Reflex Grizzly (first bow and i have a few general questions)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by minnis12, Oct 15, 2012.

1. minnis12

minnis12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone im new on here and ive been checking the site out since i got my bow last week. i got a used reflex grizzly and i really like it and ive been trying to find some basic info on it (materials, general fps, etc...) and i was hoping maybe someone on here would know a little bit about one or maybe even have/had one. any input is great. thanks in advance. ps. if you have/had one, what sights, rests, peeps did you think worked best for it?

Thanks, Matt

2. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I owned a Reflex Grizzley in the past - really liked it. Don't remember exact FPS but thinking I was in the 230 FPS range with a fairly heavy arrow (but really a total guess at this point as that was many moons ago)... Little longer bow so it seemed fairly stable. Back then I was shooting a Whisker Biscuit, Trophy Ridge 5 pin site and Beeman/Easton arrows - though I tried other sites/rests/etc on it and never seemed to have any issues. Buying a used bow, first thing I would suggest is getting a new set of strings and cables put on it. Hard to know how old that set is and how many shots are on the current string/cables and you certainly don't want them snapping when shooting... Also - putting a good set on should allow you to put a tubeless peep in if you want (I remember having to put on a tubed peep because the factory cable/string set wasn't that great).

Don't quote me but I believe those bows may have Hoyt's magnesium riser which is good and bad... Made the bows more reasonable but the risers are a little more prone to warping (true with any bow, but especially don't leave your bow in your car and let it get super hot and super cold all the time - it's hard on magnesium risers - or so I've been told). Also be careful when pressing.

3. minnis12

minnis12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Alright thanks! do you know if there is a way to push it up to around 250 FPS or more? draw weight isnt a problem for me. ive pulled close to 80# on some bows my friends had without an isssue.

4. SouthDakotaHunter

SouthDakotaHunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My personal thoughts are that 250 would really be pushing it with a 60 or 70 lb bow (not sure what limbs you have - more than likely they either max out around 60 or 70 lbs)... Looks like Outdoor life did a review on it years ago and they said in their testing it shot 224.6 FPS with the bow set at 60 lbs (they didn't mention what arrow or total weight of what they used). That sounds about right because I was pulling that bow near max for my 70lbs limbs and was pretty sure I was in the 230's someplace...

Its not a speed bow but I thought it was a nice shooting bow, I think you'll like it. Fairly forgiving and quiet... My suggestion would be to set the limbs near max, get yourself some properly spined arrows and just go with it - wouldn't worry about getting caught up in trying to make up that last 10-20 FPS...

5. minnis12

minnis12 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    ya that sounds about right. i guess im just so used to seeing these new mid range bows shooting out 300+ FPS. but i also got this bow for free from a family member. and i totally agree about it being so easy to shoot and VERY forgiving. Very nice bow though, i think im going to get quite a bit of use out of it!

6. trentcook77

trentcook77 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I still hunt with my Reflex Grizzly. Its maxed out at 70#. Its set at 30" draw. I have graphed it at 278 fps shooting 9.5 gpi carbon 300s. Its always worked great for me. I hunt everything i can with it (elk, deer, bear, etc.) and i will be using it this fall for a moose and caribou hunt. I have killed elk at 50 yards with it and regularly practice at 80 yards. I have never had so much as a hiccup with this bow. Now days there isnt really a bad bow out there in my opinion. Some bows just work better for some people than others.