Rain Gear / Sitka Users

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by mhouck06, Aug 25, 2019.

1. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking for people with specific experience with the thunderhead series or the couldburst series.

The thunderhead seems like the logical purchase because it seems as if it can be worn at all times with relative comfort. The ratings for quietness are reasonable and in general it seems like its meant to be worn more than just in the rain, especially since the pack-ability is not rated very high. To me the downfall is that the thunderhead has a performance cut meaning it is designed for minimal layering. I was able to try on a thunderhead jacket and the sleeves were tight around the forearm.. nice for bow hunting but definitely no giving much room for layering..

That took me to the cloudburst series.. Right off the bat they give it an N/A rating for quietness and 4/5 for pack-ability. The cloudburst is cut with a "standard" fit, which allows for moderate layering. To me the cloudburst is strictly meant for rain/snow events.

Knowing this, the thunderhead still seems like the more economical/reasonable decision because it can be used for multiple occasions, not just rain.. Both options are outfitted with goretex and get 5/5 for water protection. So at this point I am asking for first hand experience with field use of these products.. I'm sure even someone with stormfront series experience could be able to give an opinion also... I guess I am looking to make sure I don't make a mistake purchasing the thunderhead series..

Another scenario I thought about is thunderhead pants with cloudburst jacket to give me room for more layering up top.

Looking at 35 degree average low to 65 degree average high temps.

2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are you treestand hunting or more on the move and spot and stalk?

If your stand hunting, try the downpour jacket from Sitka . It's made for whitetail hunting. Hands down the best rain jacket I have ever used. It's not a insulation layer, just a rain protection. It layers well over your other hunting clothes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TheHardWoods913 and mhouck06 like this.
  3. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your quick response and input!
    The reason I am buying this is for a spot and stalk elk/mule deer hunt but I would also add it to my arsenal for treestand hunting.

4. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The brushed face on the thunderhead will pick up water and get heavy. It's a soild choice if you can dry it out daily. I woudlnt use is a hard shell. The cloudburst is bonafide hard three layer gortex shell and will do everything raingear is needed for.

Holt and mhouck06 like this.
  5. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kind of a late response, but I’ve had the Thunderhead jacket for 2+ years now. Bought it at the P&Y Convention at STL. The guys recommended that I get the XL, even though I normally wear L in Sitka jackets. It turned out to be good advice. It’s just a tad big with a long sleeve t shirt on, but perfect to layer under. Best rain jacket I’ve ever owned. I don’t notice it picking up water and getting heavier. It’s quiet and very comfortable to shoot my bow in. It’s always in my pack out west and in the truck around home in case it’s needed.