Release

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Kenneth Bradley, May 31, 2021.

1. Kenneth Bradley

Kenneth Bradley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I realize this question may have been asked and answered many times already, but I want to have my own thread about it so here goes. Many years ago I had an old archery setup that was liberated (stolen) from my locked shop. When I shot I used a wrist strap with a trigger style release (sorry but still learning and not sure what this type is called). I am sure that over the years things have changed. My new Bear Inception (29" draw 70# with a whisker biscuit rest) arrived this week. I look forward to picking it up next week. I will pose the same question to the pro shop that I ordered from, but I wanted to see what you guys say here first. This setup will be used for close in deer hunting this upcoming season. Thank you in advance for you input.

Ken

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hit a few shops and try a few styles out

3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The old kind you used is called an index release. I too still just call them a wrist release most of the time.
    What kind of release you use really comes down to preference. Many are using hand held releases these days, with thumb buttons or tension/hinge type firing. Some tether them, some put them in a pocket, and some carry them in a holster. I've also seen where many people just attach it to the string once they get up into a tree or sit down in a blind.
    Going to a hand held after being used to an index will of course require some practicing. You'll have a different anchor to the side of your face and may have to play with the d-loop length. There are some good Youtube videos on where/how to anchor with a hand held.
    I still use an index release, I simply find it very convenient to strap to my wrist while chasing elk and it is there and ready when I need it. I like that it is attached to me and can be forgotten about until I want it. I'm using one made by TruFire, the caliper arm length is adjustable and the whole arm folds back out of the way of my hand. I like the folding feature for getting it away from my hand so I can nock an arrow from my bow mounted quiver without it clacking around and making noise. I can flip it back forward one handed by jamming the caliper head against my side and sliding my arm backwards.

4. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Kenneth
    I used a wrist strap index release for a few years. They will work fine. As stated above try all that you can I found that the tougher the shot I would tense up and found myself gripping the release and it was changing my arrow flight. The fix for me was to go to a thumb release designed to be gripped problem solved.
    Kirk