Replacing Limbs...Press Issue

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by MGH_PA, Sep 27, 2008.

1. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I just received my replacement limbs for my 101st. I pressed it, removed the cams/axles, relaxed the press, and now I'm having some issues. I have Gritty's Ultra press, and I can't get enough travel out of the jack to fully compress the limbs enough to get the axle/cable/string assembly back together. I'm trying to keep it all one piece so I can maintain my original tune the best I can (advice I received from RJ), but I cannot get the limbs compressed enough to even come close to getting the cams back in. Is this just a serious flaw with my press, or is there something I'm overlooking here?

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Loosen the limb bolts as far as you SAFELY can and that should give you a lot more play. I'm assuming (same riser as my Marquis) that you can see the limb bolt threads as it goes through that rotating block assembly (whatever you call it) that is in the riser. I would feel comfortable backing it down to the point of only seeing a couple of threads on the bolt through that block. Hope that makes sense, and it should give you a bit more room to get things on.

3. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    MGH,

Not sure if you'll see this one or the response on HNI that Matt/PA and I responded on but your pressing your bow wrong and I'm concerned that you may damage your limbs. (See pic)

The bottom pin on your press should not be part way up your limb. Your putting an extreme amount of pressure on that point of the limb. The pin should sit right in at the limb pocket. That and you could move the upper pin closer to the cam which should press the bow the amount you need to reattach your strings and cables.

Again, your pressing the bow wrong and I'm concerned for your limbs. I hope you see either this or HNI's response before pressing it too hard.

(On a side note and not pointing fingers but I wonder how many bows are truly pressed wrong even in dealers and then blamed on the bow limb itself?)

4. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Matt - I haven't seen the pic (HNI is down I guess?) but Rob and Matt are right. On an X press or any other press like that you need to have that pin that goes on the inside of the limb the whole way down to the riser. This is VERY important. The other pin on the outside, need to go as close to the cam as you can get it.

5. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys, like I said to Rob and Matt, too late though. Dropping off at a local shop tomorrow. Looking like the season is over for now.