Remember lethalconnection (HNI's contest poacher)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rob / PA, Mar 24, 2009.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, I had a very similar situation occur on my property years ago. I was at home alone, the wife on the way home with my kids at around 10pm. I hear a loud explosion outside. I look outside and a guy had run through my driveway, blew up my mailbox and wrapped his truck around a tree. When I got outside the guy was walking down the middle of the road, dazed, confused, drunk, and bleeding like hell. I finally convinced him that I was here to help him. I was not happy with the situation but I dealt with it.

I first questioned him and asked him what the heck he was doing. He repeatedly told me that he went out to have a few drinks with some of his co-workers when he realized that they actually had stolen merchandise off of one of his jobsites, he was a master carpenter. He said he got loaded and pissed and left the scene....then he ended up on my property. I towed the guys demolished truck up onto my property. I then laid into him, explaining to him that my wife and kids were only 5 minutes from home at the time and always check the mail when they come up the driveway, and that he would have more than likely killed them if he would have hit them. The 25 year old man started to cry and I mean really cry as I poured it on. I called his parents who lived in the area and they came and got him. They told me he was a good man but had been having some serious problems at work with theft.

The guy came back the following day and recovered his truck and installed a brand new beautiful mailbox on my land. About a year later, I needed some work done to my house and called the guy. He showed up that day after work and completely reframed my basement...the entire thing...and then left without asking to be paid. He told my wife, "I received a gift and I want to repay it to you". He learned his lesson I believe.

2. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

You mean QCM? I am a charter member :d

3. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hey let's get to 11 before we start talking about a dozen. :d

4. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    VS - best post yet maybe ever! I avoided the slammer on many many occasions, by the grace of God no doubt. As for LC, I read his pathetic excuse of an apology and I have very little simpathy for this "kid" (used loosely) but a criminal record is a hard thing to shake later in life when "some" of us grow up.

5. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The father should be hung up by his junk in front of his son .... that would do it :d

6. NCcrittergitter

NCcrittergitter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In this instance I fully agree PT. I'm one of the lucky ones that actually had a great role model as a father. Sounds like LC didn't have much of path to follow.

7. BowTech_Shooter

BowTech_Shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Who's right or who's wrong...Who cares...

In the end, game laws were broken and there were charges brought down on a poacher... I'm happy about that... End of story...
    :cool:

8. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

VS, sure thats all fine and dandy that he re-payed you for NOT turning him in. Do you think the guy really "learned the real lesson" or he was just thankful he didn't get caught because you didn't call the police???

9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    BowHuntingFool, I don't know man. I work with juveniles in a lock up facility and had an older brother who was in and out of lock up then finally prison so maybe I have a soft spot. I went out into the road to help a dead person from the truck. I really thought the man in the truck was dead. His truck was totally demolished, airbag deployed, and the front axle broken in half. I am not sure how the guy survived. That thought hit me as I talked the guy and then I made my move by helping him. I just acted on instinct. Right or wrong, I am not sure. But I can tell you one thing, his parents showed up and gave him a rash of crap. They both told him they were very disappointed in him and seemed like really great people. I had a feeling in my heart that I was doing right.

10. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is what this whole thread boils down to. Each of us must do what we feel is right in our hearts. The action, or inaction, won't be the same for everyone but the reason for the action, or inaction, will be.

11. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Good thing there are no childish nicknames that rhyme with germ.

:nana:

12. rickmur

rickmur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    He was a kid with bad schooling. Hope this incident turns him in the right direction.

13. PABuck_HNTR

PABuck_HNTR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I remember it well. I remember all the Team Captain's had to vote on whether he got disqualified or not. My Team Captain was gonna let it slide, but enough of us wrote him emails and he did what was right. I don't feel sorry for the kid. I agree that his letter just didn't show remorse to me. However it's over and done and hopefully he's learned a thing or two.

14. Scot

Scot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! That was fun.Haven't been on in a few days and you see what I miss.I just read every response in this thread.Lot's of interesting commentary.I have similar thoughts as many folks here and also similar conflicts.
    I remember the kid posting the picture and I got on him right away because it was incredibly disrespectful to the animal.
    Unfortunately this kid didn't seem to have much of a chance based on his close family mentors and likely his upbringing as well.None of us know any thing about this young man beyond his known game law violations.The family circumstances would seem to indicate that the path he was on would be a particularly hard one to break without legal intervention.I have no doubt that it was his family that failed him and let's all hope that his punishment will be part of the solution that allows him to see that.You can either succeed because of your circumstances or in spite of them,and I hope this kid gets angry as hell at his upbringing and vows to have his life be different.
    I see everyone's points.I do believe that in some/many instances that only thing that is going to straighten someone out is the cold hard reality of a significant punishment.I also very much believe in discretion,no two circumstances are a like and all of the variables need to be taken in to consideration before we can render a verdict.
    Many here have commmented on the mistakes they have made in their youth and I am no different,My nickname as a teenager was arrow (as in straight as)yet I can't count the number of times I got behind the wheel of my car after long nights of drinking.I am very fortunate to have never caused injury to another person or to have lost my own life.It was stupid and irresponsible as hell,and I was a good kid in everyone else's eye's.The point being is that I can understand how many here are reluctant to come down hard on a young person of LC's age,it's to bad there couldn't have been some form of alternative sentencing like a one year stint working with a reputable outfitter or mandatory hours riding with a fish and game officer,things that would help him to see his actions from the right perspective.

15. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Damn, if thats punishment count me in!:deer: :d :deer:

16. Scot

Scot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would rather build someone up than break them down if I thought they were reachable.Get an outfitter to work his tail off,let him be around clients who are successful and love to hunt and love the outdoors,that kind of hard work and positive exposure could do him a lot more good than a Felony conviction and a fine that he will resent the law for and having him remain in his same home environment.I doubt this kid has much of a chance unless he gets away from his present circumstances.

17. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    :hater:

I about fell out of my chair

18. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What a SOB :busted:

19. Gr8atta2d

Gr8atta2d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dang now I see how you guys get your post counts so high...I missed out again.

By the way I agree! :)