Recurve for deer hunting?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Mugzwump, Jan 22, 2014.

1. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Candlestick Challenge

When the boy can do this with his new bow he'll be ready to hunt.
    Sorry for the lag in audio but if you watch the flame you can see the arrows pass through it. This is true instinctive shooting not gap shooting.
    I got the video to play on the laptop but not the iPhone.

[​IMG]

2. Mugzwump

Mugzwump Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure where this is going anymore.

"Buck fever" happens when you're too excited as the game comes around. When you see a lot of animals you don't have that problem as you get used to the situation. Just takes time... go to a deer farm if you're suffering.

I just came back from ice fishing. I met a guy fishing for his dinner. It's -35 c. I shared my beer and we both got skunked. There are things here more important than youtube bud.

You want to tell me about how important "form" is... well read out the thread. I wont hunt with a tool that ain't cut from the right tree.

This whole thread was about the learning curve not what's taught or learned how or what not. I have a nice bow coming and I intend on using it. My limits are mine not yours.

VA, I'm defrosting some goose here and wondering that the carbon arrows wont take to tied flecthing. I'll have to glue them feathers right?

Mugz.

3. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Forget the recurve for hunting just go to a compound bow.

4. Mugzwump

Mugzwump Newb

Dislikes Received:

LOL...

That's probably the only comment on this thread that makes any real sense.

I might end up using a compound in the end. Depends on the how the practice goes with the Sage. If it goes south then hopefully I can get my hands on a bow that isn't being used. I do like the recurve style. Back on the rez it'll get some laughs's anyways.

Mugz.

5. huntandbushcraft

huntandbushcraft Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Mugz,

just because its a compound doesnt mean all your form issues will be fixed, you still need proper technique compund or taditional, however with a compound you will have an advantage with the sights and would be more newbie friendly

6. chubber

chubber Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I guess you are off the board mugz;
    But..
    I tried to do a very similar thing. My wife bought me a beautiful hand made re-curve at a charity auction a few years ago and I was eager to start hunting with it. Of course I loved the gift and wanted to make her proud with it. Nothing doing.. I quickly found out that that frigging thing was as finicky as a golf swing and as complex as knife throwing. At 15-20 yards no less. So I perched it above my mantle and it serves as really sweet wall art. I wouldn't say I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it, because well.. I probably could, if the wind were just right. Anyway.. I got a Pearson compound and am still getting confident with it. I could probably hunt fine with it, but like you, the last thing I want to do is make an animal suffer. When my shot groups get a little more consistent I may try next season. I currently hunt with a Horton Crossbow, I believe that's the best thing for a person segwaying from rifle to archery. Yes, my Brotherhood will consistently hit at 40+ yards, but I wouldn't try it on an animal. As far as dropping them quick, the Rage mechanical broad-heads have worked great for me, haven't had one run further than about 30 yards after impact. -Chubber

Deer hunting through Feb 28? Beaver Lake Lodge - Fishing, Golfing, Fun and More!

7. chubber

chubber Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Where the heck are you that it's so freaking cold man? If you're ice fishing and it's negative 32 you're already a bad-a$$ in my book. I couldn't handle that. Oh yeah.. Canada. Sorry, just remembered that. I'd be nervous as heck to shoot a polar bear with any kind of bow btw.
    -Chubber
    Beaver Lake Lodge - Fishing, Golfing, Fun and More!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  8. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:

I'm not a fan of hunting with recurves unless your able to practice everyday. I believe half the people hunting with them today really have no business bring those bows into the woods. Even guys that are good with them aren't that good. But that's me:-/

Henry Ford made the model-T for 20 years but that doesn't mean we shouldn't evolve.

9. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    Your assumption of traditional bowhunters is quite incorrect. Those that take recurves and longbows into the woods are VERY dedicated to their sport, probably more so than many compound shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

10. Mugzwump

Mugzwump Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yea you wouldn't catch me looking at a polar bear sideways without heavy artillery on hand.

The -30's aren't too bad for fishing as long the wind isn't too strong. Worst thing is just the hole freezing over fast. Makes tip-ups useless.

11. Mugzwump

Mugzwump Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly hunting with a bow these days doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me... but for some reason the laws give us a whole lot more bow season than rifle... As I didn't even get a chance to go out last rifle season I figure I should look at some bow hunting options to give me more time to fit a deer hunt in.

mugz

12. Mugzwump

Mugzwump Newb

Dislikes Received:

Just fyi I wear 3 pairs of long underwear, 3 pairs wool socks and my boots are rated to -70 C.

Something hot to drink is good too.. yesterday i had a six-pack and I only got through two before the rest were frozen solid. Ever try defrosting a beer in your pants? lol... Normally you can keep your beer liquid if you hang em down under the ice... I was moving around looking for the fish so they froze up on me.

Mugz.

13. Mugzwump

Mugzwump Newb

Dislikes Received:
  14. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
  15. Dwight Shrute

Dwight Shrute Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    1st: BowBender, thanks for the Fred Bear video. Great find.
    2nd: Thanks to all who posted on this thread. This has been the single most entertaining thing that I have read all day.
    Lastly, just for the record. I am 5'11 250 lbs and have a 36'' waist

16. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:

They may be dedicated but the ones I've seen our really lousy shots. Even Fred Eichler shots seem to be 50/50. He shows them on his show and of course says "that's bow hunting" when he shoot a deer in the back leg at 23yds. :(

I know this is a losing argument with Trad guys but a discourage any new bow hunter from trad bows before they master and get bored of compound bows.

17. Afflicted

Dislikes Received:

Cool video and I like how he brings a target with him because constant practice is a must with instinctual shooting.

Did I tell you I found out last year that my grandmother was best friends with Fred Bears wife? My family is from Michigan and my grandparents from the U.P. And my dad tells me about his mother best friends husband was really into bows hunting and even filmed himself and stuff. My dad said the guys last name was Bear, I said Fred Bear? He said Yeah! Have you heard of him? I said Fred Bear! Yeah, I've heard of him:). No other hunters in my family just a bunch of golfers:(

18. Mugzwump

Mugzwump Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That's pretty amazing footage. Insane but amazing. I wouldn't be out there with a bow that's for sure. He's even got his backup guy there with a rifle... which I think just compounds the fact he shouldn't be out there with a bow. The Inuit had some serious recurves back when, and even they would only hunt bear (out of total necessity) with a large group of hunters and the aid of dogs. One guy with a bow is more than likely just bear bait. Just nuts!

Mugz.

19. Mugzwump

Mugzwump Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been thinking about this all day. The bear scenario is a great example. Unless we are truly dedicated, to the point of survival, the use of a bow is otherwise more than likely going to be poor. I might be upsetting a few folks here but most people, myself absolutely, will probably never reach the point of being an effective hunter with a bow.

Looking into the history of how big game was taken when bows and spears were the weapons of choice... the bow was never meant to be used alone. It's effectiveness was in numbers. Solo hunters would use spears for large game, which was a very dangerous undertaking, but the large points would ensure the kill.

I'm eager to try it, but i'm totally skeptical of whether of not its ethical when we have rifles. I'll have to see first hand. I've trapped, snared, clubbed, strangled and emptied magazines... so I guess this'll work too...

Mugz.

P.S. I'm glad some of you have found this entertaining. I know I have. At this rate if I'm to keep up I'll have to put on a few pounds.

20. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, you're probably right bowhunting should not be in your future. You should also do more research on the history of archery and bowhunting.
    I'm sorry to say that I found this thread more sad than entertaining. Throughout I've tried to maintain a civil intercourse, as hard as it's been.
    This is my last post to this thread.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014