deer) can be a decent roast. Cook low and slow (e.g. Crock pot)... Older = grind.

Or...

Cut into thinner roast cuts (like an inch thick) put one in a ziploc, add olive oil, a couple smashed/minced cloves of garlic and a bunch of fresh rosemary...squeeze the air out and seal. Smash it up with your knuckles for about as long as you can stand (breaking up the meat/tenderizing) and driving the flavors into the meat. Give it a few hrs to marinate in the frig. Pull it out when ready....get the grill hot (I like 400-450ish) and give it a good sear. Let rest for about 10 minutes. Split a real good sub roll or hunk of French bread. Slice the meat, sop any juice of the cutting board with the roll, sliced meat in roll. Enjoy... (also works great with beef chuck roast)

Ribs
    Trim fat best you can or what's practical. Cook low (200-225) and slow on a rack (I use a cooling rack in a sided sheet pan covered in foil for ease of cleanup) in the oven for a couple hrs. (Steve Rinella will boil his ribs instead) - either way you're trying to tender out the waxy deer fat. When done and while hot, I'll hit them with a dry rub (that includes some of br sugar), as it will stick better when warm. Crank the temp up to 300 for like 30 minutes or onto a grill for some color/carmelization of the sugar.

LittleChief likes this.