Rage Test = Total Fail

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by fletch920, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well rest assured if one of those plastic wrapped turkeys is in front of your decoy the head will penetrate.;)

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

You sure are a sarcastic one.

3. Ryan A

Ryan A Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My dad and I have shot 30+ deer over the past 8 years with rages and have yet to have even the slightest complaint about them. The only deer we lost was a deer my dad shot in the air pocket just below the spine. That doe lived and I stuck her 2 weeks later lol. And for people that say they lack in penetration, 95% of the kills have been pass-thru's. We're not using fast bows or extremely heavy arrows either. (My dad has a switchback xt and I shoot the z7). After all that being said, I'm not going to criticize someone using a fixed blade either. You should shoot what you're confident with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That was not sarcasm. It was a reference to the video that is being hailed as a documentary and unbiased.

5. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Who was surprised. The video result was as expected for me. I have seen it first hand more than once. I kind of do expect it. But, I certainly would not overlook a potential weak link in a hunting setup. Just because it can is reason enough to walk away, period.

It just surprises me how many guys will defend large mechanicals when failure rates are what they are. If the failure rates on the limbs of a certain brand of bow was that high, they would get run out of business. I guess the " wait until it fails me" mentality is what intrigues me the most about this product. Especially when the supposed benefit is arguably slim to none.

I knew the video would make for a fun day.

Oh, by the way. I hate Rage. :beer:

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Different topic all together but the air pocket just below the spine is called a lung.

7. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I tuned my bow before I ever started shooting Rage. I can see where they could make you lazy. I started shooting them when they first came out. I've had great luck with them. Personally I've always been skeptical of the 3 blade. I now shoot the 2 Blade Chisel Tip.

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :woot: :jerry:

9. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a harsh opinion.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    YOU DON'T KNOW HIM.:o

11. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    lmfao!

12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well gentlemen I think we about covered it all, I have to head down to the convention center to work, the cocktail reception starts in 15 minutes, if you are not 10 minutes early you are late.

13. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Then you ain't listening very hard. They break too. I had a buddy hit a deer in the shoulder with a Muzzy...two of the three blades broke off. I hit my last buck in the exact same spot on the shoulder with a Rocky Mountain Snyper, same design as Rage...no damage to broadhead, dead deer. Over the years I've had both fixed and mechanical heads bend and break blades, but I have NEVER had a mechanical head not open. No broadhead is perfect.

14. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Or you just hit the deer in a bad place... Just saying :tu:

I don't use mechanicals.

15. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Listening very hard? lol, okee. I said decent quality, if it broke then it wasn't.

That I did, in line with the vitals but it was a mechanical with a kicker blade design that folds back to open. The buck was under me and quartering away. The blades kicked open but at that angle it also kicked the arrow and head out and just cut the buck across the shoulder. My only mistake was taking a shot at an extreme angle but a fixed blade would never had a problem.

16. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This thread has made my day... lol.

Sent from my SM-S820L

17. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I just wanted to stir the pot a little bit haha. Only giving you grief and you know I wouldn't hold that on a guy if he was using a mech or fixed. **** happens.

The only issue I have with this entire thread is that there are not 10 other threads bashing the other brands. The only reason this product gets bashed so much is because of its name.

18. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All I'm saying is you look hard enough someone out there thinks every product is junk. I'm not sure where all these high failure rates are but just skimming through this thread it seems not all that high here. The biggest problem is the marketing and the belief from people that it doesn't matter what you do you'll harvest something with these heads. It's not hard to know that's not true but it's also not true with any fixed blade head either. In the worst of any situation your gonna find failures in no matter what is being used. Take this video, I'm sure if you looked hard enough you could find the same type of test with no problems.

As far as not changing until something goes wrong idk, it would depend on the situation and if it would become a common result. If it something happen once then no I probably wouldn't change, if it happen with all 9 or the heads I have in my case right now then yes I would look at something different. And it seems like alot of people right something off as a 1 and done kinda of thing. But I often wonder some of the other details that go into it besides somebody getting on here and saying well they're junk because this one time....

I tend to make decisions off personal experience and not what someone else says or what they've had happen.

19. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    I think that's exactly what everyone should do, it's just unfortunate in the cases where someone loses a deer before they learn from personal experience. Folks that lose a deer are always already actively looking for something to blame and the equipment is always first in line.

20. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How dare you make your own decisions! Can't you read, mechanical heads are no good, because the opinionated ones say so. The fact that many, many hunters have zero issues with mechanical heads is irrelevant. We are wrong, because the opinionated ones say so.