Reconyx RC60... 1 month later

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Buck Magnet, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Buck Magnet

Buck Magnet Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I have had my Reconyx RC60 out for a little over a month now and figured that I would give an update on how it has performed.

First, the weather over the past month has been about as harsh as it is going to get for SW Pennsylvania. Temps have been colder than normal with the lowest registering at 18 below without the windchill. We have also had snow, freezing rain, and rain as well. The camera has withstood the elements and it is still performing perfectly.

Battery Life
    I know that this is a major concern for most people who are in the market for a camera and to say I am impressed is an understatement. With standard Alkaline batteries, this unit took over 9,000 photos. The battery life dropped down to 14% on the colder days, but the temps warmed up into the low 50's today and the battery life is back to 58%. I had plans to change the batteries out a week ago but kept the same ones in just to see how many pics I could get. I will keep updating on this until the batteries finally crap out.

A few other things that I have noticed is that the 1 picture per second in RapidFire mode is a little bit of a stretch. I have got several series of photos taken every second, but for the most part they are every 2-3 seconds apart. This could have been caused by the cold temps, I will also update on this as spring approaches and the temps rise.

Flash range has been improved with the new firmware updates.

1080HD photo setting is nice for viewing on a 1080 HDTV but a waste for standard viewing on a computer.

The covert flash really doesn't spook animals. I have roughly 700 photos of the same buck this past week. When he ventured in at night he never looked at the camera but during the day he noticed the camera on the tree and was curious about it.

Night photo quality isn't amazing but good enough, daytime photo quality rivals Cuddebacks with the exception of color saturation (Cuddebacks are designed to over saturate the color to make the pictures more vibrant than what they truly are)

So far, I couldn't be more pleased about this unit and it really has brought back my faith in using game cameras. This unit doesn't have any major flaw and it performs up to its pricetag.

Here are some new photos..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bols

Bols Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    9000 + pictures is pretty amazing to say the least.

From someone who hasn't had much luck in the game cam department in the past, I am happy to see this unit is working well for you. If I had a piece of ground I was confident I could put a camera out and not worry about it disappearing, a Reconyx would be one camera I would seriously consider.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very cool! Good to hear its performing well and easy on the batteries. Thanks for the update!

4. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great review Buck!! One thing that I've learned though that you'll soon find out for yourself Is that your temps have nothing to do with your camera not triggering the way It's advertised at every second In RapidFire mode. The reason Is mostly In the flash card. Flash cards have ratings and some are quicker then others. The rating you want to look at Is the "write speed" of your flash card. The faster It "writes" the quicker It's ready for another picture. My 2GB Lexar CF cards were much quicker then the 2GB SanDisk CF cards that I had previously used. Most pictures with my Lexar were one second apart with an occasional one being 2 seconds. I also had some that took 2 pics per second with the Lexar CF card. The SanDisk was usually 2 seconds between pictures and sometimes 3 seconds. Never did It take 2 pics In a second. Over all I like my camera but I'm not as satisfied with the night pics as I was hoping to be. I downloaded the update on mine and haven't used It since. I probably won't use it again till mid summer so maybe the night pics will be a bit better after this update.

5. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Im also curious about the night shots, could you post some up?

6. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Nice review. It's good to see these might just hold up the worth that the higher price tag attached to them implies. I would like to see one of these out side by side with a homebrew. Obviously trigger time, battery life, and picture quality could be the only comparison (no 1080HD support on homebrews, nor many of the various video/photo timing options).

7. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    9,000 photots, and all we get is this? Any other animals? No mysterious animals? A chupacabra, a coyotye being eaten by a deer? Nothing? I'm bummed.

8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    He didn't even throw in the bobcat/yearling deer photo:busted: :d

9. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    See, now that's just hurtful. I want to see some action!

10. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice review. It's been three years on my old beat up Moultries. It's time to upgrade soon and after reading this I may stray from moultrie and pony up a few more bucks.:deer:

11. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking to buy my first digital. Thanks for the review BM.

12. Buck Magnet

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys, I can't say enough about this unit, it is night and day from any of the previous game cameras that I have used.

I actually deleted all of the night pictures from my memory card, nothing but the same deer I had during the day anyways. I just set the unit out again today in a field that a big flock of turkey have been using so hopefully I can get some good pics. While setting it up I noticed coyote tracks along the field edge which would be cool if I could get some more coyote pics. (I also found the 3 legged coyote that I captured pictures of, I am not sure how long he held on after I got pictures but he didn't make it)

Rob, one thing that I really love about this unit is that it has one of the best locking systems out there. I purchased a Python cable lock and there are holes built into the handles of the camera that the cable slides through and locks around the tree. This also makes it impossible for anybody to remove the front cover. Todd posted a review that I wrote up on www.trailcameras.com

13. Jim1966

Jim1966 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice lookin pics.

14. hunter6742

hunter6742 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice pics!!

15. Arkansas Bowhunter

Arkansas Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Antoine river Bottoms, Clark County, Arkansas
    I have had the Reconyx cameras for about a year an a half now. I have the RC-55 camera an the RM-45 camera. The RC-55 is good for a picture every 1 to 2 seconds. The RM-45 will take sometimes 2 photos a second. I have seen as many as 5 photos in 3 seconds out of the RM-45. They are great cameras in MHO.

RC-55 night time photo.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. DoePeeSteve

DoePeeSteve Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't believe that one bit. :smash: You're going to buy another bow and 100,000 more treestands for next season. Let me know when you plan on working on the lot by the house. I may have to start making trips out to help your lazy butt.

17. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    These cameras are awesome units no doubt. Congrats with yours...definitely one of, if not the best unit on the market currently.

Amazing the battery life some of these units offer isn't it? I am lucky to get 1 week out of my wildview on 4 c batteries, LOL.

18. Buck Magnet

Dislikes Received:
    I hear ya Trevor, its amazing to see where the digital game cams have come from, I remember when I purchased the original Stealth Cam digital. That camera had ATLEAST a 20 second trigger speed, the photos all had a green hue to them, and I was lucky to get 4 days of battery life. I purchased the solar panel and that bumped my battery life up to about a week and a half.

The Reconyx finally dropped down under 5% last week and the night pics were getting very dark so I brought the unit in. I am gonna give it about a month and then set it up on some of the fields that turkeys are known for strutting in.

19. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    looks like it takes great photos. Man 9000 :hail: ,,,I dont think i even have that total in 5 years of cams :cry: I get around 15 pics everytime i check the cam.