Revenge of the 5th. Team 5 Official thread.

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Okiebob, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So, the rest of the story about the trespasser.. First time in my life a trespasser has cost me $800. How you ask? I'm a sucker for a person down on their luck. His car tags were expired, no insurance. Lost his job three weeks ago, has a 8 month old and a wife. He and his wife are only 21 years old. They are on section 8 housing already and were in the process of getting welfare but the kid told me he felt like he was failing himself. That hit me pretty hard. And it's easier to help someone than be a ****. So, tags and insurance will be taken care of today. Took him to the grocery store and they should be set for the next few weeks. He starts working this morning for a buddy of mine that has a huge drywall contract. Foolish pride has kept him from reaching out and his family is nonexistent for whatever reason. Anyway, off to work.

KDORSETT12, drenman, JeffC and 7 others like this.
  2. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Boom! Congrats Shocker:bhod:

Shocker99 likes this.
  3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The world needs more guys like you okie. You may have changed that kids life. Hopefully he takes your generosity and runs in the right direction. Sometimes all a guy need is a gust of wind in his sail to get him moving.

Okiebob likes this.
  4. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! Now to target a big buck. I unfortunately will be busy with work until Halloween. Then I’ve got 11/1 - 11/6. And 11/10 - 11/19.

drenman and boonerville like this.
  5. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I happen to know the contractor he was working for, total doofus with a crap reputation. When he told me the guy owed him money I knew it to be the truth without even a doubt. The kid will be doing some work for me and wants to pay his debt back, good character. He had a 22 with him that he planned on poaching with, if tickets had been issued it would have absolutely destroyed him.

Shocker99 likes this.
  6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Okay back to deer hunting. Got my secret weapon in the mail today. I have been using James Valley scents for years and they have yet to let me down. Y'all should give them a try if you have the chance. The last five years I have nailed 4 of my target bucks using the Wallhanger scent in late October. It's always the same, they bust out into the field looking to kick some butt and they end up getting stuck. That piebald I got last year camped out 3 days 200 yards from me until the wind got right I used the full rut, he came in on string. 20181015_142634.jpg

mathewsmq1 and slickbilly-d like this.
  7. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We have had our disagreements in the past, but this is down right day-making to even hear. I have a ton of respect for this. Thank you, don’t know if I could do the same always.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8. Shane0709

Shane0709 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot, I didn’t realize that I wasn’t in the live from the stand thread. I’m a total doofus sometimes. Eh whatever, still nice to read that. Sorry all, you enemies. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Okiebob likes this.
  9. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Today marks my yearly “Search for my gloves” conquest. Every year, when I start needing them, they’re gone. I saw them back in August. Time to turn the house upside down, or go buy about 6 pairs :rant:

Shocker99 likes this.
  10. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It was my annual "where is my stocking cap day". Every year I ask my wife "have you seen my black stocking cap" and every year she rolls her eyes and reminds me that the last 9 years that I have asked that same question and she never knows the answer.

Shocker99 and slickbilly-d like this.
  11. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't feel like typing it all twice, but yesterday was the most incredible hunt of my life...I posted the story on my semi-live thread. No I didn't shoot anything, but it was incredible.

drenman and Shocker99 like this.
  12. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just finished reading it. Dude that is how it is so easy to become addicted to not only whitetail hunting but bowhunting for sure!

boonerville likes this.
  13. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    I hope my night tonight has 1/64 as much movement as your night last night! Sounds like a dream. I came in to work early today so I can leave two hours early and not have to use any vacation time. I’m saving all of it for late October/November.

pastorbigdan and boonerville like this.
  14. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Checked out some scrapes that are usually the first ones to pop up, nothing. Haven’t been touched this year. So next rainy day I’m going to go speed scout behind some corn fields on the property I hunt around my house. Back up and punt

15. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Good news, grain trucks were parked down the road. I expect to be hunting a fresh cut corn field tomorrow.

pastorbigdan and Okiebob like this.
  16. boonerville

Dislikes Received:
    Could have shot a 145" 10 point last night. I let him walk. Really pretty 3 year old.

17. drenman

drenman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Snuck out yesterday afternoon for a few hours. Saw a few does and fawns last night, one doe that was begging to get shot but I'm a softy and won't shoot one when there is a fawn with her. I know by now they are ok but it's just how I'm wired.

Bucks have been scarce, only buck I've seen was a young 8 and he didn't even give me a shot. They are around, just a matter of AIS. (Ass In Stand)

I should be able to hunt a couple times this weekend, the moisture has finally let up here and the combines should be running hard the next couple weeks.

Okiebob and slickbilly-d like this.
  18. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Going out tonight and hunting a core area that I rarely even tread through. I have had a camera back there for a month now that I need to check, hope to see Tenderloin Squirts, Whodatdeer and Ghost on that sd card!

My buddy called me this morning, he told me that kid has been the first one on the job site every morning and the last to leave.

drenman and slickbilly-d like this.
  19. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had a nice sit last night. Saw 2 bucks, a decent 8 and the buck I call whodatdeer. Pulled the sd cards, nothing more than what I expected, little bucks in the day and larger ones at night. The scrape activity has increased big time since the cool fronts have moved in. I'm thinking I will go out a couple of times this weekend but am really just waiting for the following week when I know they will start to roam a little more and hopefully in daylight. Still a ton of acorns on the ground.

20. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So, I would like to think he walked under my stand yesterday on his way to the feeder but who knows. What do y'all think he will score? IMAG1394.JPG IMAG1395.JPG IMAG1396.JPG IMAG1398.JPG