Removing Cams

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TEmbry, Aug 6, 2008.

1. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, if I was to want to have my limbs and riser powdercoated on my bowfishing bow....how hard of a process is breaking down a compound bow? I have a portable ratchet press that I could break it down, remove strings, and unscrew limbs from limb pockets....but how would I remove the axles from the limbs and the limb pockets from the riser?

I plan on doing this to a browning rage if that helps any...

2. Washington Hunter

Washington Hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not hard.

Press the bow.

Remove the strings.

Take the bow out of the press.

Slide the limbs out of their pockets making sure not to lose any small pieces.

Use a flat head screw driver to pop one clip from one side of each axel.

Slip the axel from the hole, again making sure not to lose any small pieces.

Done.

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty easy as Dan said in his post. Only thing I would add is be easy pulling those e-clips off the axles when pulling the cams. Those little buggers can fly a ways if your not careful, and there is nothing more frustrating than crawling around on your hands and knees looking for the darned thing. ;)

4. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    When I took my bow down to give it a good lube job I never removed the strings or cables. I "paper-clipped" them to the cams and just popped off both cams. Then proceeded to remove the limbs from the riser, etc. It saves you a little time and frustration. Also, you don't have to worry about your strings/cables (un)twisting possibly throwing the bow out of spec. Don't know if it really matters to you on a bowfishing rig but it doesn't hurt.

[​IMG]

5. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The posts above covered the disassembly well but what I would add is note where shims and spacers are installed before taking bow apart.Take lots of pictures of everything before dismantling.