rebuilt the backyard range. no pic (yet)

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by johnstonab, Jun 17, 2013.

1. johnstonab

johnstonab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This weekend we FINALLY rebuilt the range. Our range consisted of a 3-d deer, 3-d bear, block and 9 bails of straw for a backstop. The bear has had it vitals "replaced" 2 times now. Modified deer vital block and expanding foam, works great. The deer on the other hand was falling apart bad. Suprised it held up as long as it did. The Straw was put up 2 years ago, it was wet and falling apart.

We tore the straw down and hauled the deer up to the trash can. Paid a visit to the local farmer who had just cut and bailed straw and picked up 11 bails, one of the 9 was actually still dry. And yes we paid him for the bails, not just drive out in the field and take them. We moved our range another 10 yards into the tree line to give enough room to shoot from the stand (not up yet). Loaded the bails on the wagon and gave the kiddos a "hay" ride around the yard. With the straw stacked and covered with an old carpet, we needed something to shoot at. The bear moved down to the new spot. Headed to gander Mountain and picked up two deer tagets this time, a delta riverbottom and a McKenzy intruder. All is set up and looks good. had to load pics using my phone, they are belowe.

and... we used the metal pegs from the old deer and put them in the gound where we can make the little on on the right quart to and the big one on the left quarter away. (we did this after the pics were taken)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  2. johnstonab

Dislikes Received:
    Forgot I could add them from my phone. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371482326.772077.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371482362.382276.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371482391.824375.jpg
    He loves the bear.

Alex
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. REMYNGTON

REMYNGTON Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like a great backyard range man.

4. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    awesome range dude. i only have one 3d target :sad:

5. johnstonab

Dislikes Received:
    in all fairness, there are 4 of us that shoot regularly. My 6 & 7 year old boys, my dad and I. one target for four people aint much and doesn't last long. next is to put a ladder stand up, about 23 yard shots standing on a 15' high platform.

6. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    thats a good average shot distance for whitetail hunting

7. Just Passin thru

Just Passin thru Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looking good- I wish I had a place like that to shoot! Though it does look like that bear has seen better days :tu:

8. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    definitely

9. johnstonab

Dislikes Received:
    yes it has. we saved it from going to the dump from our 3D range at our isakk walton chapter, put a vital block into it and foamed it in. Mom said we can't get rid of it now, she has grown attached to "her" bear. pretty funny when she is deathly afraid of bears.

10. maxpetros

Dislikes Received:
    man now i really want to set up a range

11. Just Passin thru

Dislikes Received:
    Oh thats cool, did they give it to you for free because they were throwing it out?

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

12. johnstonab

Dislikes Received:
    yuppers, and we have gotten two plus years outta it

13. Just Passin thru

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome! I'm going to have to keep an eye on my local range :tu:

14. Pearce92

Pearce92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    this is pretty cool i was looking for foam to use and make a big back stop like you did with the srtraw to put in my dads new machine shed 60x100, insolated and heated but i would hate to jerk wrong one time and miss and send a gold tip into his nice new building. but i cant find anything

15. Rich71

Rich71 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks great. Too many houses around me to set up a range. I got permission to use the baseball field on the edge of town when no one is playing ball. Takes some of the fun out of shooting when you have to drag everything out every time you shoot. Still worth it though.

16. johnstonab

Dislikes Received:
    they do make foam backstops, we use them at the IWLA range. I can't remember the brand but they work.

Not even a jerk to the side, the other day on my second string of firing, we just moved back to thirty yards, I released the arrow and heard the pop/crack (always a scary sound when shooting) and the arrow was not going the way I told it to. Come to find out the nock was broken. Our guess... on the first string I hit two close together, well ok, I heard them hit each other. I alsways flex my arrows when I pull them and listen for any cracks and pops, all was well. I DID NOT check the nock closely, it locked on the string like normal but I guess the force of the string was enough to break it.