recurve shelf rest material?

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Mike the blind guy!, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Mike the blind guy!

Mike the blind guy! Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i pretty much lucked out into owning a black widow (i could never afford a new one) but when i got it, it had velco for the shelf rest the spiky side the arrow sat on (the actual shelf) and the soft (rug) side of velcro on the vertical part of shelf, a little terminalogy help would be appreciated also lol. i just got done reading an artical saying to use the rug side of velco or a cushiony leather nothing about the spiky side of the velcro which is what was on my widow when i got it.

My question, i was wondering in yalls experience what is the best material to use on my shelf rest? please help this idiot lol

2. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Mike, I use green felt with an adhesive back. It lasts forever..

[​IMG]

If you do not have access to an arts and crafts store or do not want to order anything online you can go down to your local food store and probably pick up some "Dr. Scholls mole skin"....works well. It also has an adhesive backing which makes putting it on easy. It will be in the health care section.

[​IMG]

3. bigcountry

bigcountry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Problem about using seal or bear rests, is they ar thick.

Its ok to use a thick arrow rest, but the backing plate, you want thin as possible. I used to buy all the thick rests, but these days I use very thin leather combo for backing plate and rest.

this way, your arrow spine can be more forgiving if its more center of the riser. If you use a thick rest side plate, it gets more finicky. But with that said, some thicken the backing plate to tune the arrow to a bow. lets say you are using weak arrow spines with a heavy bow, and its showing weak bare shaft reactions. you can thicken that rest to get a better tune, or decrease head wieght, or combinations.

4. Mike the blind guy!

Dislikes Received:
    bigcountry can you post a pic of your set up so i can see what you use and what you mean, leather combo? im super siked my skills are progressing at flinging arrows and hitting my target but the deeper im going into learning how to do it all correct the dumber i feel lol the backing plate thats the fabric or what ever you use is the part of the shelf that goes vertical? then what is the horizontal part called the actuall shelf its self whats the term? im reading all this stuff trying to learn but then i realize i dont even have any terms down lol :o

5. bigcountry

bigcountry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  6. Burnie

Burnie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    On almost all of the bows I build, I put velcrow (soft part) on the shelf and mole skin or leather on the backplate/sideplate/arrow plate (Ive seen them all used to discribe the vertical part of the arrow window). Like Mark said, you do not want a thick backplate. I will sometimes use moleskin for the whole thing.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  7. woodsman

woodsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use the soft half of Velcro for the shelf material and a thin piece of leather for the side plate. I've found it to be as effective as anything I've tried..

woodsman

8. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use mole skin on both places.

9. Mike the blind guy!

Dislikes Received:
    i just talked to the black widow when my bow was built in 93 they used the hard part of velcro on the shelf and the solf side for the slide plate now he said they using calf hair.