Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Red Dot or Crosshair Scope

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by Ky Bob, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I currently have the three dot illuminated scope that came with my Tenpoint but I'm thinking a crosshair type scope might be better. While hunting you would either keep the scope turned on or switch it on if you saw something coming which would create more movement. What's your thoughts? Which do you prefer the dot scope or crosshair? This will be my first year hunting with a crossbow.

2. tdelliott

tdelliott Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ky Bob
    I've been using a cross bow for 4 years due to some shoulder issues. Your 3 dot is all you need for a 20 to 30 yard shot. In my opinion a scope on a cross bow is over kill. You might want to go to Bass Pro Shop or Gander Mountain and shoot a crossbow with a scope to compare with your red dot.
    Godd luck and happy hunting.

3. Ky Bob

Dislikes Received:

Well the issue is do I keep it turned on as long as I'm hunting or risk more movement by leaving it off and then having to turn it on when deer come in. My dot scope has no crosshairs or anything when it's turned off. They should have at least put crosshairs of some kind in the scope.

4. schweges89

schweges89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With my three dot red dot I keep it off until I see the deer or at least hear them. Then I ever so gently turn it on whatever brightness I need. I havent had a problem spooking them at all. But thats just my preference. My sight doesnt make a noise when I turn it on or change the settings but some might.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

5. blugrass

blugrass Newb

Dislikes Received:
    red dot site

I just bought a Barnet jackel and it came with a red dot 3 dot site. After sighting in I shot 6 bolts and then my aim point changed drastically [about 8 inches at 30 yds]. The sight would not stay zeroed in. Finally I bought a crosshair scope and that solved the problem.
    Just a faulty sight, or are all red dot scopes that sensitive??

6. Ky Bob

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a bad scope. I got my Nikon Bolt crossbow scope sighted in a few days ago and it is sweet!

7. jpfree

jpfree Newb

Dislikes Received:

Is there a huge difference between the 2? I have an AP Inferno with a scope, loved it so far.

8. Ajay

Ajay Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Do not know what decision you have made since the time you first posted your concern about the red dot site, but in my case, when the red dot failed to illuminate while in my stand and left me with no way to make a shot, it was only a matter of hours before I purchased a scope with cross hairs that did not depend on any battery source to be useful.

Of note, the red dot sight was less than 6 weeks old and had been used for less than 50 shots. And, no, the sight was not on as I sat in the stand. Only when it was needed did I turn it on, only to find it would not turn on.

9. tdelliott

tdelliott Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you use a red dot you've got to carry an extra battery with you. No battery, no shoot. I still prefer a red dot over a scope.

10. johnstonab

johnstonab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i have a Horton Summit that came with a three dot red dot sight. it worked great the first couple of years. then whenever i would shoot the recoil had jared the battery cover enough that it would pop off. that combined with forgetting to shut it off, getting turned back on while waking out from the stand, had the battery die a few times. fortunately no missed deer b/c of this. by the time my Scope came in i was holding the battery cover on with duct tape.

the scope (brand slips my mind right now) does give the same advange as it would on a rifle in low light, it captures the light and makes it bright enough for the shot when i would normally be done for the night.

My other thought instead of the scope was going to be putting a peep and sight pin on it.

every brand is different, my bad luck could have been just a defective one made it to the store.

11. ZMAN1

ZMAN1 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using the red hot pin point scope and it is by far the most accurate scope I have used,,,thought it was a lil gimmicky at first but it is nice to just range the prey dial in the range and make your shot with the crosshairs

12. Samillion

Samillion Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have crosshairs , my wife has red dot. I like hers better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD