Real life experience question.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have always wondered about campfire smoke on your clothes and body affecting deer, elk, mule deer etc..I wondered how these guys that hunt for days or weeks in the back country that use fire daily were affected by this. Does the smell of smoke bother the animals? Anyone have firsthand knowledge?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used to smoke my clothes, never seemed to bother a deer. I worked wild land fire for 20 years and a new burn scar seems to attract the deer. I also would wear the same nome shirt for a whole 2 week detail. Sweating like a fat kid for 16 hours a day you would think that the shirt would reek of BO. Nope not the case at all just smelled smokey, then again every thing smells like smoke.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  3. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    well everything I hunt is timber company and they burn every year, so I was wondering if I took my son and camped for the night and used a fire would it cause concern for us the next morning in the woods...I know they the native americans used to use it as cover scent, but there have not been natives in these parts since the late 1600's!

dprsdhunter likes this.
  4. mikey custom-g

mikey custom-g Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would tend to think in areas where wood fires are all around there’d be no issue.

In areas such as mine, where’s it’s normally 95 degrees, has no need for a wood fire. Therefore a deer smells smoke, it smells something rare and will run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used to smoke my stuff and I may do it again, we have tobacco barns so I believe that helps make smoke a natural scent. A few years ago I had 4 doe come right from where the wind was blowing and they never alerted. Does it work? Sure, I suppose so.

6. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with mikey, if smoke isn't a rare smell then it'll be fine. If it isn't common, then it will alarm them.
    If people camp around there through the summer and have campfires, or loggers burn slash piles, or prescribed burns are done, then you should be good to go.

7. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    they do timber burns every year