Revenge of the 5th. Team 5 Official thread.

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by Okiebob, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like I will be overseeding one of my plots today. I gambled trying to get it in early and paid the price. I had a little over a half inch of rain the day after planting it but then the Oklahoma sun decided to make one last stand and throw some 100° weather at it. The brassicas, clover and some of the barley came up wilted and died. So, off to the co-op to get some more clover, alfalfa and chicory. With rain in the forecast every day this week overseeding should work just fine. I will also be frost seeding this plot again in the spring.

2. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, thanks. We figure on a couple more years before going but this gives me some direction as we work towards that. I'm thinking s lease probably makes the most sense at this point. It's fun to make plans and hunt a bug hunt to look forward to. This may help w/ the fact that I haven't secured anything out west to hunt this year :-\ I do have a buddy working on a potential Nebraska rifle hunt but not sure where that may land, lots of variables. We have an archery bear hunt during the first week of Nov so I'm hoping to get on one w/ my bow. I have decent pics close by.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

boonerville likes this.
  3. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went out and overseeded yesterday and just about the time I made the last crank on the broadcaster it began to rain, 2 inches of slow steady rain with some brief downpours. I ended up throwing in a pound of kohlrabi close to one edge, not so much for the deer as it is for me.

slickbilly-d likes this.
  4. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How do you cook the Kohlrabi? I’ve wanted to try it but never pulled the trigger on buying or growing any.

5. flopdrop

flopdrop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello, everone. I finally read through all the posts on here. I see everyone has some nice bucks to pursue this year. I will do my best with helping out. I got a phone that takes pics. this year and a friend suggested an app called tapatalk so I cant have any excuses for posting my deer this year.
    I live just south of St.Louis here in Illinois and mostly hunt bar ground along the Mississippi River. The river has flooded this ground the past 9 years which hasn't been very productive. I take 2 weeks off to hunt Public ground in Brown & Adams Counties the first part of November. Been doing this yearly since 1988. This Public ground has also been hit by EHD several times in the past several years. Which takes alot of excitement out of bowhunting after 40+ years. I have purchased 20 acres and built a clubhouse in Franklin County all in the past 4 years which has taken up lots of my vacation generally used for hunting. I have placed cameras out since buying the property and will be posting up pics if I figure this tapatalky thing out. This little 20 acres sits on a little creek branch along "The Little Muddy River" with very high deer numbers and hunters. So chances of getting deer over 150" are slim. The past 10 years of Mother Nature letdowns has me more content in just enjoying the outdoors instead of chasing a dream of some day killing a 160" or bigger deer. The onething is I still love deer meat. So as long as I'm able I will still be in Mother Natures bedroom in the fall and who knows she might just be kind enough to reward me with the dream I pursued so hard for 40+ years.

6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like it raw in salads or for a snack but when I cook it I have an old family recipe. Peel it, core it and slice in good sized pieces. Place in pot with barely enough water to cover it, bring to a boil, drain it but reserve the liquid. Melt a pat of butter with a little oil and make a rue with flour. Slowly add back the reserved liquid until it makes a thick gravy/sauce. Season it with white pepper, salt, marjoram and granulated garlic. Add in some precooked sausage, I use grobe brats, some of the smaller leaves from the kohlrabi or cooked spinach.

That being said, it makes a great addition to creamed spinach.

And I haven't always been a roofing salesman. From the time I was 13 until I was 37 I was in a professional kitchen. I am a Certified Executive Chef, retired.

Shocker99 and slickbilly-d like this.
  7. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome man! I grew up west of St. Louis in Hermann Missouri. We used to run over close to you every year to buy horseradish, my old man is crazy for the stuff.

8. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So, I was going through some pics on my phone. Realized that this 11 pointer I posted early on is a 3.5 yo. It wasn’t the buck I was thinking of and I’m really not sure if I have pics from last year of him. You can tell by the G4 on the left side it’s the same buck in the black and white pic. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Anyway, hopefully more pics to come Saturday. We’re supposed to get 3-5” of rain this weekend. I tell myself if I go in the rain, it washes my scent away. The solution to pollution is dilution. Don’t know if it helps, but it makes me feel better about checking my cams.

Shocker99 and Okiebob like this.
  9. MSBK1

MSBK1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok then it’s official... if we win this thing the celebratory cookout is at OkieBob’s house.
    :chewy:

Okiebob, drenman and Shocker99 like this.
  10. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds good!

Okiebob and Shocker99 like this.
  11. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I was cooking in Germany I worked three months at a traditional Bavarian restaurant in Tegernsee. It was winter and venison is a delicacy. It would absolutely throttle my chef when I told him I made jerky, deer chili and meatloaf. So I learned how to cook it right. I can do a sauerbraten that would blow your ever loving mind.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  12. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey flopdrop, I’m just east of St. Louis so we are close. I hunt the Mississippi banks to so I know how the flooding has screwed things up. Still some big deer in there they just know how to hide I’ll post some pics of deer I got within 50 yards of the Mississippi here in a few

13. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Guessing you are near Dupo/Columbia?

14. flopdrop

flopdrop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Little farther south between Fults & Fort de Chartres. You will SEE monster bucks if it doesn't flood for a couple years. I empasized on SEE cause the land I hunt runs directly north and south which is 90% of your wind most days, making hunting them very hard. Hinge cutting helps change the odds but the Corps of Engineers say thats a no no since flood of 93. You will be fined if caught doing it. I guess the beavers have more money and balls than I do.

Shocker99 likes this.
  15. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like it's time for a pet beaver..

flopdrop likes this.
  16. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    Card pull update: nothing to show besides does, does, fawns, and more does. Acorns are dropping, the cornfield on the other side of the neighbors property looks ready to be picked. The woods behind that field is full of white oaks, so I’m going to make an educated guess that they’re hanging around those white oaks behind the corn. I have permission to hunt that piece of property, I just don’t have any cameras down there. There are two other people that have permission there, but they only hunt around gun season.

October 1st through about the 20th, I’m going to hunt field edges at my parents and the field on the other side of the neighbors property. Probably hit a few public land spots in that time. I’m going to save the 40 acre patch behind my house and stay out of the back until late October/November. I’ve blown it up too early the past two years thinking a big buck was there and in reality, they just pass through until late season when they start hitting the big locust patch back there.

I may give my stand near my food plot a go once the food sources change up a bit.

Okiebob likes this.
  17. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    But hey, I got those doe bedding areas on lock!

18. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    F07D3DD5-0308-4FF4-A8B2-7AEFEB304D0D.jpeg Me and a buddy got a turnip plot in a few days ago. Hope this becomes a late season death trap

Okiebob, MSBK1 and slickbilly-d like this.
  19. pastorbigdan

pastorbigdan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I pulled a few cards also and got a nice surprise on a community scrape. It's video and the buck goes thru in about 1/2 sec so I'll spare you the video. I have had a camera in this scrape for 3 years and have noticed that it's a doe who tends to start the scrape. On Aug 8th, a mature doe came in and marked the branch. She chewed the Limb and stood in the scrape. She doesn't paw the ground but if it's like past years, the bus is will start by Sept 1 and the frequency will increase thru the middle of Nov. This scrape is 1/2mile from any road or houses and I only go in 3-4 times a year to check/hunt it. Anyone else running cameras over scrape sights?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

20. slickbilly-d

Dislikes Received:
    I had one over a scrape the year before last. It wasn’t 50 yards from my back yard. It saw a lot of action, but they were all night time pics, except for a few. The scrape never got hit last year. I came across another scrape that year downwind from a doe bedding area. You can see my climbing sticks on the tree behind it, and I was in the stand when this pic was taken. I was dead set on an older buck and he didn’t look very old to me so I let him walk. That was two years ago and I haven’t seen him since. It’s awesome to watch them work one though.[​IMG]

drenman, pastorbigdan and Shocker99 like this.