Recommendations for now hunting equipment

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Cameron DeMiguel, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Cameron DeMiguel

Cameron DeMiguel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am either getting a matthew s halo n 32 or Hoyt hyperforce. I am new to bow huntin. Can you guys please give me equipment recommendations for arrow rest, releases, stabilizers, sights, arrows, broadheads, etc. Any and all equipment info and reviews would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of stuff in archery ultimately is up to personal preference but here is what I like.

Arrow Rest : HHA Virtus or QAD Ultrarest HDX
    Stabilizers: Bee Stinger
    Arrows: Lots of good ones Black Eagle, Easton, GoldTip just check since charts to make sure your spine is correct for your setup
    Broadheads: NAP Thunderhead Nitro, WASP Drone, QAD Exodus
    Release: Scott Exxus
    Sight: HHA KingPin with 3 pin housing/HHA Optimizer/ Spot Hogg Fast Eddie

Hope this helps but you are going to get a lot of different answers. Ultimately just have to find what fits in your budget and what you like.

Blarney22 and Cameron DeMiguel like this.
  3. doublea17

doublea17 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Arrow rest: Qad or Vapor trail Pro V
    Stab: Bee stinger
    Arrows: Black Eagle Rampage or Gold tip XT
    BH: Wasp Drone
    Release: Spot Hogg wise guy
    Sight: Black Gold Single pin/Spot Hogg

4. Cameron DeMiguel

Cameron DeMiguel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Do you guys prefer wrist or hand style releases? And should I hunt with 100 or 125 grain arrowheads

5. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lots of info is dependent on you. Your draw length and pull weight will determine broad head options and arrow size. Then build an arrow with the correct FOC that will help you decide the 100/125 question. IMHO you can not have to much FOC but you can have a heavy arrow. Your looking for the sweet spot as heavy as needed as fast as you can get for the given setup.The wrist or hand release is personal preference and so are most of the other accessories. A good read is arrow school at Hunters Freind

Cameron DeMiguel likes this.
  6. Cameron DeMiguel

Cameron DeMiguel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My draw length is 29 inches and draw weight is 70 pounds.

7. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Qad rest and broadheads are my strongest recommendations! Youll have to get a feel for the release, I like tru ball and tru fire. Sights I like the IQ but theres plenty of good ones

8. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As has been said, most of this comes down to personal preference. I have both QAD's and Trophy Taker Smackdown's for rests on my bows. I have had great success with Easton arrows, both Nano's and ACC's are my favorites. Sights, I prefer a 5 pin fixed sight with .019 pins. As to a release, I have shot a lot of different releases but I always come back to a Carter Quickie. Good luck and enjoy.

9. Cameron DeMiguel

Cameron DeMiguel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How do I find out what grain arrow/broad head I need. What is FOC and IMHO. Pretty new to all of this so any info would really help

10. Cameron DeMiguel

Cameron DeMiguel Newb

Dislikes Received:

Is there any moveable pin sights that have a couple fixed pins for close shots that you don't have time to adjust the yardage? And are there any other sights you would recommend that are a little lower on the price range between $200-300$

11. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Front Of Center - In My Humble Opinion
    Most all arrow manufacturers have charts that show best arrow spine based on draw length/arrow length with draw weight.

12. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Cameron
    70 lbs will put you in the 6 grain per lbs range this is a guide not an absolute so that is a 420 grain arrow. I am at 28 inch draw at 70lbs and shoot a Easton Hexx 50 grain insert and a 100 grain broad head. I end up with a 420 grain arrow with a foc around 13. At your draw length and lbs you can shoot any type broadhead you like. I use NAP spitfire or Kill Zone. Another good read is at QDMA regarding arrow speed without considering mass. If you read the two arrow related articles (hunters Freind and QDMA) you will have a good base to start buying more stuff :nana:

13. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First of all, what is your main game animal? I build a lighter arrow for Deer than for elk. Starting out, I’d go with a good all carbon arrow. I prefer CE Maxima Reds. As posted, get your arrow built then paper tune with different weight points. That will tell you what broadhead weight to go with.
    A buckle wrist release will give you more control. Sight, don’t need to go too fancy. Go with something solid. My choice is Spott Hogg.
    Don’t get caught up in all the hype and flash. Keep it simple to start. You have plenty of time to blow money. Don’t overthink or stress over your equipment at this point.
    I owned a shop for 12 years and saw new guys waste money on too much “junk” and get overwhelmed then quite.

14. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty solid advice all round already.

I agree with buckle release, gives a consistent size.

As for sights, I'm a huge fan of the Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL.

15. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not to be a a$$ here but if you are new to hunting then I feel the best thing you can do is use a vertical pin and site that thing in at 25 yards. You should mark said distance from each stand and not shoot outside of it. Newer hunters (and I few more seasoned vets) take shots outside of safe and smart distance.... I'll get bashed on here I know but I don't think you(anyone) should be throwing arrows at 50+ yards. And ranging and adapting takes practice... Fast eddy is awesome and I agree with WillO but maybe not for a noob. I also think attempting to video in your first year is equally silly. Get confident killing accurately quickly and without issue and then Mod up.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018