Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Rage Trypan Test

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhuntr64, Aug 18, 2022.

1. Bowhuntr64

Bowhuntr64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Check out my new test of these popular heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have no faith in mechanical BH’s and have not shot them in 15 years. Your video was surprising of how bad these heads are. I’m Kind of shocked really. Always enjoy your testing videos.

3. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :lmao2::lmao2: ......... what a crappy head ....... hell, I wouldnt trust it on a groundhog ...

4. BowMayhem413

BowMayhem413 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Switched to Fixed after using mechanical for a few years and glad I did.

5. Bowhuntr64

Dislikes Received:
    Well, how this mech did has little to do with mechs in general. I’ve tested some mechs that hold up much better than many fixed blade heads—like the Sevr.

6. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    not all mech's are the same .. hell, I use to shoot my Steelheads thru a 55 gallon drum to prove how strong they were, another tried his Muzzy 3 blade, his lost a blade, the Steelheads went thru both sides and were fine ... I'll trust the Grim Reaper 1 3/8's over a Rage .... as I said there are somethings in life that are for sure's ... I'll never shoot a Rage, I'll never own a Mathews or a Dodge and I'll never get Monkeypox .... but I will kill deer with the GR 1 3/8's/Exodus and Wicked Tricks ....

look at the review of the Grim Reapers that he did, they were one of the better Mech's out there ...

7. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am actually quite shocked by this. I have taken 6-8 deer with these heads, all but one was a pass through and the pass throughs were buried in the ground on the other side of the deer. None had broken blades, but most had bent blades from being stuffed into the dirt and rock. All deer had huge holes and were dead within 100 yards.

8. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I understand that. I was just saying for me personally I don’t have faith in mechanicals over fixed. But your test on that particular head was shocking to say the least.
    Still love the square hole from the Tota the best:biggrin:

9. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder if John is absolutely certain someone didn’t send him some Chinese knockoffs.

I’ve never shot a Rage head of any kind, but I find it hard to believe FeraDyne would put out a head where the blades break in soft cardboard. Even he said he had never seen that before.

10. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    he said over on AT he purchased those himself I believe, in Rage Packaging ... I guess those are a discontinued model (hmmm, wonder why)

LittleChief likes this.
  11. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting.... Rage updated that head slighly, I think it was last year, to a No Collar version. Nothing about the head, especially the blades, had changed from the original to the no collar version. The no collar version is alive and well on the Rage website.

https://www.feradyne.com/hypodermic-trypan-nc/

I don't have a horse in the race really. I have been shooting them with zero issues and great success. I have been shooting the exact head that was in this "review", the version that uses the little retainment rings. If you look at a lot of Rage heads, its pretty easy to see they share the same blade design or shape. By John's account, that would tell me that they'd all break on cardboard. Perhaps he got a pack with flawed blades? Hard to say.

I just know they've been stellar for me to this point. I almost forgot. I did shoot one of them that I "junked" on a deer through a steel drum at 10 yards, just for fun. Bend the blades badly... but still intact, which I'd venture to say would be the result with any head.

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    In my limited experience with the Trypan we had similar results. Big, unsupported blades like that just don't hold up in durability tests. Sevr seems to use a higher quality blade material, and since their blades rotate after opening, they're less prone to breakage since they can move around and redirect some of that force.

Those little notches in the blade that hold the collar in place when closed seem to cause a weak spot where most of them broke.

Bowhuntr64 and muzzyman88 like this.
  13. muzzyman88

Dislikes Received:
    You bring up a really good point. Though I haven't seen it personally, I'm not saying it doesn't happen. Further... they adopted those notched out blades into that no collar system for their standard hypos and the +P's. I'd honestly like to see a test done comparing those style blades to the old standard hypodermic.

I'm always looking for a better mousetrap. In fact, I'm leaning toward going back to my tried and true slick trick heads for simplicity. But its hard to ignore the cutting size of a good mechanical.

I'm actually eyeing the new Slick Trick Torch heads as well. Looks like that one has some potential.

14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I usually carry both mechanicals and fixed blades in my quiver and rotate them from hunt to hunt. Whichever suits my fancy for that particular day.

I interviewed all of the dead deer on my wall yesterday - none of them seemed to care how they ended up there.

MnHunterr and muzzyman88 like this.
  15. cbw

cbw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good vid, John. Keep up the great work!

Bowhuntr64 likes this.
  16. Robert Normand

Robert Normand Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I took two bucks last year with Trypan’s. Excellent blood trail and recovered both deer. Used with a Mathews V3 set at 60 pounds.

17. Bowhuntr64

Dislikes Received:
    I still have the packaging from these. Bought them myself...definitely not knock offs. But I was surprised by their brittleness.

LittleChief likes this.