Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Resources for deer hunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by John T., Aug 13, 2019.

1. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been pondering the "Where do I go?" for several weeks after looking at the camera photos of deer. I have a topo map of Tennessee that is fairly detailed to show places with potential. It occurred to me that I have a Hunter Education class coming up next week. The opening part is a presentation by a wildlife officer...who has the general area where I would like to hunt. Here is my equation- Officer + topo map = places to hunt. Now to do some scouting but not enough to disturb the deer. Your thoughts? Anyone use onXmaps as a resource? Considering spending a few bucks and getting the one for TN. TIA.

2. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use OnX quite a bit. I may be a little too dependent on it. Even when I’m not looking for places to hunt I use it. It’s pretty handy

3. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yes on the OnX. Most state agencies nowadays will have an online map showing public land. I'd be shocked if TN didn't. I use mine regularly during the summer and fall.

4. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use OnX but I hunt a small piece of private land so really haven't used the app to it's full potential. I have used it for marking a couple of places I'd like to scout on public but haven't made it there yet. I think it's a great resource because of 2 things; property lines and based on public information records, who owns it.

5. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think you could do pretty good just opening two tabs....one of google maps' satellite view and the other with the online DNR map.