Refuse to hunt!!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by AdamC, Oct 23, 2015.

1. AdamC

AdamC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went hunting last night I drove the 20 mins to my spot got all my gear together and realized I forgot my grunt tube. I hunted anyway but it git me thinking what I would have to forget to not hunt. I would have to forget my bow or release or camo. I will not hunt with out a scent killing shower, scent free cloths or the right wind. How about you guys what would it take?

2. Walbash

Walbash Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't hunt in rain. usually just take bow and wear a leaf suit unless i'm not hunting off ground. use my mouth to grunt bleat etc...

my release stay's fastened on my lower riser so it's always with bow

3. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My tags for one. Safety harness, then my release. Warm enough clothes.

4. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure how someone could forget their bow, release, arrows, or tags.

I am confident that I will NEVER forget something essential to the hunt. My secret is organization.

5. AdamC

AdamC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I didnt even think of TAGS just because I leave them in my hunting truck.

6. Wiscohunter

Wiscohunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Forgot my arrows that had my broadhead and only had field tips. Didn't hunt that day...thought about it though.

7. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm lucky enough to live maybe 5 mins from where I hunt, but I'd haveta forget my bow to not hunt. About everything else I can get by without having a ground blind if forget harness or camo and a ladder stand if only forget hadness, it only about 12 foot off ground so while something could still happen I wouldn't hesitate to sit there.

I usually got everything pretty organized though and know right where everything is and what I need to grab heading out the door.

8. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've shown up and forgot my safety lanyard before...I find somewhere on the ground to hunt from. Outside of forgetting my release or arrows, I can't think of anything that would keep me from going.

9. Michael.herb

Michael.herb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I might just sit there if I forgot my bow lol. Safety gear is all I really need. Sometimes just being in the woods is enough to make it worth it.

10. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bow and release, what else do you actually need to get it done.

Forgot my safety belt, hunted from the ground that day.
    Forgot my license, hunted anyway.
    Forgot my hunter orange, had a bright orange sweatshirt in my bag (got lucky).
    Forgot my knife. Had to call my uncle to bring one as I actually shot a deer that day!

Would hunt without most of my stuff including boots, camo, etc. Might not be able to last long on some hunts but, I would make the effort.

11. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I couldn't agree more.

12. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot my broadheads one time and still went...just sat there and enjoyed the sit instead.

I wasn't turning back around after a 30 minute drive. Plus I don't get to hunt as often as I'd like. So every minute in the woods counts!

13. Coop

Coop Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I forgot my safety harness I would just hunt on the ground so that wouldn't do it. It would take forgetting my arrows or release. I have tried shooting my bow with fingers and the string angle is too severe being a short ATA bow.

To Jake's comment above, it is easier than you think. When I hunted trad I tried a back quiver once. One morning about 3:30 am I loaded up and head out and my truck wouldn't start. I switched everything over to my car and headed out. I got to my spot and started into the woods and, yep you guessed it, no arrows. Being used to keeping my arrows on my bow I didn't even think to grab the back quiver. That turned into a scouting trip because I wasn't wasting a 2 hour drive LOL.

14. turkish621

turkish621 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the only time this worries me is the first time I hunt each year. I an neurotic about triple checking everything. Once the season starts, I have all my essentials in place so I have not had an issue. I did forget my harness one time so I just made a quick blind and hunted from there.

15. FLTXILduck

FLTXILduck Newb

Dislikes Received:
    twice this year I made the pack in, made the climb up, sat down and got all set only to realize my release was not with me. Fortunately, both times I had it in the vehicle. But....lesson here.....slooooooooooooow down, account for all critical gear. Rushing to get to the spot has never increased my kills....but it has increased my headaches by forgetting this or that. Now, I slow it down and have a system and haven't forgot anything for a few weeks.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    5 minute walk from the house to the stand, if I forget I turn around and get it.

17. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As Jake/Pa mentioned, organization is key. I always keep things in the EXACT same spot to avoid forgetting/misplacing anything. I also keep certain back-up items in my day pack, such as a second release in the event I drop it, I don't have to come back down the tree, disturbing the area.

18. Pichy

Pichy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I also carry a second release, tucked way in the bottom of my pack. My arrows are in my attached bow quiver all season, and I won't forget my bow. Might forget my tree stand, but not likely (I set up/take down every hunt). I have two knives in my pack. I won't forget my pack. I have forgotten my safety harness, but was able to borrow one of my brother's. I should carry one of my extras that came with my LW stands as a spare. I agree with Early- keep things in the same spot always, and count on your system.

19. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I keep all my gear in my pack and clothes in a tote. All I have to do is grab those two things along with stand/bow and I'll be set.

Understand that it can happen but people make it harder than it actually is. Just take the time to put everything back where it belongs.

20. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Arrows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk