Red Flash vs No Glow Cameras

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Tyler Anderson, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Tyler Anderson

Tyler Anderson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    First time posting but I'm hoping for some opinions. I have several Tactacam Reveal cellular cameras with the IR flash and they work well. I'm wondering what anyone's opinion is on updating to the Reveal X Pro with the No Glow technology. I currently place my cameras 6ft high and always on a wide profile tree and the deer still seem to look at them. Do the deer spook more with the IR vs No Glow and is it worth updating good working cameras for a few new cameras with the No Glow? I appreciate everybody's feedback.

2. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    my older cams are regular red, newer ones are no-glow and will be here on out ..... it is easy for humans to see the red, Ive had guys look right at the cam on the second pic, deer can see the red glow also ...

3. Brian811

Brian811 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've seen some deer spook at first over the red glow but they calm back down and seem to tolerate it after that.

4. Lina Roth

Lina Roth Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No Glow technology is designed to be completely invisible to both humans and animals, which can be an advantage when it comes to spooking game animals. However, it is worth noting that the No Glow cameras can be more expensive than cameras with IR flash technology. Additionally, the No Glow cameras often have a shorter battery life due to the higher power consumption required to operate the No Glow LEDs.

That being said, it is possible that the deer are already familiar with the IR flash technology, and so switching to No Glow cameras may not make a significant difference in terms of spooking the deer. If your current cameras are working well and you're not experiencing any issues with them, it may not be necessary to upgrade to the Reveal X Pro with No Glow technology.

Ultimately, the decision to upgrade to the No Glow technology should be based on your specific situation and budget. If you are experiencing issues with deer being spooked by your current cameras and have the budget to upgrade, then it may be worth considering the Reveal X Pro with No Glow technology. However, if your current cameras are working well and you're not experiencing any issues, then it may not be necessary to upgrade.

5. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Depends what I'm using it for and how. I have begun hanging cams on public land and hang them 10 feet or so off the ground out of line of sight from humans in hopes they aren't noticed and stolen. In that application, the red flash models aren't that big of a deal imo. If they're at ground level with the deer or humans... no glow for sure.

As a side note. I just bought a super cheap tasco camera from walmart that so far int he back yard testing it, has worked really well. For 30 bucks, I can buy a skid of them and if any get stolen on public, its not the end of the world.

6. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    how is the picture quality on those compared to say a $169-$189 Browning or similar, and is it red, white or no glow ??

7. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if your question was directed to me but I'll respond anyway. haha. The pic quality is on par, in my opinion, with my Brownings. I personally don't put a ton of stock in quality unless its really bad. I use cams for scouting and getting a good idea of whats there so its important, but not at the top of the list. Trigger speed seems very good too. These are red glow cams. At this point, I really think i'm going to grab more of them and start throwing them all over the mountains here. They've checked all the boxes for me.

8. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ok ... I saw some of the micro Moultrie 42 and 42i's at Rural King for $79/89 .... seems the reg. 42's got better reviews than the IR version .. not that I really need more cams, but those micros intrigued me, a bare bones mini cam ...

muzzyman88 likes this.
  9. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    I have never been one to spend much more than a 100 bucks on a camera. Even for private land that I know isn't going to disappear. Our bears here are a real PITA when it comes to cameras. I don't know what it is, but they love to mess with them and rip them off the tree. Now with hunting a lot of public, I am looking for dirt cheap, serviceable cameras that I can buy a handful at a time

10. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just brought two Browning's back in that have been out thru the season(s) ... they'll go back out in Aug. .. I may try one of those Micro 42 Moultrie's, I can make those very hard to see, esp. when I put 'em at 10-12 ft high or so ....