Revenge of the 5th. Team 5 Official thread.

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Okiebob, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The guy I bought this piece of ground off of has worked at a tree nursery for well over thirty years. My point, I have groves of every oak that will grow in Oklahoma on my place. I took a walk the other day and discovered a patch of Burr and Sawtooth oaks that haven't produced much in the past but are absolutely loaded with huge acorns compared to the native post oaks. Needless to say, I hung my old gorilla hang on close to them and will be out starting tomorrow and through the weekend.

flopdrop, countryfamily and drenman like this.
  2. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not trying to jinx myself.. My neighbor just called and said he spotted a huge buck in my front pasture. So I sent him a pic of "Tenderloin Squirts" to see if it was him. His response was very encouraging, he said "Are you kidding me, I said huge buck." Tenderloin Squirts is in the 150's.. I suspect this is the old buck on the neighbors place and he is out and about early this year. I nicknamed him Ghost bc that's what he is. It's on like donkey Kong y'all!

MSBK1, pastorbigdan and slickbilly-d like this.
  3. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tonight is a night for hunting bucks, so I’m going to where I think I may see some movement. Never hunted it from the side I’ll be setting up, but I should at least be able to over look the doe bedding and the locust/cedar thicket. Wind should be blowing my scent into the neighbors horse pasture. Going to give it a shot. Hopefully I’ll atleast learn something and maybe gather some intel

4. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Plan on hitting it tomorrow morning as our weather has finally cooled down. Hoping to start seeing bucks on their feet. Cameras aren't showing much movement so far.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

5. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Checked a cam and my target buck showed up on Monday right at 7:00pm. I know where he’s bedding when he’s going that way, I just can’t figure out ahead of time when he’ll pass through.

6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just finished my bowhunter survey for the night. 2 does, 3 fawns, 2 dinky bucks. Came within ten yards of this dope on the way out. He finally turned around and I stomped at him, he never even blew or took off, just turned around and kinda sauntered off. Even used the flash.. 20181011_192107.jpg

7. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sat in the woods for about two hours this morning. I'm soaked, cold and loving it. Not one single mosquito bite!

KDORSETT12 and MSBK1 like this.
  8. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Leaving work at lunch to go make my first sit of the year. I have zero expectations other than enjoying sitting in a tree on a cool afternoon. I’m gonna sit over a secluded clover plot where my #1 buck hangs out. I don’t have many daylight pictures of him lately but it also just turned off cool. I figure he’s eating acorns in a thicket about 200 yds away but hey you never know. My #2 buck also just showed up on camera yesterday afternoon about 30 minutes before dark too so that is exciting. It’s the first pics I’ve gotten of him since July. I’m gonna try to snuggle up tight to him in the morning while I listen to the Youths shoot rifles at the deer (hopefully in the distance).

The weather is finally here (temporarily at least). It’s time to get busy.
    :bow:

KDORSETT12, slickbilly-d and Okiebob like this.
  9. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Hitting the corn field edge tonight, brought a camera to put up over what looks to be a community scrape. It’s about 6’ in diameter. I was told there was a huge buck around there last Nov, but I never laid eyes on him, just this blurry pic that kind of makes you think it could be nice, but also makes you wish the pic wasn’t blurry. So I’ll be set up on that tree line tonight waiting on a doe. [​IMG]

Okiebob likes this.
  10. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a nice first hunt. I saw a doe and two fawns and a yearling 6 ptr and a 4 yr old 5x2 buck that has been running with my #1 all Summer. When he popped out an hour before dark I got pretty excited but his big buddy was a no show. I had to wait a bit after dark to get out of there undetected but I think I pulled it off. Back at it in the morning and will be watching the phone hoping that my 7 yr old niece knocks one down during the Youth rifle hunts. Downside is I have to wear that ugliest of colors this weekend.

Good luck if you guys get out there.

KDORSETT12 likes this.
  11. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just had a cool hunt. Bucks sparring and I smacked us a doe. Will update later. Gotta do some work now! Lol

12. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome!

13. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am out at my place and dealing with a trespasser. Caught him parking at my north gate and jumping the fence. I have dealt with this enough in the past so I have a deputy that I call. Waited until first light and the deputy and I walked down to where he was. I always love the excuses. "Oh I have permission from the land owner." Well that's me and no you dont. There is more to this but we are heading into town now.

14. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

15. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Tie him to a chair and beat some info out of him about Tenderloim Squirts! Lol

16. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Woohoo! Score!!

boonerville likes this.
  17. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well I posted in the live thread but the short version is got to the stand late and had a nice doe pass me just as I was settling in. Minutes later I barely see two bucks sparring out in a clearing through the rows of cypress trees ahead of me. One was decent. Gave a light grunt and they both came by me at 15 yds. This was the bigger one at 25 yds. He stood there for maybe 5 minutes. I just couldn’t decide if I wanted to shoot him or not. He had a nice body but was lacking up top. By the time I decided I would I didn’t have a shot. Fast fwd 15 min and this doe came in. I drilled her at 25 yds. Behind her shoulder and blew through her opposite shoulder into the ground. She’s small but man is she going to eat good D030DC71-D53D-45F2-8B81-1A48A270D8F0.jpeg 7BE1E64E-A84E-4A47-A285-2C9EE34C33DD.jpeg EC3E6A58-A478-4919-B259-2542E39F52B1.jpeg D2864130-A856-4650-9D45-E5BE5067E892.jpeg F738860C-B6CC-4416-948F-416CA347672D.jpeg

18. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    She looks delicious. I like them that size.
    :chewy:

Okiebob and Shocker99 like this.
  19. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heck yeah, she will eat nice!

20. KDORSETT12

KDORSETT12 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be in the Georgia woods this weekend just as the cold front is hitting! Excited to be in the woods with some cooler weather hopefully get to see some deer! A little less than a month away for my Kentucky trip as well!

Okiebob and slickbilly-d like this.