Range finders..?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by ath1089, Jan 17, 2016.

1. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Bruton 440 that I bought cheap about 10 years ago. Finally on my second battery. I think it's a rebadged Nikon 440.

It reads 20 yards at 18 yds / 22 yds equals 20 yds.

23 yds - 60 yds according to the tape it's spot on to the yard. Never had a moments problem in fog/mist/rain and never saw a need to upgrade my cheap rf'er until I got into 3D. Black targets give it the shakes.

It's also spot on with the 150, 200 and 300 yd gongs at the gun club.

2. tree_ghost

tree_ghost Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Vortex Ranger is what I currently use and the best I've had yet. I really like the size of the unit and the red display is a huge advantage in low light!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

PyroTekRob and kenny10177 like this.
  3. Bow Diddley

Bow Diddley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bushnell Scout 1000 DX. I'm diggin' it so far.

4. kenny10177

kenny10177 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I definitely suggest doing some research on the different features before your purchase. The first one I got was a Bushnell bone collector. It worked well in the day but was hard to see in low light and did not have angle compensation. I spent more money and went with a Vortex rangefinder that has a red display for low light situations and also has angle compensation as well as a lifetime warranty. I am very pleased with vortex' s customer servicd.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Nikon Aculon and I am very happy with it. It's small, light and reads out yardage fast.

6. alaska at heart

alaska at heart Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shot and hunted trad for 30+ years and shunned the idea of a rangefinder as "hi tech" foolishness. However when my shoulders prompted me to return to a compound, I shot for a while and decided that a rangefinder in the woods might be a good idea to at least test. I bought a used Bushnell from the AT classifieds that seemed to work pretty decent, althought I honestly didn't use it too much the first couple seasons. When I upgraded to a Prime Centroid and began shooting faster arrows, I also began to shoot longer distances and used the rangefinder to verify my distances. At that point I had saved some money and decided to invest in a good rangefinder.....which I had narrowed down to a Leupold XR750. About the time I was shopping, the 750 was discontinued for an upgraded 800 model, so I found it on sale at Cabela's and have been using it for at least 4 years. The features and quality were well worth the investment and it has been operating on the original batteries this whole time. If I was shopping now, I would take a good look at the Sig rangefinders as well. Buy the best you can afford and they rarely let you down.

7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sig Kilo 2000 is by far the best range finder for the money.
    I've used a lot of different brands over the years and this one is head and tails above the rest.

trial153 likes this.
  8. Jaberry

Jaberry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I second SullyMitch on the bushnell truth with arc. Low cost but has done me well so far. Only used it a handful of times so far at the range. Been dead on so far with no issues and they are nice a compact in size.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

9. PyroTekRob

PyroTekRob Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Most of these listed are not, as far as I know. Vortex just released a Bino with rangefinder built in. Available late summer

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-fury-10x42-binocular

What color is the read out on the Nikon Prostaff 7i?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk