Resources on using a mouth call.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Kfili, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought my first mouth call (primos Limb Hanger) and am having some trouble getting the hang of it. anyone have any good resources to figure this thing out?

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Practicing
    YouTube
    Practice
    Listening to real birds
    Practice

3. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have 4 or 5 mouth calls that I simply cannot use. Can not get a sound out of them. Gag on them every time I try to use them so accepted the fact I am not going to use a mouth call. But I can sure give a slate or glass call hell !

4. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Making sure you have the right fit for it in your mouth is a big part of it. You may have to trim the edges a bit to get to fit to the roof of your mouth correctly. Practice saying "derk" without the call and then say the same thing with it in your mouth. IMO it will help to get your tongue to move correctly and help with the sound. At least it works for me.

5. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Getting the fit I don't think is the problem as I have dentures. I have not heard of anyone with dentures that successfully uses a mouth call.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a high peaked roof of my mouth and I have wondered if that plays a role in why I cannot master the mouth call. I can use it for birds but I need to slate to get old toms in.

7. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your having success with a slate I would not fight the mouth call. Stick with what is working for you.

8. Trevor TFO

Trevor TFO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of cut do you have on your mouth call? Some cuts are harder to get the hang of than others. Every person is different, its all about figuring out what works for you. I have probably 10 different mouth calls but only use 2-3 of them because those are the ones that fit my mouth best and that I have found work the best for me. All trial and error

9. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What do you mean by "cut" on a mouth call ? ? How does one know when it fits right ? ? Has to fit before it will make any sound so guess non of mine "fit" ? ? How does one "fit" or "cut" a mouth call to dentures ? ?

10. Trevor TFO

Trevor TFO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    By "cut" I mean the cut in the reeds... Some have different cut configurations in the reeds which gives them a different pitch, multi reed calls or calls with big cuts in the reeds are harder to master most of the time. And like Jedi said you may need to cut the tape on the call to fit the roof of your mouth better, make sure the back curve of the call seals tight against the top of your mouth. Make sure to pull air from your diaphram and keep pressure on the call with your tounge.. Hope some of this helps, its hard to explain over text lol. Takes alot of practice, I keep mine in my truck and when I'm driving I throw one in and practice.

11. chieffan

chieffan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OK, that is a little more clear. Will have to see about that fit as with dentures I can take them out and cut the heck out of the call.