Recurve for deer hunting?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Mugzwump, Jan 22, 2014.

1. VA Bowbender

VA Bowbender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LOL...if we're going there I'll add my background.
    At 16 years old and 165 lbs, 6' tall I started as a butcher's apprentice. I was throwing 250 lb hinds of beef from trucks to meat hooks. 40 years later we don't have hanging meat but still get skids of primal boxes meat up to 100 lbs ea. At 58 years old now and 200 lbs I still out work all these kids that come looking for jobs and are just plain soft and lazy.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

2. recurvestalker

recurvestalker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, definitely.

3. Mugzwump

Mugzwump Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Lol... Getting sucked back in.

I dug out that old recurve from the shed. It's a 35# 60" made by Bear. 2 hours in and I was shooting 3 arrows into a 10" paper plate at 15 yards. Had my on and off moments I'll admit. Plus these arrows are some cheap target things... probably not right for the bow. I'm excited for the Sage. Now that I know the old POS in the shed is a half decent bow (though it really feels like a toy) I'll be able to play with both. One thing I did not account for was the 60" bow hits the ceiling in my house. So all practice will have to take place outside... it's -30 C right now. Guess it'll help out in the long run.

Mugz.

4. shanr

shanr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    5'8" tall 240 lbs. Have used 110 lb chain tongs for 15 years in the well industry. Can max out a 300 lb scale when I squeeze it with my 2 bare hands. Hunt with a 40 lb bow. Strength has nothing to do with proper form and posture when shooting a bow.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

5. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    Another facet we didn't discuss was for every inch pulled past 28" you add 3 lbs.

6. Mugzwump

Mugzwump Newb

Dislikes Received:
    That's nice.

I have my reasons for the 60# bow. I'm not interested in form or posture. I'm a meat hunter. I'm in the Canadian wilderness here... lol around here form and posture is something you reserve for dinner time.
    You can't argue a that a heavier bow doesn't have the ability to inflict more damage. Shot placement, deer - "jumping the string" and all that... it's a variable. Bow weight and arrow size is a variable I can control. A heavier arrow with more cutting edge is more chance the meat comes home. I want to end the hunt asap so I can get to hunting something else.

Wait for it... (arrows don't kill like bullets do...)

That's the way I hunt. I'll go with a .300 Mag head or neck shot over a .223 to the lung any day. A .223 has no place on a deer hunt in my book. But hey... I don't care what you use as long as you don't bring it on my hunts.

Moose, caribou or even bear are always an option out there too. I'll just have to train my butt off with the thing and hopefully I'll feel like it's a viable option for the hunt come fall.

Geez I'm killing time here. I'm off to go see about pluggin' some hares with that old bow. (got my pal here with a 12 gauge as backup :lol:)

Thanks for all the encouragement folks. You're all strung pretty tight... but so we all are in our own ways.

Mugz.

7. b_walte15

b_walte15 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What they are trying to say is that if you have/ develop bad form you will never be able to hit the broadside of a barn. Your loss bud..

8. huntandbushcraft

huntandbushcraft Newb

Dislikes Received:

Not interested in form or posture? Yet you claim you want to drop a deer dead where it stands. Truth is bud, a deer will not drop where it stands when you shoot it in the leg.... or any other non vital area. Ill take a well placed shot with a 40-45lb bow over a shot in the dark with a 60lb bow. You claim to be ethical....listen to yourself.

9. Mugzwump

Mugzwump Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No claims pal.. just said I'd rather it go that way than not. Read the whole text. Said I'd have to train my butt off. Said if it ain't gonna work then I'll not take it out hunting. My neighbor shot a friggin' POLAR BEAR last winter ( rifle)

All my buddies, and the guy at the hunting shop suggested at least a 55-60# compound bow. I like the recurves. Lol... Sorry to have to say again and again and again....

I'm not interested in a light bow for hunting.

Maybe if I lived in a place where very big and very dangerous animals don't come around... sure man.. out here I carry my hunting rifle and strapped to my side is a cut down 12 gauge pump. It ain't just for looks. I have my reasons pal.

Thanks for the ethics lesson.

Mugz.

10. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    Fred Eichler completed the North American Super Slam using a 54# Palmer recurve.

11. Mugzwump

Mugzwump Newb

Dislikes Received:

I checked him out on youtube. Guys been around.

I'm not a huge fan of trophy hunting to be honest. I rarely ever even take photos of my hunts. I don't like filming the dead if you could get that. I was just brought up that way, I'm not knocking anyone here.

I was out back shooting that 35# again this evening. No rabbits today.
    I don't feel like I'm getting a lot of velocity with it. I'm shooting a cardboard box out on the ice. The box flips around a bunch but the arrow gets stuck in it. I would think the arrow should go right through both sides? I'm getting a lot of contact on the shelf too, some shots the arrow flicks way out before straitening out. My buddies compound barely moves the box... just slips through and into the shed wall. I can hit the 10" plate more often than not, but when the arrow flicks out its off by about a foot. The arrows are plastic flecthed. I was thinking feathers might work better. Oh and I put on new 100 gr. target points. 31" carbon fibre arrows, 4560's. Too overspined?

Mugz.

12. Fadly

Fadly Newb

Dislikes Received:
    There's only one way to kill a buck instantly with one arrow; Use explosive arrow head. Else, you need to aim for a spine shot. It'll not kill the buck instantly, but it'll prevent the buck from running away. There's also many cases where a hunter reported that their arrow pass through a deer, but the deer seem's to be oblivious to it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  13. huntandbushcraft

huntandbushcraft Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yup your right on Mugz, you have to get feathers if your going to shoot right off the shelf..the plastic vanes are not forgiving enough. You can look into a rest for a recurve if you dont want to switch to feathers. one reason the arrows may not penetrate all the way through is becuase the arrow isnt flying straight and more at an angle, feathers would help your arrow from tailing.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  14. Mugzwump

Mugzwump Newb

Dislikes Received:

Dang... we'll maybe I'll cut up some goose feathers and have a go at it. Really not into buying anything for this old bow. Would feather type make much difference? I have geese, ducks and grouse frozen in my freezer. I'm not into plucking a bunch at once unless the women help out.. lol.. so I gut them and freeze them like that, deal with them one on one. :)

thx.

Mugz.

15. Mugzwump

Mugzwump Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The old guys around here will tell stories about how they used to hunt back in the day. Many hunters would shoot many arrows for one moose or caribou, they'd finish them with a spear. They say with snowshoes a hunter could chase a moose through the snow.

I don't think anyone is killing deer or much of anything instantly with a bow. Maybe a few lucky shots out there. I guess it's the same as guys who kill moose with a 22 rimfire. It's been done but not likely to work out.

16. huntandbushcraft

huntandbushcraft Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Mugz, thats something VA could answer I wouldnt have a clue as to which arrows perform better.

17. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    Goose feathers work very well, I have used them myself. Look on YouTube to see how to split and tie or glue them on. If you glue them you'll need a jig.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk
    Bows, Broadheads and Backstraps

18. Mugzwump

Mugzwump Newb

Dislikes Received:

19. Perentie

Perentie Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, I have not bought my first bow yet. However, I have been doing extensive research on everything from bow's, releases, hunting laws, form, target panic, watching professional archers shoot. I have watched literally hundreds of hours of target archers shoot.

Few things I have learned.
    1. Form is everything. After watching literally hundreds of hours of different archers both recurve and compound I can now tell with 90% certainty whether a shot an archer makes is going to hit the bullseye or not. These archers are at World Cup level. ANY small deviation from proper form drastically alters their shot. Unsteady hold, improper anchor point, target panic, and excitement/nerves. This is NOT a sport like shooting with a gun. Things that you can get away with when using a gun, one cannot get away with while using a bow.
    2. Listen to those with experience. Hell this goes for anything in life. Mugz, your responses have been arrogant and condescending to those who literally have years and years of experience. There are reasons for everything they say, and usually pretty damned good ones.
    3. The one thing that I keep seeing come up again and again especially for hunting with a bow is what is commonly called 'Buck Fever', which results in target panic, and exacerbates all flaws in ones shooting. Advice of people with experience helps to defeat this issue.

In all, I see a mentality, that is going to get you and your prey seriously hurt, and quite possibly needlessly suffer. I hope you can see the wisdom that has been attempted to be imparted to you by these nice folks who have tried to give sage advice. So that your experience will be pleasurable and not frustrating.

20. VA Bowbender

Dislikes Received:
    Perentie,
    I can only hope that when he gets his bow and has trouble shooting that he comes back, mans-up and admits we were right and he was wrong.