Rattling antlers do they work ?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Deercrazy21, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Deercrazy21

Deercrazy21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been thinking about buying some rattling antlers for the rut in case I see a big one just out of range. What is your opinion on rattling and have u had any luck with it ?

2. Polecatmasten

Polecatmasten Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They are like any call.. They don't always work, but they do sometimes.
    Watch some how to videos about when and where, you will be ahead of the game.
    I've used about every kind made, I prefer a bigger set of real antlers. I believe the big horns make a difference. Good luck and remember ..BE READY, it happens quick sometimes )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Rattling is something I feel needs to be done during the right time of year. I feel like it is most effective when there are no deer in sight during rut. I plan on rattling and calling quite a bit this year due to having majority bucks on my game cam. Practice with it and dont be afraid to smash them antlers together. I carry the BlackRack from Illusion because I like how they feel in my hand and also like how its black compared to shinny white tines of real antlers.

4. LittleJohn

LittleJohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My experience is that rattling works best during pre-rut and it works, primarily, on 2 year olds. I've seen it work for the big boys on TV, but never for me. I only grunt during the rut.

5. Bronson

Bronson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And above all else...never rattle blind. Make sure you take the time to glass the ENTIRE area around you prior to rattling. I have spooked bucks that were close because I didn't glass well enough. First sequence go lightly!

6. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It surely does work but it's a timing thing.

7. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The best success I've had with them is just light rattling not real loud but I'm not "tickling" the horns either. I've only called in younger bucks rattling, and they come in on a charge.

8. JakeD

JakeD Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It absolutely works. Like others have said, it needs to be the right time of year and right situation for it to work. Don't try to set up and rattle a buck to a place that no buck would ever go to in daylight hours.

9. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Whatever you do dont get a rattle bag....those things SUCK!!!!!! Sounds nothing like sparring and antlers hitting. I scared away a buck who was about 80 yards away...

10. CJCullen

CJCullen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Called in this biggest buck of my life with his sheds from the previous year amazing experience and all I did was give him a hair cut off his belly.:cry: but like mentioned above right time and situations they can be AWESOME>

11. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's way cool! His own sheds almost killed him. That's crazy but way cool!!

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    During the late pre-rut when the bucks are really fighting for territory, they will respond. There is nothing cooler than a buck crashing in with the hair standing up on his back because he is ready to kick the **** out of that other buck in his territory. It can create some of the coolest situations out there. Same think with a decoy and grunting, but like others have said. Time and place are extremely important.

13. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, I harvested my two biggest bucks, and a couple of smaller one's minutes after performing my masterpieces "Ode to the mighty Booner". Coincidence, I think not. With that said, I've also been in many more situations where the buck simply walked away, or never showed up. I truly believe in the power of a good rattling melody, but it doesn't always work in your favor.

14. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I rattled in two for my nephew last year. The day before firearms season started we were in stands about 150-200 yards apart. It was the middle of the afternoon when I rattled and he texted me, “Fight, fight, do you hear that?” I laughed and texted back that it was me. About a minute later he spooked a 10 pointer when he tried to draw on him. The deer was trying to get down wind of me and crossed about 25 yards to the left of his stand. The next morning (opening day firearms) we were in the same two stands. An hour and a half or so after daylight I rattled and an 8 point stood up about 50-60 yards from my nephew. Again, the deer started working towards my downwind side. My nephew took him out with his rifle. Fun stuff!

15. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have rattled in lots of deer, it CAN work at anytime the deer are hard boned as they will spar and fight from the time the velvet sheds till they drop the bone. Hell I watched a field full of 2.5 and 3.5 yr olds fight all last evening. HOWEVER there is no doubt that pre-rut has proven to be the most effective time for me personally. That being said I have rattled as early as Sept and late as Christmas. Certainly isn't foolproof but when it works, ITS FUN!

16. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ive had it work perfectly, mostly on curious 2 year olds though.

I rattled in my girlfriends buck on video last year that she killed. He was scent checking a CRP field and a little horn tickle brought him into range looking around.

17. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Rattling works well during the seeking and chasing part of the rut. Otherwise, I prefer an vocal deer call.

18. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes but timing is everything. I rattle in a couple bucks every year.