Realistic expectations?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by vectrix27, Oct 24, 2011.

1. vectrix27

vectrix27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am headed to public land in Illinois(rend lake) from November 5-12. First of all, should I be hitting the rut? Secondly, I have never hunted anywhere but Alabama and a 115" buck is a pretty good one here. What can i realistically expect to shoot in yalls opinion. Should I let 115's walk or what? My biggest buck ever is a 132. I know this is a broad question, and I will definitely shoot what makes me happy, but I dont want to stick a 115 the first day and then see a bunch of 130+ while doe hunting. What do yall think? What walks and what dont?

2. hillrunner

hillrunner Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I cannot give you any advice on the public ground in Illinois but your timing is perfect. Just cross your fingers that you don't hit a warm front. Good luck!

3. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Your timing is good, especially the last half of it. Veterans day always seems like a great day in the whitetail woods. Seemed like in my areas last year, the rut really kicked in around 11/11-11/18.

Now I can't speak for Rend Lake, but I can't imagine that you'll see 130s everywhere. Being that it's public, and probably pressured, I'd guess you'd be lucky to see a 130. That being said, there are monsters killed on public every year.

You can probably expect to see a few 115-120s, being that is a 2.5 year old deer (in most places in IL anyways...).

If I were you I'd hunt the first few days hard for a 130+, but then if a 120-125 came through at any point in time, I'd probably let the air out of his lungs... Just because it's public.

4. cubs204

cubs204 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've hunted a lot of public land in Illinois, never Rend Lake, though. From my experience you will see numerous 1.5 year old 60-80 inch deer and a few 2.5 year old 110-125" bucks. Having said that, I still have a spot on public land I hit every year for the rut even though I have private ground to hunt. Over the past 3 years i have seen 2 130" +, a 140" and something in the range of 150-160" (that I missed at 25 yds:jaw:) Each piece of public land I hunt is different though. I would not expect to see a "bunch" of 130" deer running around, but the potential is there. I would not "expect" to see a 140"+ but again, the potential is definitely there. If I could give 1 suggestion for hunting Illinois public land it would be to walk, walk, walk. Get as far away from the parking spots as you can and as close to the bedding areas as you can, and at those dates sit all day.

5. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted the Rend Lake area a couple years ago, didn't see that many deer. But did see a nice 160 class buck no shoot thou. Hard to hear deer when you hunt so close to a freeway. There are some big bucks down there. My brothers heading down there next week lucky sob, I'll be here at work :(

6. PrimePorkchop

PrimePorkchop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rend Lake is a really nice place, but as with all public land, it just seems to be over populated with loud and obnoxious "hunters". At least from my experience there.

We have nice deer here in Illinois though, so im sure you'll see some big'uns...

If you ever get the chance, though, try to get into Shawnee National Forest

I love that place!

7. BigSarge1974

BigSarge1974 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I live and hunt in Illinois and have hunted public land for quite awhile. I would imagine that you will see a fair amount of good deer. I would definitely let the 115 class walk on your first couple of days as I am pretty sure if you do a little research before you will see some good shooter bucks. However, if it trips your trigger then let'er fly! Also you will be fairly close to some other southern Illinois state ground as well that could be productive.

As far as the rut, you may be a little early but I am pretty sure that you will see some activity. Chasing, scrape making n checking as well as rubbing will be in the beginning here shortly.

Good Luck!!!

8. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I read somewhere that if you had to pick a day to deer hunt this year then pick November 12th and sit all day. I'll be in Memphis that weekend, but I'll be using those Vacation days prior.

9. jeepinxj

jeepinxj Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt alot of northern il public land and have yet to kill a buck. A friend of mine got a 138" last yr so they are there. Best suggestion is to walk far into the woods where the old guys won't go. Haha just messing but seriously less pressure areas are what I look for. Good luck I have Thursday to Thursday off so hope to see some deer!!

10. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm about 25 minutes north of Rend Lake. I'd say 120's would be a good buck for that area. There is a public spot near Mt Vernon the locals call the game farm. I hunted it a few times many years ago and saw tons of deer. Might want to look into that as well. Good luck!

11. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully, you'll be able to tag a biggen, but next year you should really consider moving a little farther north of Rend Lake if you looking for a big buck. everyone one and their grandmother hunt deer around these southern counties; fortunitly, they mostly shot gun hunt. A lot of people do deer drives down here, and they live by a strong code "if it brown its down". they shoot anything that resembles a deer. meaning most bucks don't get the op to grow big. it's illegal to drive deer on public land, and the GW's are thick around Rend Lake, so there you will have the best chance. Good luck to you and keep us all posted on your visit.

12. vectrix27

vectrix27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input guys. Regardless of what I see and/or kill, it sure will be nice to be off work for 9 days. Even if I dont see any bigguns, its nice to know I have the chance to see one. I still got a week before I leave but I will let yall know how it turns out.